female freemasons

antoninus9

Oh! I forgot to address your question about the GOdF. The Grand Master's paper is a bit confusing unless you are familiar with how the GOdF works.

It is true that they don't make female Masons, but they do recognize female Masons as legitimate sisters. I know this sounds rather odd, but there is a method to their madness.

The French are very realistic about things. The realize that female Masons do indeed exist and that they know all the same secrets as male Masons. So what is one to do? Deny their existence?

The answer for them was to remain a male-only fraternity while recognizing and accepting the sisters. Women can visit GOdF lodges but GOdF lodges cannot make female Masons.

After having met with several female Masonic groups it seems this is a perfectly satisfactory answer for them as well. They don't want men in their lodges all the time because they want a little time alone with their sisters. While they welcome male Masons as visitors, they don't want a steady flow of guys hanging around.

From what I've learned thus far it seems that there is a need for three distinct types of Freemasonry: male-only, female-only, and mixed-gender. All of these groups practice the same basic forms of Freemasonry and have a similar ideology. It seems to me that the Craft could gain much from trying to work together in peace and harmony with everyone else. That's just my opinion.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I agree with your premise that we should all work together toward a common goal/good/idea. This I accept without provocation or discussion. The conflict comes when you are identifying an individual as a "mason" regardless, as having been in "mainstream" masonry as you have stated, you have received the same (or should be very very similar) degrees which I have received. Having done this do you renounce your affiliation with freemasonry? If you have participated in the making, you have wronged the grand lodge, regardless of the district under which you reside. This is my interpretation of the degrees.
Having not been recognized as masons or made masons by the grand lodge or subordinate lodge, how can they be considered masons?
I understand that they have obtained the information through your information, and they practice the same or similar rituals however if they are not or have not been made masons, how do you justify the wording of female freemasons? (I have worked in the emergency room with doctors and nurses, have participated in procedures there, however, I am not considered a doctor or a nurse, or that I may complete those procedures independently; by having the information or practicing these precedures, should I call myself a doctor or nurse??)
I truly do have an open mind, and I feel a fairly decent intelligence level, everything in my mind is trying to reason with the information, but one statistic or fact still holds true. There are no female freemasons recognized or raised by the grand lodge or any subordinate lodge working under the jurisdiction thereof. If they are not recognized as mason's how are they considered female mason's ?
To answer your other question, I feel that freemasonry is a fraternity or brotherhood of man, who meet as equals with the purpose of providing information and intelligence to the brethren. It is also a group of individuals (males) who live by principles to elevate and enoble all mankind, I strongly feel these principles are important and should be shared and demonstrated in public life as well as private matters. I again agree that females, elders, youths are also able to follow these tenants of freemasonry as described, but without petitioning, investigation, and initiation into freemasonry by a regularly warranted lodge.

Thank you again for the information, and bye the way, do you agree with my statements??

I look forward to your response.

Green-Moo

I see by the use of the explanation points that I must have angered you .
No you didn't, not at all!! I've got a far thicker skin than that :p

My point is that so long as mainstream FreeMasonry does not accept women members, then the general assumption will be that they are rejecting women because they don't think they're good enough. Most people don't know enough about FreeMasonry to understand the technicalities that are being discussed in this thread.

Green-Moo

Please forgive me; I am not any kind of Masonic member, but being a woman I feel I should say this. Your reasoning reminds me of the late 60s and early 70s when women were looking for equality and things were changing. There was the big buzz about "well, what do we call them? Chair persons, Mrs Speaker, CongressWoman? Take stewardesses out of miniskirts and call them something different?" Well, that doesn't sound as weird at it did then, because we use these titles and words all the time. It seems to me that people worry and gripe about change, but then they eventually accept it, and it didn't turn into the disaster people feared.

It reminds me of the argument about allowing women into the Church. Well it's happened now, and the world hasn't ended yet.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No you didn't, not at all!! I've got a far thicker skin than that :p

My point is that so long as mainstream FreeMasonry does not accept women members, then the general assumption will be that they are rejecting women because they don't think they're good enough. Most people don't know enough about FreeMasonry to understand the technicalities that are being discussed in this thread.

Point well taken . Just got the wires crossed , that's all .

Rolez

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a straight answer to your question. It is a situation in which there is no correct answer. Free-masonry was established based on the "stone-masons" which were men. These traditions have been up-held throughout the establishment of modern day free-masonry. Those master masons reading this will admit that it would be interesting to see the degree conferred on a woman, however I highly doubt that we will ever see it. There are adjunct organizations which have been established for the females. There has been a long established track record for the free-masons without females (however, please don't take that as a "good-ole boys club") The premise behind the free-masons of today is "Making good men better"
Does this mean that masonary helps men only? and not women? When the core perspective behind masonary is helping people then why differ between men and women?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Does this mean that masonary helps men only? and not women? When the core perspective behind masonary is helping people then why differ between men and women?
By no means does this mean that masonry only helps men. Masonry helps those in need, it is a "fraternity" which strives to assist the communities in which there is a need. You may have misunderstood the premise behind the post. Freemasonry is restricted to male membership, adjunct bodies have been established for the ladies of masons. This doesn't mean that masonry will not or does not help females, merely that females are not permitted to become members of the fraternity.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
BG_TRBL said it well. Females are helped, especially widows of masons, as there are programs set forth to help them. They are just prevented from joining the fraternity.

Pembridge

Re: Female Freemasons.

Greetings from England,

Within the U.S.A. women cannot attain the full recognition which is attached to male Freemasonry.

However; in Great Britain there are two female Masonic Orders.

I belong to the largest; The Order of Women Freemasons, who, this year celebrated it's centenary.

The Order is now acknowledged by the United Grand Lodge of England.

My husband (a Metropolitan Officer) states that we are more strict than they.

It is possible for American females to join this Order, as we have several Lodges in Toronto, Canada. This being possible as it is part of the Commonwealth, over which, Her Majesty reigns.

Within my yearbook, there are two members in one Lodge who travel from Kentucky to attend their meetings in Canada. As their privacy must be respected, please don't ask me to divulge names - as a point of contact.

Whilst we do not crave recognition from the dominant male sector - it must be said that that we equally neither offer it!

I truly hope that the ignorant are now enlightened.

Pembridge

Re: Female Freemasons II.

I forgot to add....

We are "Regular" and acknowledged as such by U.G.L.E.

However, Co-Masonry, Quasi-Masonry etc, is most definitely NOT, in many Regular Order's view.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have done a lot of thinking and reading about female Freemasons here as of late . Though my GL does not recognize women as Freemasons and I still like my all male Fraternity , I have since changed my own thoughts and perceptions concerning female Freemasons and have gained a tremendous amount of respect for them . I guess it comes from the wisdom of becoming older and growing as a person , that is what Masonry is about is it not ? Learning , growing , subduing our passions and striving to be a better person . From the reading I have done , these fine ladies/Masons take there Freemasonry very , very seriously and I applaud them . Everyone should be able to enjoy Freemasonry and what it has to offer , just because we do not recognize one another , to each there own , live and let live and so on and so forth .

Pembridge , is there a website and/or reading material attached to your order where I can study further of your history ? I'm really only interested in your order that is recognized by the UGLE and not co-masonry and as you so aptly put it "Quasi-Masonry" (I love that).

Pembridge

Good evening,

Yes indeed, there is a web-site for my Order, being: <http://www.owf.org.uk/>

In addition to which, the "other order" (who broke from us) have a web-site too; <http://www.hfaf.org/>

From 4th June - 19 December, both female Orders have an exhibition set in the Masonic Museum with U.G.L.E.'S Freemason's Hall, Great Queen Street, London. Namely; Women and Freemasonry.

Here's a link from The Times;
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/court_and_social/article3620126.ece>
However, I would like to point out that the Times' reporter didn't exactly research accurately (so what's new) and that the lady bearing the sword and bare arms (tut, tut) is NOT of our Order ... but, the "other one"!

I am pleased to enlighten, within reason. I had previously registered with another American Masonic site - only to rapidly remove myself, for I was getting STRANGE e-mails. Rather renegade, really, oh dear.

Pembridge

Ashlar,

Lest not forget; U.G.L.E. acknowledge The Order of Women Freemasons - this in itself can be quite different from "recognising" (truly).

Acknowledge; accept or admit the existence or truth of:

Recognise; identify (someone or something) from having encountered them;
As male Masons cannot encounter us (i.e.; whilst working) - this term cannot respectfully apply.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar,

Lest not forget; U.G.L.E. acknowledge The Order of Women Freemasons - this in itself can be quite different from "recognising" (truly).

Acknowledge; accept or admit the existence or truth of:

Recognise; identify (someone or something) from having encountered them;
As male Masons cannot encounter us (i.e.; whilst working) - this term cannot respectfully apply.
I realize and understood the difference . Just an error on my part .

As for your other post about the inappropriate e-mails/PM's , if you recieve any here just let one of us know and we will deal with it .

Pembridge

I realize and understood the difference . Just an error on my part .

As for your other post about the inappropriate e-mails/PM's , if you recieve any here just let one of us know and we will deal with it .
Good evening Ashlar,

I thank you for taking care of me and the offer of putting right should another wrong. I must say, I am quite taken by your site, it's rather "English" - meaning, informing whilst reserved.

Sorry to have not made the previous links live - but I didn't know how to, until sending off my last post.

Have you yet looked up the web-sites (although limited in content)?

Our Order have produced the most wonderful dvd (my husband's words), which shows the full aspect of the Centenary Celebration. My Brethren are viewed in full regalia. In addition to which, it wasn't a "closed shop", as we were allowed to invite non-Masons too (as the audience will prove).
Here's the rub tho'; In order to raise money, a dvd is £15 (£22.57±) - so it isn't the done thing to provide a copy, for fear of defeating the purpose!
Our Most Worshipful, The Grand Master, handed over two cheques to charity. Each cheque was for £250,000 each ($376,237.43±).

First and foremost; Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.

Kind regards,
Pembridge.

Enoch

whats the big deal?

I dont understand why there is an issue with females not generally being associated with Freemasonry?

Because I am white, I could care less about joining the Black Panthers, nor would I expect them to let me in. Because I am catholic, I could care less about the Jewish not letting me in there religion. Because I am American, I could care less about Mexico not letting me in without a Passport.

And because I am male, I could care less about not being allowed to take benifit from the National Organization for Women (NOW).

I guess I should go apply for the Eastern Stars now, and let my son be a Rainbow Girl or join the Girl Scouts, and let my daughter join the all boys wrestling team!

Lighten up people!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If you are a man and a Master Mason you CAN go join the Order of the Eastern Star ,so I don't understand using that as an example . The OES is not a "women's only " organization . So yeah , if you are a MM , by all means go petition the OES , they would love to have you and could use the support . Being the Associate Patron , soon to be Worthy Patron , I love the OES and have a great time in it and recommend it to any and all MM's and their wives , daughters ,Mothers , sisters etc; etc; .

Enoch

If you are a man and a Master Mason you CAN go join the Order of the Eastern Star ,so I don't understand using that as an example . The OES is not a "women's only " organization . So yeah , if you are a MM , by all means go petition the OES , they would love to have you and could use the support . Being the Associate Patron , soon to be Worthy Patron , I love the OES and have a great time in it and recommend it to any and all MM's and their wives , daughters ,Mothers , sisters etc; etc; .
I never stated you couldnt join the OES, I was just alluding to that it doesnt bother me to join the group. Altho you kindly exluded the real examples :)

Fraternities and sororities (from the Latin words frater and soror, meaning "brother" and "sister" respectively)

A fraternity is a fraternity and sororities are sororities.

I am not handicap, but I should go apply for the benifits since we are all equal anyways right? I am not 65, but I should get my retirement too. Shoot why stop there, I dont own a business but I should be able to write off all my taxes for business purpose too. I am no actor but they should let me be part of their guild. I dont own a home, but I should get a mortgage rebate check.

There is a time when it's nonsense. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind females wanting to be Masons, only the fact that some complain about it and bring up the "equality" issue.

I think most people are bored and have too much time on their hands.