Freemasons seeing revival

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I hope you feel better after your venting. Now that it's over, let's talk turkey! Gobble, gobble. ;) Now that we've talked turkey, let's think about what you've said and discuss it a little:

First - there is ALWAYS a movement going on in our jurisdiction to allow Stated Meetings (business meetings) to be opened in the EA degree. ONE DAY that movement will be successful. But even though 'Stateds' are only opened in the 3rd right now, our membership IS GROWING. So how can we expect membership to increase? IT IS!! (And let me tell you ... Stated meetings are not all that you have cracked them up to be. Trust me on this.)

Second - if you have been made to feel unworthy, then shame on your Lodge. If you are not involved where and how you CAN be, then shame on you. EA's can attend most Table Lodges, all dinners, can be involved in committees, etc. You can even choose to go down on Lodge night and hang around, going through your catechism with the Tyler and/or fellowshipping with the Master Masons before and after Lodge. Just because you haven't had the 3rd (or in your case, the 2nd) does not mean that the doors are shut, it just means you cannot attend a meeting opened on a degree you haven't had. If your work schedule conflicts with Lodge night, then change Lodges or change work schedules. Even once you have attained the vaunted status of Master Mason, if you can't attend Lodge - well, what's the point?

Third - if this is your Lodge, then you have done yourself a disservice. I love this place, but it is NOT A LODGE. We cannot sit with one another. We can only have "e-fellowship". We cannot "do the work" here. There is nothing like sitting in open Lodge preparing to confer a degree, nothing at all. And YOU are eligible to do the work of an Entered Apprentice! YOU can sit in on EA's. Heck, they may even put you to work!

Take the reins in your hand, Duncan. Then, once you have become a Master Mason, you can help us change the jurisdiction!
Thank you for the insights and that shoe print will wash off my butt, I am sure:rolleyes:.

We do have a new petitioner in the pipeline and I have been told that I WILL sit it on his initiation.:eek:

Just my frustration of wanting to move what I ahve here (which is great) into a physical reality getting the best of me. (I too am a joiner).

Nobody told me the goat had reins!:D (to paraphrase Pogo, I have met the goat and he is me!)

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Thank you for the insights and that shoe print will wash off my butt, I am sure:rolleyes:.

We do have a new petitioner in the pipeline and I have been told that I WILL sit it on his initiation.:eek:

Just my frustration of wanting to move what I ahve here (which is great) into a physical reality getting the best of me. (I too am a joiner).

Nobody told me the goat had reins!:D (to paraphrase Pogo, I have met the goat and he is me!)
Trust me, Brother, I know how frustrating it is. The frustrations only multiply with every degree you attain. But it is worth it.

Zack

Duncan1574,
with your attitude and zeal for the Fraternity I think you are going to get along just fine.

Even an old curmudgeon such as myself can relish in your enthusiasm.

G

Gary

Yeah, Gary, that is the experience of most of us, I'd warrant. But maybe it's time to go backwards, to an older experience. We may be currently unable to have our EAs and FCs sit with us in open Lodge at Stated Meeting, but it doesn't mean that our EAs and FCs cannot be involved in the fraternity and most of its workings. Now I've just ripped Duncan a new one for not insisting on being involved, but let's rip ourselves and our Lodges a new one for not involving the Duncans in our Lodges.

How many times have I heard the complaint that we "go to all that trouble to raise a new Mason and he disappears"? Why does that happen? Could it be that, other than taking his money and putting him through 3 degrees, we haven't done a darned thing to get him involved? There are committees he could be working on. There's ritual he could be learning. There's fellowship that we could be offering. There's so much available in Freemasonry that no Brother can do it all. Why aren't we getting our candidates to do some of it?
I'm not saying I don't think we should open on the EA, I believe that would be a good thing. I don't see it changing though. There are too many old timers who won't budge on their opinions.

Winter

I've been here before
I'm not saying I don't think we should open on the EA, I believe that would be a good thing. I don't see it changing though. There are too many old timers who won't budge on their opinions.
But it is changing. Slowly, to be sure, but it is changing. There are many Lodges now like mine that work and conduct all business on the EA.

Here in the Hoosier state, we can open in any degree we wish......I was the first EA to set in a Tyled, Stated Communication in my Lodge....

G

Gary

But it is changing. Slowly, to be sure, but it is changing. There are many Lodges now like mine that work and conduct all business on the EA.
Winter, That's very good news to hear, I just wish that we wouldn't have to create a new Lodge to implement the changes. To be honest, I'm not sure what the Florida rule is. I'm still waiting on my copy of the Florida Digest to come from the GL.

Here in the Hoosier state, we can open in any degree we wish......I was the first EA to set in a Tyled, Stated Communication in my Lodge....
Fireman, Hopefully that way of thinking will spread like wild fire. Pun intended Brother!

Zack

Winter, That's very good news to hear, I just wish that we wouldn't have to create a new Lodge to implement the changes. To be honest, I'm not sure what the Florida rule is. I'm still waiting on my copy of the Florida Digest to come from the GL.

In Fl it is MM only except degree work. There was a resolution introduced to change it in last GL but it was defeated. I don't think it will change here for quite some time if ever.

G

Gary

In Fl it is MM only except degree work. There was a resolution introduced to change it in last GL but it was defeated. I don't think it will change here for quite some time if ever.
That's what I thought. It's a shame, as I feel there would be benefits if it did. It is what it is I guess. Can you tell me what the reasoning was? I'm curious.

Winter

I've been here before
Don't be too sure. I'm moving home to Florida next year and I intend to continue my crusade to bring positive change (back to the way it was) to Freemasonry!

G

Gary

Well, you've got one petitioner... I'm definitely interested. I love my current Lodge, but I'd like a plural membership in a Lodge such as the one you propose.

When you get here we definitely need to talk. At the very minimum a study group is in order. :cool:

Zack

Don't be too sure. I'm moving home to Florida next year and I intend to continue my crusade to bring positive change (back to the way it was) to Freemasonry!
Welcome back. No offense, but unless you're superman, well....... we have openings in the frustration club.

"Tilting at windmills" sound familiar?

G

Gary

FL is a bunch of harda$$es ....LOL
It's more of a overwhelming number of retirees with nothing better to do than occupy positions that keep us freethinkers bound and gagged. Politically, in Freemasonry, what have you.

99.999% of them weren't even born here much less raised here.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Oh ... I think things will change. Eventually. Freemasonry changes by fits and starts all the time. We, as the stewards of the craft, just have to be sure that the changes do not violate the ancient landmarks. Will any change take time? You betcha. Will any change be met with great resistance? You betcha. It should take time and it should be met with resistance; we're talking about reshaping something that is dear to our hearts. But if a change (that does not violate the ancient landmarks, mind you) will add value, if it will spur growth, if it just makes sense, then we who want it must be willing to pay the price. And that price is slow movement. That price is struggle. The only question? Is our beloved Fraternity worth it?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

okay okay, this is TOO Good to pass up.

WINTER is moving to Florida, how will the blue-hairs deal with all that cold?:confused:

:eek:

Zack

Back on EA's attending stated meetings;

I can understand the allure of an EA and stated meetings having been there myself but I regret the 99% possibility of their being disappointed. Been there too.

We could probably conduct my Lodge's business in 30 minutes. It is drawn out for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs or so for lunch to be prepared. It is very good food however.