Cooking

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Do you cook? Do you have any favorite dish that you like to cook? A certain style?

I like the crock pot, because its so easy. Don't have to worry much about it and I can cook a variety of things. Mostly it is some type of bbq or chili though.

ammulu

I do like to try out new dishes that I tend to come across online or on television. I not a into cooking totally but I really wish to prepare some good dishes for my family and friends.

Green-Moo

I like the crock pot, because its so easy.
Crock pots and bread machines should be standard issue to everyone who works outside of the home. Coming home to the scent of casserole & freshly cooked bread is guaranteed to start loosening the tensions of the day.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I enjoy cooking, especially grilling, just about any meat on the grille. Other than that, it's my job to cook breakfast for the family on the weekend. My wife and I take turns cooking during the week, but nothing in particular.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Crock pots and bread machines should be standard issue to everyone who works outside of the home. Coming home to the scent of casserole & freshly cooked bread is guaranteed to start loosening the tensions of the day.
My mom has a bread machine. I think I need to get one. Granted when I was growing up she made the best home made bread that the bread machine could never copy, its still so good.

chocoguy

I think that everyone should learn to cook their meal. Don't be dependent on restaurants because you can save a lot of money if you will be doing your food.

mollyL

I have discovered that a crock pot can be your best friend if you really enjoy various stews and soups. I like to cook things that require lots of veggie chopping in the preparation. I think my favorite kind of cooking is Italian.

chocoguy

I think that my favorite kind of dish is from Filipino dishes. I think that I wouldn't like to try another type of cooking because I'm not sure of the ingredients.

mollyL

I don't know that I have eaten Filipino food before, much less cooked it. What are the main ingredients? Do you have a simple non-meat dish you wouldn't mind sharing?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can make a mean grilled cheese sandwhich . My wife and myself have no children and what we spend at the grocery store vs. dinning out we found it's cheaper just to eat out 3 or 4 times a week as long as if it's a reasonably priced resteraunt .

Green-Moo

When my son was young my partner & I found the same. My son would eat off our plates, and we could get a soup, meat & veg course, desert & wine at an all in price. Now that he eats like a 6 foot quarterback it's cheaper to save the eating out for special occassions so I'm being forced to practice some culinary magic.

mollyL

Ashlar, I agree with you about eating out. Our kids are grown and gone, so we do find ourselves eating out more often. We've realized that if you already have the soda or whatever drink you'd want already cold at home you will save lots more money that way when you're having fast food.

mollyL

Green, I also had an over fix foot son who was always hungry. His standard answer to "how much would you like" was always "as much as I can have." I used to bake bread several times a week (this was before I had a bread machine)and I'd bake several loaves at a time. Our son could take a loaf of bread and butter and cheese and wolf it all down! He never gained an ounce, just got taller!

Green-Moo

Molly, I often tell my kids I'm going to stop feeding them in an attempt to stop them growing out of their clothes!

mollyL

Shoes as well! I swear my son's feet grew in the night just to spite me! At least when he was a growing boy there weren't those basketball shoes that cost hundreds of dollars; he was happy with a pair of high tops every couple of weeks.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I would like to know how a crock pot works. I am good at baking cakes though :)
A crock pot [which is actually a brand name] is a slow cooker. It cooks food at a low, but safe heat over several hours, which is excellent for tenderizing tough cuts of meat. They usually have a high and a low setting, which typically cook a meal of mixed meat, vegetables, and spices in 4 hours or 8 hours respectively. They are designed to be safe to leave on cooking all day while you are gone to work.

S&F

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
My mom has a bread machine. I think I need to get one. Granted when I was growing up she made the best home made bread that the bread machine could never copy, its still so good.
When my kids were still in the house, I enjoyed using the bread machine, but eventually got tired of the hole in the bottom after taking the paddle out of the loaf after cooking.
I started letting the BM do its thing, up to the start of the second rise, then would decant the dough and put it in a conventional loaf pan and cook it in the oven (on a paving stone) when ready.
I finally wore the bearing out on the bottom of the BM loaf pan.

S&F