Freemasons seeing revival

Winter

I've been here before
Lodge programming IS an issue. What point is there in an EA attending to sit around and kibitz about the bills and whether the Lodge REALLY needs a telephone line for those rare calls. Why would an MM attend Lodge for that same reason?

There has to be something there that will make the Brothers want to attend.

Zack

Non-attendance.
I think a goodly number of Brothers have gotten out of the habit of going to Lodge. I know from my own experience that once you've gotten out of the habit it takes something to get you going again. In my case it was a good friend joining.

Some suggest that a strong Masonic Education program will bring them back but I doubt it. I don't believe the biggest percentage of those that are inactive joined for educational purposes. I've given up and don't waste my time on trying to get them to come back. When I meet up with them I don't even mention Lodge. I'd rather try to keep the new Brothers from leaving. I'm all for M/Edu and I believe it could/would do wonders for keeping new/younger Brothers engaged. Boring business meetings are not my idea of doing this.

G

Gary

Lodge programming IS an issue. What point is there in an EA attending to sit around and kibitz about the bills and whether the Lodge REALLY needs a telephone line for those rare calls. Why would an MM attend Lodge for that same reason?

There has to be something there that will make the Brothers want to attend.
Oh, you mean like Masonic Education? I saw the list allowed by our GL for instruction during Lodge meetings. It consists of the Laws, rules, and regulations, and a few (and I mean VERY few) boring little bits of education regarding etiquette and the like. They put the Kabosh on everything else.

Or were you referring to having a guest speaker? As long as his topic falls into the list outlined by GL, yeah we have those....Not.

Oh, I'm not bitter. :rolleyes:

IMHO....do not have Masonic Education on "Bill paying night".....Have a seperate night for education.....then you can break up into groups....have EA education and FC education and MM Education going on.......or what is most needed....

Steve......( NO "I"):eek::D:eek::D

Winter

I've been here before
Isn't that why we elect officers? To pay the bills? Let them. Use the short time we actually have in Lodge for more meaningful programming. Make the time we actually sit in Lodge for business shorter and structure the meetings more around a festive board at every meeting where the Brotherhood and fellowship actually takes place. Trust me, it works.

G

Gary

Gary,

WTF kind of state am I coming home to! LOL Looks like I'm going to have to do some research and make a battle plan.

Zack,

Check out Laudable Pursuit if you haven't.
http://www.knightsofthenorth.com/documents/laudablepursuit.pdf

A battle plan, and form an army. :rolleyes:

Our GM is coming to do our installation on the 28th. I've got a good mind to tell him how I feel about this issue. Not that my opinion matters to him or anyone else at GL. Not the right time or place to do it though.

Winter

I've been here before
I've seen many GL's that forget that the Craft belongs to workmen and we all meet on the Level. Something about the bling goes to some Brother's heads! LOL

No Mason stands above another and the voice of every Brother matters.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Isn't that why we elect officers? To pay the bills? Let them. Use the short time we actually have in Lodge for more meaningful programming. Make the time we actually sit in Lodge for business shorter and structure the meetings more around a festive board at every meeting where the Brotherhood and fellowship actually takes place. Trust me, it works.
In my Lodge, we have a Budget and Finance Committee, composed of SD (chair), JW and JD. Additionally the Secretary and Treasurer are nonvoting members. It gives the Lodge an opportunity to plan overall what the budget should be, and be able to hold funds for things that may be expected near the end of the fiscal year, when the brethren present may have eroded the funds on hand down to very little.
I HATED being on the committee the three years I had it while going through the chairs, but it was a necessary thing.
Our GL encourages, but does not mandate a Budget and Finance Committee.

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
And where does the bulk of our money go, as well as the time we spend in Lodge? Dealing with issues relating to the buildings we DO NOT need. LOL I know, I sound like a broken record. The sooner we ditch these relics of a by gone era, the healthier our Craft will be.

Zack

IMHO....do not have Masonic Education on "Bill paying night".....Have a seperate night for education.....then you can break up into groups....have EA education and FC education and MM Education going on.......or what is most needed....

Steve......( NO "I"):eek::D:eek::D
Myself and another Bro tried this. At the first meeting there was 5 of us, second, 3, last three just me and the other Brother who started it.
Absolutely no interest. That's what is frustrating also why I stopped worrying about whether the Lodge survives. I don't need a building to practice Freemasonry after all a building is not a Lodge.

I told you I was an old cynical curmudgeon

Winter

I've been here before
It does work. And it will work. I fought resistance here in WI as well. Don't give up. Anyone who just says out of hand that it'll never work obviously doesn't want to be part of the sollution. But there's enough of us that do!

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
And where does the bulk of our money go, as well as the time we spend in Lodge? Dealing with issues relating to the buildings we DO NOT need. LOL I know, I sound like a broken record. The sooner we ditch these relics of a by gone era, the healthier our Craft will be.
Okay, granted - the buildings can be a burden. That is most certainly true. However, some of us are fortunate enough to have buildings of great beauty and architectural importance. There's gotta be room for everybody, yes? Those of us who want to keep our buildings should be able to AND form powerful and meaningful Lodges. There just HAS to be a way!

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Isn't that why we elect officers? To pay the bills?
Unfortunately, no. According to the Wisconsin work (the Alaska work and the Texas work), all money going out of the Lodge must be paid with the consent of the Brethren. As long as that is the case, it takes an assembled Lodge to pay the bills.

Use the short time we actually have in Lodge for more meaningful programming. Make the time we actually sit in Lodge for business shorter and structure the meetings more around a festive board at every meeting where the Brotherhood and fellowship actually takes place. Trust me, it works.
Now this idea is wonderful. I've also toyed with the idea of approaching a Master and presenting them with the idea that the minutes, the treasurer's report, the list of bills to pay, etc. (in other words, the boring grunt work) be published in the monthly Trestleboard and distributed well in advance of the Stated Meeting so that when we meet, we can just do an action vote on that stuff and not waste lots of time on it. Wisconsin (Alaska and Texas, too) makes it difficult to just have 'fun' meetings: petitions must be read, interview committees assigned, blahblahblah. But at least some of the drudgery could be contained, if not eliminated. And a Festive Board sounds very, very nice.

Winter

I've been here before
Okay, granted - the buildings can be a burden. That is most certainly true. However, some of us are fortunate enough to have buildings of great beauty and architectural importance. There's gotta be room for everybody, yes? Those of us who want to keep our buildings should be able to AND form powerful and meaningful Lodges. There just HAS to be a way!
There is. We don't have too many Lodges, we have too many buildings. Why must every Lodge who has 6 guys that come together once a month to pay the bills have their own building. Some Lodges have beautiful buildings and they operate in a manner that it is not such a burden. And maybe it is cost prohibitive, if so, then those Lodges should become central Masonic buildings, accomodating several Lodges. Maybe even to the point that they are used almost every night for some Lodge's activities or meetings.

Smaller Lodges focused on Masonic education is the key. Not a Lodge with 150 on the books that no one has ever met. That doesn't serve Masonry. I'm not advocating mergers. The Lodges can retain their sovereignity and independance. But so many Lodges that are struggling cling to thier buildings with a death grip and think that if they just make some more Masons they can fix the problem while the building eats up all of their resources.

I'm not saying this is the only issue, nor is it a fix all sollution. But it is a 500 lb. gorilla at the kitchen table that nobody wants to acknowledge.

Winter

I've been here before
Unfortunately, no. According to the Wisconsin work (the Alaska work and the Texas work), all money going out of the Lodge must be paid with the consent of the Brethren. As long as that is the case, it takes an assembled Lodge to pay the bills.
True, but a detailed study of the Code will show you how to accomplish it with the least amount of time devoted to it at Lodge.

60.07 Does say that the Lodge must approve the payment of bills. But you are right in that these can be presented to the Brothers prior for their perusal. Most are just the monthly bills anyway, and I don't see where the Code prohibits he Brothers from voting at the beginning of the year to pay the phone and electricity bills as they arrive.

62.03 provides for a finance commitee. That's their job to look at the bills and present them to the Brothers for payment. Nowhere does the Code say that every single bill must be brought out, read, discussed, haggled over, blah blah, at every single meeting. Sure, sometimes unuasual expenses arise and these will need discussions. But not the monthly bills.

65.05 details the issues that can only be acted upon at a Stated Communication. The bills are nowhere on that list. :)

65.13 details the issues that cannot be acted upon at a Special Commnication. The bills aren't on that list either! Viola!

Too many things we do just because they've always been done that way. When often the Code allows much more lattitude to try something different than most are aware of.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
F'sure!!!
We are trying to maintain a beautiful old barn, built in the heyday, when we probably had over 400 members, now we're under 200. [sigh]
Maybe the days when Lodges met in a rented room over the tavern worked a lot better financially.

S&F

G

Gary

Well acquainted with Laudable Pursuit. Printed several copies and handed them out. Comments were from"nice, won't work here" to just handing it back.
That's just pathetic. What's wrong with people?

Winter

I've been here before
F'sure!!!
We are trying to maintain a beautiful old barn, built in the heyday, when we probably had over 400 members, now we're under 200. [sigh]
Maybe the days when Lodges met in a rented room over the tavern worked a lot better financially.

S&F
It does, Brother. My Lodge does not have a building. When we decided to turn things around, that was a major point. We use rooms at the Madison Club for our meetings. But we can meet wherever. We are doing very well financially!