Deism

G

Gary

You may be right on not understanding the concept.... but for me, I dont think my religious beliefs hold me back.... for me, I feel it is just a different perspective.
That's why I said 'many', not most. Viewing religion from many different perspectives can not only be educational, it can enrich your own particular beliefs.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...If you are interested in studying myth and religion by comparison. Pick up a video or book by Joseph Campbell. Doing so will give you a keen insight as to how and why man needs religion, and how myth develops that religion.
Joe Campbell should be manditory viewing. His "Power of Myth" and "Transformations of myth through time" are great primers for those who have never stepped out of their box. He confirmed and gave voice to something I had suspected all my life.

Another winner is Rabbi Harold Kusner's book "When bad things happen to good people." Awesome! It was through his book that I gave myself permission to think for myself in matters of Faith and not be afraid to do so.

Zack

The Rabbi's book is a great one. It helped me through a difficult situation and opened my mind to things other than the dogma I was raised with. I still read it every few years.

G

Gary

Joe Campbell should be manditory viewing. His "Power of Myth" and "Transformations of myth through time" are great primers for those who have never stepped out of their box. He confirmed and gave voice to something I had suspected all my life.

Another winner is Rabbi Harold Kusner's book "When bad things happen to good people." Awesome! It was through his book that I gave myself permission to think for myself in matters of Faith and not be afraid to do so.
I have the Mythos series saved on Netflix. The Power of Myth is on my bookshelf. It's an excellent read. Campbell was an amazing man. I continue to find his lectures very enlightening.

The Rabbi's book is a great one. It helped me through a difficult situation and opened my mind to things other than the dogma I was raised with. I still read it every few years.
I've never read the Rabbi's book, but I have heard of it. I'll have to look into that one.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
113:1-3 His disciples said to him, "When will the Father's Kingdom come?" (Jesus said) "It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' 'Rather, the Father's Kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it." -- Gospel According to Thomas​
Thanks for that Coach .

I love these conversations .

G

Gary

Coach, you are the only person I know who posts quotes from the Nag Hamadi. :cool:

Winter

I've been here before
I've understood deism for many years, but I've never looked at it in relation to my own Judaism. So, I cracked open my Jewish Encyclopedia to see what it had to say! :)

"The question as to what God has been occupied with since the creation is the subject of rabbinical speculations (Lev. R. iii., viii.; Gen. R. lxviii.; Pesiḳ. 11b; compare Midr. Sam. v.; Tan., ed. Buber, Bemidbar, xviii.; Tan., ed. Buber, Maṭṭot, end; Tan., Ki Teẓe, beginning). God presides over the births of men (Nid. 31a; Lev. R. xiv.; Tan., Tazria'). He takes care that the race shall notdie out (Pes. 43b; Pesiḳ R. xv.). Even the instinctive actions of animals are caused by God, and so is He the power and will behind the acts of terrestrial governments (Eccl. R. x.11). None wounds a finger without God's will (Ḥul. 7b). God sends the wind that the farmer may have wherewith to live (Pesiḳ. 69a; Lev. R. xxviii.; Eccl. R. i. 3; Pesiḳ. R. xviii.). God assigns the fate of the nations and of individuals (R. H. i. 2). Man's life is in the hand of God (Lam. R. iii. 39). Not alone the creation of the world, but also its preservation (Gen. R. xiii.; Eccl. R. i. 7, iii. 11; Gen. R. ix.; Midr. Teh. to Ps. ix.), as well as the destiny of man and mankind, is subject to God's constant guidance. In fact, creation was never considered finished (Ḥag. 12a). As the daily morning prayer has it: "[God] createth a new creation every day, everlastingly" compare Reḳanati, "Ta'ame ha-Miẓwot," p. 37, and "Aḳedat Yiẓḥaḳ," gate iv.). Albo ("'Iḳḳarim," iii. 26) calls attention to the distinctive element of the Jewish God-conception which associates Him not merely, "as some philosophers do," with the creation, but also with the direction of the world after creation.

These ideas of God's government are expressed in the Jewish prayer-books (especially for Rosh ha-Shanah), and are in one way or another put forth by the philosophers. The question how God's government is compatible with human freedom has kept the Jewish thinkers on the alert; but, whatever their answer, none disputes God's supremacy and government (Saadia, "Emunot we-De'ot," iv.). Ibn Gabirol assumes that God's direction is carried into effect through "mediating forces." Judah ha-Levi's discussion of the names of the Deity (Elohim and Yhwh) proves his antideistic convictions. "Ehyeh asher ehyeh" indicates God's constant presence in Israel and His help ("Cuzari," iv. 1, ii. 7). Maimonides' discussion of Providence ("Moreh," iii. 17) is also antideistic, though largely influenced by the pseudo-Aristotelian doctrine that Providence does not extend to the care of individuals.

Deism posits the moral freedom of man, his predisposition to virtue: so does Judaism (Ber. 33b). "All is in the hands of God save the fear of God" is the Talmudical formula for a doctrine resting on Biblical teachings, and accepted by Jewish theology. Judaism is theistic, not deistic."

G

Gary

Thanks for sharing Winter. It was interesting to hear from a Jewish perspective.

Zack

Albo ("'Iḳḳarim," iii. 26) calls attention to the distinctive element of the Jewish God-conception which associates Him not merely, "as some philosophers do," with the creation, but also with the direction of the world after creation.."
I remember my Father-in-law quoting this 30+ years ago.
Although he was comfortable with some parts of Deism this was one of several places that that he disagreed. He would not believe that we were left alone "to paddle our own boat" as he put it to me.
Thanks for the memory jog Winter.

J

Joyrock

While I no longer identify myself as a Deist I do thank Deism for freeing me from faith. For that I'll always be thankful.

I have found all I need in Zen. My views can be summed up through a simple Zen phrase accredited to Tozan.

"When there is a sound I hear. When I open my eyes I see. There is nothing more than this."

I find it beautiful and empowering.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
While I no longer identify myself as a Deist I do thank Deism for freeing me from faith. For that I'll always be thankful.

I have found all I need in Zen. My views can be summed up through a simple Zen phrase accredited to Tozan.

"When there is a sound I hear. When I open my eyes I see. There is nothing more than this."

I find it beautiful and empowering.
Does that preclude a belief in a Supreme Being? This a requirement of the Masonry I am part of. What Grand Lodge is Lodge Napoleon Bonaparte a part of?

S&F