Deism

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I looked into this as part of my spiritual journey, which I found the Freemasonic acceptance of the belief in a singular Deity, but not a particular one, refreshing.

A Deist believes 'god' spin the universe up to speed and walked away.

I personally find that hard to conceive as there are 'interventions' everyday.

G

Gary

I like to discuss this topic, but it seems many get offended when I do. Personally, I feel that religious dogma causes quite a bit of segregation among Man kind. Too many arguments and wars are fought in the name of religion. Feelings get hurt, and people die when we don't agree. That really bugs me.

I study various religions, but have a hard time relating to any one of them specifically. If you look at the Holy Bible for instance, many of the stories told have much older history. Noah's Ark would be a good example. Ever heard the story of Gilgamesh? That's not to say that I think Holy books are rubbish. I find them fascinating. They provide a solid map for those who read them, and also to those who practice their particular faith.

Do I think that something greater than me created the universe? yup. Do I think that there is divine intervention? possibly. That to me, is a Deist.

I agree with Brother Russ, that there many paths to Deity.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
A person's religion/spirituality is a very personal thing, like whether you are a cat or dog person, is one better than an other? Yes, in the eyes of some.

None are really better than another, some are more accepted (aka more popular) than others. However, in the name of 'deity' (lower case purposeful), people will do horrible atrocities to others just because "They" are perceived as not one of us.

Zack

I've read about and talked to a Deist many times and in some ways can identify with Deism( I can also do that with parts of all religions I have read about. "Cherry picking", if you will.)

But from my own experience, I cannot make an argument against "Divine intervention".

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
When I think of Deists , I think of my Grandfather (though he had no concept of Deism). One Sunday morning , we were on horseback riding the fence line (inspecting the fence) when we stopped on a ridge to look down over the farm . I asked him "Why don't you go to church Papa , aren't you religious ?" , he spread his arms out and said "This is my church , out here in nature ."

As Bro. Zack related , "a belief in nature and common sense." . That was my Grandfather up and down . He put no stock in organized religion , but believed in G_d and the natural world around him .

G

Gary

Ashlar2006, I can identify with your Grandfather.
I can too!
Apparently, I am in agreement as well. I'm not knocking organized religion, I just haven't found a path to identify myself with it. I find value in many.

For me, one can be spiritual without religion. I do however understand the flip side of the coin, and support and respect those who feel otherwise.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have always agreed with those words of my Grandfather .

I get very little out of going to church though I have tried (and tried hard) . Sadly , I have never found G_d in a building by listening the words of another man . But like Gary , I am not knocking organized religion , merely I personally get nothing out of it .

Nature is more ...umm... tangible . The feel of the wind and sun on my face , the sounds of the birds chirping and singing in the trees , the beauty of a flower , the smell of the soil , the rain that gives life to the plants , the ebb and flow of the tides , the fish that swim in the waters , deer standing in the field as the sun rises in the morning , when my dog sits in my lap and looks up at me with such trusting eyes and on and on and on . I see G_d in all these things and it is something I can relate too .

I can stroll through the woods , and it is a spiritual moment , I look around in amazement at all that G_d has accomplished and get a chill up my spine . Such wonders to behold . Maybe I am a deist , lol !? Or maybe I am not making any sense .

CoachN

Builder Builder
I have always agreed with those words of my Grandfather .

I get very little out of going to church though I have tried (and tried hard) . Sadly , I have never found G_d in a building by listening the words of another man . But like Gary , I am not knocking organized religion , merely I personally get nothing out of it .

Nature is more ...umm... tangible . The feel of the wind and sun on my face , the sounds of the birds chirping and singing in the trees , the beauty of a flower , the smell of the soil , the rain that gives life to the plants , the ebb and flow of the tides , the fish that swim in the waters , deer standing in the field as the sun rises in the morning , when my dog sits in my lap and looks up at me with such trusting eyes and on and on and on . I see G_d in all these things and it is something I can relate too .

I can stroll through the woods , and it is a spiritual moment , I look around in amazement at all that G_d has accomplished and get a chill up my spine . Such wonders to behold . Maybe I am a deist , lol !? Or maybe I am not making any sense .
113:1-3 His disciples said to him, "When will the Father's Kingdom come?" (Jesus said) "It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' 'Rather, the Father's Kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it." -- Gospel According to Thomas​

I posted this because I am interested in others thoughts..... all to often, when this or other topics are discussed many have a different understanding and dont find the dictionary definition the most accurate. I have heard "deism" simply describe as another word for monotheism. My confusion or curiosity is : is deism the general dogma for the believe in a single deity?? From the dictionary definition (Deism | Define Deism at Dictionary.com) I get the impression that a deist is one who believes in a god but not a particular dogma....

Well... I do find the "Deism" concept kinda interesting, I will have to say ( I know this will be a HUGE surprise).......... I am not a deist...... I can understand why some would consider themselves a deist but it just isnt my cup of tea.....

G

Gary

Well... I do find the "Deism" concept kinda interesting, I will have to say ( I know this will be a HUGE surprise).......... I am not a deist...... I can understand why some would consider themselves a deist but it just isnt my cup of tea.....
Put a lump of sugar in it... :p

I think that many who aren't Deist's don't understand the concept because of the dogma they are taught in their religion. It generally doesn't leave any room for that kind of thinking. Which doesn't surprise me at all.

If you are interested in studying myth and religion by comparison. Pick up a video or book by Joseph Campbell. Doing so will give you a keen insight as to how and why man needs religion, and how myth develops that religion.

You may be right on not understanding the concept.... but for me, I dont think my religious beliefs hold me back.... for me, I feel it is just a different perspective.