Do petitioners ever get turned down?

Green-Moo

How often would petitions get turned down? I imagine it's fairly uncommon as prospective petitioners must be fairly dedicated to get to that stage.

mollyL

That's a good question; I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Could you tell us what kind of offenses bar a person from becoming a Mason?

mollyL

Just checking; I was told that the phrase "black balled" comes from the Masons; is that an old fashioned reference, or are white and black balls still used when voting about a prospective member?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The petition doesn't get turned down , but if we find out he is not an upright and just person then we will take care of him at the Ballot box.

cemab4y

Candidates are rejected when required!

The requirements for Masonry are clearly stated on the web sites of most of the Grand Lodges in the USA. The requirements are simple:

-Male
-Mature of Age (18 some states, 21 most states)
-Belief in God
-Good moral character
-Some states have a residency requirement. Georgia requires three years, California one year, Kentucky only requires that you be a resident of Kentucky. I belong to a lodge in New York state, and I have never lived there)

When a man submits an application to Masonry (called a "petition"), the lodge will assign an investigation team to check on the applicant's background and character. If it is revealed that he has a felony conviction, he does not meet the requirement of "good moral character". If he is wife-beater, a drug user, or an immoral person, then he is likewise an unfit candidate for Masonry.

If the committee determines that the candidate will not be worthy to be initiated into the fraternity, then his application will normally be rejected, without a vote by the lodge as a whole. The Worshipful Master has the option of proceeding with a vote, at his discretion.

Voting is done by the whole lodge. White balls accept, and black cubes reject. (The term "blackball" is generic, most lodges use black CUBES so that there will be no confusion about the vote).

If there is one black cube in the ballot box, the vote is re-taken, as there might have been a mistake. If, on the second ballot, there is a black cube present, then the lodge is asked, who cast the rejection. The individual is required to rise and state his objection to the candidate. The rejection must be a valid one, that did not come up in the investigation. If there are multiple black cubes, then the candidate is rejected immediately.

Becoming a mason is a serious and life-long committment. The process is designed to be difficult, to ensure that the membership is composed of good and ethical men. Only the highest quality of candidate is acceptable.

Hope this answers your question!

Green-Moo

It does give me a clearer understanding, thanks.

Please excuse my questioning further though. The felony conviction rule, does it have a time limit on it? A felony record that is 20, 30 + years old does not seem to me to necessarily point to a lack of moral standing today, given that the individual has had many years to repent and to reform.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It does give me a clearer understanding, thanks.

Please excuse my questioning further though. The felony conviction rule, does it have a time limit on it? A felony record that is 20, 30 + years old does not seem to me to necessarily point to a lack of moral standing today, given that the individual has had many years to repent and to reform.
I was talking to the Grand Master on the subject of felonies . If a man has ever had a felony on his record , then he can not petition a lodge in KY. It doesn't matter when , where and how .

cemab4y

Since each Grand Lodge is separate from each other (There is no Grand Lodge of the USA), each Grand Lodge has its own particular requirements. In some states, a felony conviction may not be grounds for refusal. The nature of the offense, the individual's rehabilitation, may all be considered.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If there is one black cube in the ballot box, the vote is re-taken, as there might have been a mistake. If, on the second ballot, there is a black cube present, then the lodge is asked, who cast the rejection. The individual is required to rise and state his objection to the candidate. The rejection must be a valid one, that did not come up in the investigation. If there are multiple black cubes, then the candidate is rejected immediately.

You are talking about lodges outside of Ky , right ? I ask this because , In Ky , it is considered unmasonic conduct to tell others how you voted and you can not ask others how they voted (this came straight from the Grand Masters mouth) . We can blackball or object to a candidate from moving through the degrees without giving a reason (again , out of the mouth of the Grand Master ) . This is the first time I've ever heard of someone having to stand up and tell why they voted the way they did . I'll tell you this , if I blackballed someone it would be for a good reason and nobodies buisness but my own . Having to tell the Craft why a person dropped a blackball defeats the purpose of a secret ballot .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
The requirements for Masonry are clearly stated on the web sites of most of the Grand Lodges in the USA. The requirements are simple:

-Male
-Mature of Age (18 some states, 21 most states)
-Belief in God
-Good moral character
-Some states have a residency requirement. Georgia requires three years, California one year, Kentucky only requires that you be a resident of Kentucky. I belong to a lodge in New York state, and I have never lived there)
If I may add or clarify one thing, not trying to dispute, however, the statement of "Belief in God" is technically incorrect. As stated on the petition they are to believe in a "Supreme Being".
I only state this because, freemasonry is worldwide, and obviously not every religion "Believes in God". Their deities as they exist are considered their "Supreme Being" Christians, Jewish, Buddists, Muslims, etc. all have their "Supreme Being" but they are not called "God"
Freemasonry co-exists across so many religions, It shows as a fraternal organization who can meet on the level regardless of religion.

As far as rejection of a candidate, this happens infrequently, this is because of the investigation phase. As stated in another thread, the investigation normally takes place at the candidates home. It is during this time those investigating him make the decision as to recommend or not recommend the candidate. If the do not recommend him, he is never voted on until the objection has been addressed.

It really should never get to a vote and a candidate be rejected.

This of course is just my opinion.

Green-Moo

As far as rejection of a candidate, this happens infrequently, this is because of the investigation phase. As stated in another thread, the investigation normally takes place at the candidates home. It is during this time those investigating him make the decision as to recommend or not recommend the candidate. If the do not recommend him, he is never voted on until the objection has been addressed.
So would the objection be discussed with the candidate and he be given an opportunity to work on it then?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Normally they will immediately inform the candidate of their feelings, the candidate would then have the opportunity to address it. The only way this should happen is if it is a masonic reason, personal feelings about an individual is not a masonic reason. So if there is a masonic reason, it will be an immediate response to the candidate.

cemab4y

The nature and depth of the investigation varies widely from state to state. (Keep in mind, I have lived all over the USA, and 11 years in foreign countries). Some states do not interview the candidate at all. Some states require the candidate to be interviewed in person, by the examining committee.

If the investigation committee turns up a reason for the candidate not to be admitted into Masonry, the committee is required to report this objection back to the lodge. If the finding is such, that the candidate does not meet the qualifications for Masonry, then the Worshipful Master has the option to cease the application process, without going to the full lodge for a vote.

Because of this procedure, a candidate with a confirmed reason for non-admission will normally be determined, prior to a ballot being taken.

Of course, different grand Lodges have different procedures, so my comments on this topic may not necessarily apply to all states.

Green-Moo

So in answer to my original question, very few petitioners are rejected because by the time they get to that stage those considered unsuitable for FreeMasonry have already been weeded out?

Do you get many applications that are weeded out in the early stages then?

cemab4y

In my 25 years in Masonry, I have only seen two instances where a ballot was unfavorable. And one of those applicants had a felony record. I cannot say how many applications are denied prior to balloting, because such cases are generally not submitted to the open lodge.

The requirements to petition Freemasonry are not terribly stringent. And there must be reasonable and necessary grounds for rejection. You cannot reject an applicant, just because you do not like his earring or tattoo. Most applicant who are rejected, have a felony record, or some other form of moral turpitude. No atheist can be made a mason.

With membership declining, some states are relaxing their requirements, and permitting men to join, who in previous years, may have been rejected.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have seen quit a few blackballed for many different reasons . One was blackballed because we found out he is unfaithful to his wife . A man who cheats on his wife has no honor . One for not paying his child support . Like stated before , no honor . And one for the simple reason that he stated to us on the investigating commitee that he didn't care about being a Mason ,he just wanted to join the Shrine . And as BG-TRBL stated , some petitioners whom we found has done something ,like felonies , that would hurt his chances at the ballot box was given the chance to withdrawl his petition .

Some have even filed an objection against an EA from being passed to a Fellowcraft because of his actions since being initiated . After the objection has been filed , the EA has to wait six months till he can be up to be Passed to the degree of a Fellowcraft and if the person who objected the first time objects again , then he'll have to wait another six months , and so on , and so on .

Green-Moo

I have seen quit a few blackballed for many different reasons . One was blackballed because we found out he is unfaithful to his wife . A man who cheats on his wife has no honor . One for not paying his child support . Like stated before , no honor .
Sound like fair enough reasons to me. I wonder if prospective Masons know how in depth the investigation will be?

And one for the simple reason that he stated to us on the investigating commitee that he didn't care about being a Mason ,he just wanted to join the Shrine .
How stupid? That's like answering 'yes' to the questions at the airport when they ask you if you've ever been involved in terrorism & then wondering why they don't let you past Go.

And as BG-TRBL stated , some petitioners whom we found has done something ,like felonies , that would hurt his chances at the ballot box was given the chance to withdrawl his petition .
That does sound fair. A chance to withdraw gracefully.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You'd be surprised , I've been asked several times by men who want petitions for the degrees of Masonry so they can join the Shrine . Even my own brother and his friend want petitions so , as they stated , "party at the shrine" .They go to all the Shrine's public functions . It's been 3 years now since they starting asking for those petitions and they are still waiting .