Cooking

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My daughter was recently diagnosed with a gluten intolerance so I spent a few hours on Saturday making her fettuccine from scratch. It came out great. One of my favorite dishes is Steak Pizzagana. Take a couple of dozen plum tomatoes diced, caramelized onions, diced green and red peppers, spices, and a cup of red wine in a big pot. Let that simmer for a few hours to make a sauce that's nice and chunky. Cook up some pasta. Broil or grill the steak. Serve the steak on top of the pasta covered in the sauce. Silence at the table means a great dish :)

edwmax

I've never heard of 'gluten intolerance'; I'll have to check that out to see what it is. However, I have always avoided food products with high gluten or added gluten content.
Gluten => Glue .... this is the stuff that builds up in one's arteries to form plaque (IMO).

DavisB

I've never heard of 'gluten intolerance'; I'll have to check that out to see what it is. However, I have always avoided food products with high gluten or added gluten content.
Gluten => Glue .... this is the stuff that builds up in one's arteries to form plaque (IMO).
Look it up under Celiac Disease.

Zack

Green, I also had an over fix foot son who was always hungry. His standard answer to "how much would you like" was always "as much as I can have." !
Reminds me of when all 3 boys were home. There were never left-overs.
Whatever was put on the table they ate it all. A gal of milk, a box of cereal and a loaf of bread was an every day thing. I miss those days. Really.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Gluten is the stuff in wheat and other grains that makes bread dough sticky. My daughter may have "celiac disease" but that can only be diagnosed with a biopsy. She doesn't see the point of the pain and expense of the biopsy when changing her diet to be gluten-free has cured all the symptoms and had the nice side effect of her loosing 30 lbs. Since there wasn't a confirmed diagnosis of celiac, we just say gluten intolerant.

I'm amazed at all the food that is processed with gluten. Who would have thought that turkey was processed with a wheat product? We had to be careful of the brand of turkey to get for the holidays.

edwmax

You are correct. Gluten (a wheat or cereal protein) is added to many food products as a cheap additive, binder or thickener. I have been avoiding these types of foods for years, because I believe this Glue (Gluten) is the chief cause of plaque build up in arteries. ... I'm 59yo, a few years ago after a med procedure the Doctor told me there was no buildup in my arteries. ... although I do not have a gluten intolerance problem, I see no reason to change that habit now.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Well, we are scheduled to try the home-made gluten-free pasta tomorrow. If it tastes good, I'll try gluten-free raviolis next :) My Mom taught me to make ravs when i was very young. It takes about 5 hours of hard work but the freezer gets filled with several hundred and there's nothing better than home-made ravs when you need a quick meal :)

berthemp

slow smoked bbq and grilling are my specialties. the slower the better. gives me time to drink more beer.:D

CoachN

Builder Builder
My wife and I love to both eat and cook. We sometimes fight over kitchen rights.

I like to cook Oriental stirfry, Hungarian and Italian dishes and soups. I like meals that only require a fork or spoon (or chopsticks) when it's ready to be eaten.

I also like to experiment on maximizing rock candy growth by sugar super saturation.

I do most of the cooking in the house. While I'm pretty diverse, I really love mediterranean style cooking, Provencal in particular. But the fresh ingredients, and quality seafood, aren't as easy to comeby in outstate Minnesota. I also love to use the smoker when the weather's good. Can do that all day! As a brother said earlier, more time to drink beer. Plus there's my secret rub!