Freemasons unlock secrets of the Lodge

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
"For many years there has been a secrecy attached to us, which should never have existed." Says Freemason Tom Lee.
"We are now opening our doors to let people realise that we are only an organisation of people and men who are no different to anyone else." He says.
"We hope that by opening our doors and explaining to people and allowing people to see the principles of freemasonry that people will see it as something they'd like to join." He says.
Freemasonry originated in with the practices of the stonemasons, but Tom says that in the mid 1700's as stonemasons became less common in the building industry, it was opened to allow 'free' men to join.
However they still hold a lot of the traditions and ceremonies of the stonemasons, including the tools and the symbolic furniture.

more Freemasons unlock secrets of the Lodge - ABC Mildura - Swan Hill Victoria - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I can support being open to the public, however at the same time we shouldn't become a sideshow either.

The mysteries of Masonry maybe mostly symbolic (and available on the I-net) however, having been through just my first initiation, I would not want to remove that mystery removed from the Craft. We would become another boys club.

R

removed121010

it is good and bad we would finally be able to throw it in the faces of those that make those outlandish acqusations about freemasonry but at what cost. i think the price is to high. let them stay in the dark until they are ready.

TechBrother

I can support being open to the public, however at the same time we shouldn't become a sideshow either.

The mysteries of Masonry maybe mostly symbolic (and available on the I-net) however, having been through just my first initiation, I would not want to remove that mystery removed from the Craft. We would become another boys club.
I agree, the mystery of it all is what keeps the whole thing so clear in your memory. If you knew everything before you did it, it wouldn't hit home so hard, if you know what I mean. Then, as said before, we would be just another boys club. It is the exsperience that makes you really remember your obligations.

If that makes any sense.

Duncan1574

it is good and bad we would finally be able to throw it in the faces of those that make those outlandish acqusations about freemasonry but at what cost. i think the price is to high. let them stay in the dark until they are ready.
There is this story in the NT about some guy named Saul. Very similar story of being brought to the light.

pdh825

Master Mason
we would finally be able to throw it in the faces of those that make those outlandish acqusations about freemasonry
True, but the ones that make the outlandish accusations tend to be the types to take everything literally and simply can not grasp the concept of allegory and symbolism. They also simply apply the current definition to words and never investigate or even realize that words have different meanings as do symbols depending on circumstances. For example, to them a skull can ONLY mean evil. :rolleyes:

Winter

I've been here before
Stories like this piss me off so bad that it's not even funny.

SHUT THE DAMNED DOORS! We have left the West Gate pretty much unmanned, much less guarded.

We are an initiatic Order who's primary focus is the preservation and study of the mystic rites entrusted to us. We are not the Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, Moose, or Elk.

The sooner we stop trying to act like a modern social club and get back to our roots, the better.

There, I feel better after that rant!

Duncan1574

We are not the Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, Moose, or Elk.
How about squirrel? We got Moose, why we not have Squirrel?'
Or the Royal order of Buffalo?

I agree with you Winter. I could be a Rotarian so much easier, they are good people, do good stuff in the communtee and the world, as do the Lions, etc.

No, I willing choose the Free and Accepted Masons for what they stand for: Betterment of men, relief, & charity, oh my share of the Templar Treasure.....

G

Gary

No worries... ( I actually agree with your sentiments too), People are entitled to their opinions. We just have to play nice.

<note to self....get more coffee...>

Winter

I've been here before
LOL, yeah. When I posted I was on 30 hours with no sleep and I still haven't slept! Too many papers to write and working two jobs! (insert maniacle laugh)

Walt

Stories like this piss me off so bad that it's not even funny.

SHUT THE DAMNED DOORS! We have left the West Gate pretty much unmanned, much less guarded.

We are an initiatic Order who's primary focus is the preservation and study of the mystic rites entrusted to us. We are not the Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, Moose, or Elk.

The sooner we stop trying to act like a modern social club and get back to our roots, the better.

There, I feel better after that rant!
That's sound's great somotobe
digg that bro.

Winter

I've been here before
I love that paper, Fireman. I was actually part of the KotN forums and took part in the discussions that created LP. I highly reccomend it.

I wish there was some more work from that group.....I have read LP several times and just keep thinking to myself....YEA...these brothers have got it right....

It does make a Brother proud to be from the the GL of Indiana where WB Dwight L Smith was from.....

Winter

I've been here before
Not sure if the core guys still get together and try to shake things up anymore. Haven't heard boo from any of them in quite a while.