Freemasons and the Jedi Order

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Most great, sustained religions offer the same themes: reverence, watch your language, don't murder, be true to your spouse, don't steal.
Maybe there are also common themes in sustained fraternal organizations, even fictional ones.

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
Most great, sustained religions offer the same themes: reverence, watch your language, don't murder, be true to your spouse, don't steal.
Maybe there are also common themes in sustained fraternal organizations, even fictional ones.
S&F
I wasn't referring to the overall themes that are common to pretty much every religion and religious order in the world. I was pointing out specifics such as the degrees within the order and their roles and the pillars at the front of the temple and their symbolism.

Winter

I've been here before
Soloman's God given name was JEDIdiah. That is a compound name.
The compound name that you are using here is the anglicized version of the Hebrew name. This version adds in vowels that are not present in the Hebrew name, meaning there is no "Jedi" in the Hebrew name of Jedidiah. And if you were using the anglicized version, I believe the break would be Jedid-Iah.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The compound name that you are using here is the anglicized version of the Hebrew name. This version adds in vowels that are not present in the Hebrew name, meaning there is no "Jedi" in the Hebrew name of Jedidiah. And if you were using the anglicized version, I believe the break would be Jedid-Iah.
Oh! Thanks Brother,

I can see now why you thought this was a theory and how it doesn't hold for you.

So you know how my mind works. What I shared with you was a metaphorical connection that I saw and found truth in. My experience of words is that they continually morph, dropping letters here and there and adding letters elsewhere, especially when they are poetically and creatively used within another language unconstrained by the original source language rules. I see this occur continuously with words and have seen numerous examples over the years. It's amazing how they can dramatically change in the hands of truly creative people who are making effort to mask just enough of what they are doing to bring grins to the continences of those looking for these subtle bread crumbs. I believe George was doing this with his created lore.

That is why I quickly saw truth in the connections that I shared with you. Having a slightly "illegal but creatively" altered version of Jedidiah, appearing as the truncated "Jedi", (from Jedid; Yedid - alluding to God, Lord, Love, and Greatly Loved By, etc...), from a name associated with Solomon, known for Wisdom, and use it as a variation within a Sci-Fi film to depict the strong, wise defenders of the "better" side of the Force just seems like the kind a thing that George L. would want to intimate in his creation. God Knights; Lord Knights; Love Knights, Greatly Loved Knights... It just adds a whole different level of understanding to the lore.

You can do the same with Darth Vadar (sanskrit) => Dark Knowledge. Try some of this fuzzy logic out with "Sith" when you get a chance.

But that's just me and how my mind works. Your connections appear to operate in a different manner and with different rules.

SMIB!

F&S,

Coach

Winter

I've been here before
I agree there is hidden meaning in everything that we can always learn from. But your method implies you can change words to make them suit the truth you want to find. At some point, you're just making stuff up. lol Well, I guess it is all made up anyway. ;)

CoachN

Builder Builder
I agree there is hidden meaning in everything that we can always learn from.
Good. It is the basis of Allegory.
But your method implies you can change words to make them suit the truth you want to find.
Only if you choose to dismiss a long tradition and history of word morphing. It's not that I can; it's that I see it done endlessly within historical documents and literature, both made up and reported, and don't act like it doesn't.
... Well, I guess it is all made up anyway. ;)
No Doubt There! :D

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
Speaking of making things up:

When you consider that Lucas MADE UP those names, it's not surprising that, sometimes, he went to familiar roots to give an impression. Heck, Darth SIDIOUS ("insidious") General GRIEVOUS, ("a grievous wound"), etc. You might have noticed a similar thing in all the names in Harry Potter.

Dude. They're made up words, and don't mean squat.

Then again, I took linguistics in college, and we ran into this sort of kaka all the time, so I'm really lacking in patience with it.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Speaking of making things up:

When you consider that Lucas MADE UP those names, it's not surprising that, sometimes, he went to familiar roots to give an impression. Heck, Darth SIDIOUS ("insidious") General GRIEVOUS, ("a grievous wound"), etc. You might have noticed a similar thing in all the names in Harry Potter.

Dude. They're made up words, and don't mean squat.

Then again, I took linguistics in college, and we ran into this sort of kaka all the time, so I'm really lacking in patience with it.
Yup. Don't get me started on "Matrix", Greek Mythology and Christianity.

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
LOL!

The Matrix has done one thing for me: It's shown me a cool way I could learn any language or fight technique. If only it worked... ;)