Freemasons and the Jedi Order

Winter

I've been here before
Yes, Jedi. As in the ones from the Star Wars franchise. o_O

As some of you know, I am a bit of a Star Wars nut. I have been for decades. For those of you that do not know this little tidbit about me, this picture of me on Coruscant after graduating from the Imperial Flight Academy should dispel any doubts.

So, now you know I like Star Wars.

I was reading my copy of "The Jedi Path." Not a bad little book and an interesting read.
http://www.amazon.com/Jedi-Path-Star-Daniel-Wallace/dp/1452102279
It is written as an instruction book for young initiates into the Jedi Order and meant to be passed on to new initiates from the older ones. As such the margins are filled with the notes of the previous owners. And a few chapters into the book and I am getting a strong sense of deja vu. It is looking more and more familiar with every page. The instructions and symbolism are unmistakably Masonic. And not even subtly either! Here are some of the examples that popped out at me.

The Jedi Order is divided into three levels (not counting the babies, refered to as Jedi Initiates, which I believe is a misnomer) of Padawan, Knight, and Master.

I particularly like the statement about travelling. Reading the descriptions made me want to rename the names of our degrees! LoL Not really, but that would be cool. ;)

At the front of the Jedi Temple are three pillars denoting the Force, Wisdom, and Self Discipline. Sounding familiar yet?

And these are just 2 of the 160 pages of this fascinating little read. Particularly for die hard SW fans.

The book made me think about how post early 1900's in America the Freemasons shifted from an Esoteric order within the Western Mystery Tradition to a Fraternity with a civic/charity focus.

What would the result be if we moved to a more mystic/esoteric stance with a focus on the rituals and the personal development contained within to strengthen ourselves, which in turn would allow us to be of more aid to our fellow human being?

Maybe we need robes with hoods? :p

Winter

I've been here before
I didn't see anything in the Jedidiah page that jumped out as easily connectable to the Jedi in Star Wars. I haven't finished the Solomon page. Were there specific passages you were referring to with these links, Coach?

edwmax

Of the columns, I see a Level, Plumb, and 2 triangles (heaven & earth).
... well, someone had to say it ....

edwmax

That depend on whether you see black triangles or white triangles; pieces vs the 'whole' ... the trees vs the Forest.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I didn't see anything in the Jedidiah page that jumped out as easily connectable to the Jedi in Star Wars. I haven't finished the Solomon page. Were there specific passages you were referring to with these links, Coach?
Soloman's God given name was JEDIdiah. That is a compound name.

Winter

I've been here before
Soloman's God given name was JEDIdiah. That is a compound name.
Yes, but the first part of the compound is yod dalet dalet (ydd) Not yod dalet yod (ydi), which would make the first part of the compound jedi. Sorry. ;)

Bill_F

Oh, Ok. I've read about the 501st Legion before. They do some great work.
Now if they could just stop blowing up planets, everyone could get along.

Bill_F

But to get back to your OP, I've seen that book on Amazon , and read the previews that they let you see, and never really connected it to the Craft. But there really are some similarities!! Makes you wonder about the contributors to the book being Brothers.

Winter

I've been here before
George Lucas took a lot of his inspiration for the Jedi in the original trilogy from the classic Akira Kurosawa films, Yojimbo in particular. Some scenes, like the cantina scene are right out of the movie.