GL of Florida

Winter

I've been here before
This issue is particularly important to me since I am a Wisconsin Mason and was considering affiliating with a Florida Lodge now that I live here. But I may keep my head down for a while instead to see how things shake out.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
This issue is particularly important to me since I am a Wisconsin Mason and was considering affiliating with a Florida Lodge now that I live here. But I may keep my head down for a while instead to see how things shake out.
On another forum, there are approximately 50 pages of debate about this topic. Well, that and the definition of Cowan, and the proper protocol to address another jurisdiction's GL.

I see several things that have come to light in this debate:

1. Grand Lodges (particularly GM's) wield way too much power and are akin to Kings who rule to suit their own personal interests.
2. There is too much red tape, pomp and circumstance, and Bravo Sierra involved to address a Brother regardless of his position in Masonry.
3. Point's 1 &2 combined squash any hope of Free thinking Masons being allowed to have harmonious discourse. Especially in regards to Esoterics.

Quite frankly, I'm not going to keep my head low.

Winter

I've been here before
GMs wield as much power as they always have. We just need to be much more particular about how we elect them. From what I have seen, it is pretty automatic after working through the progressive line. Thankfully, they are only in the chair one year and then are replaced.

As to addressing a Brother, the honorific should always be used. I usually don't even use the "Worshipful" for PMs or myself. Regardless of title or past position held, we are Brothers.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Yes, but it is all the same God making it monotheistic.
Eh... yeah... Um... I couldn't disagree more my Brother. I direct you to read John 3:16, and ask if that passage makes any sense from what you just posted. I'm not going to get in to a religious discussion, but the Holy trinity is just that. It's called that for a reason.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
GMs wield as much power as they always have. We just need to be much more particular about how we elect them. From what I have seen, it is pretty automatic after working through the progressive line. Thankfully, they are only in the chair one year and then are replaced.
They may only be in the chair for one year, but it would appear that certain positions remained filled by the same people for a VERY long time. The "progressive line" (I hate that phrase) gets to have the luxury of being indoctrinated by these old salts. I see no positive change in Florida's future.

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
They may only be in the chair for one year, but it would appear that certain positions remained filled by the same people for a VERY long time. The "progressive line" (I hate that phrase) gets to have the luxury of being indoctrinated by these old salts. I see no positive change in Florida's future.
Lordy, but that's depressing.

jaya

Eh... yeah... Um... I couldn't disagree more my Brother. I direct you to read John 3:16, and ask if that passage makes any sense from what you just posted. I'm not going to get in to a religious discussion, but the Holy trinity is just that. It's called that for a reason.
The Christian God is 3 hypostasis and while they are 3 distinct entities, they are the same being.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Today's article from FMI regarding the GL of FL.

http://networkedblogs.com/Gswuv
Quite a rambling blog. I have my doubts as to the validity of the claims of racism when admitting a brother of color to Lodge. I've never seen that scenario happen. That doesn't mean it hasn't... just that I've never witnessed it outside of the PHA recognition issue.

Now, as far as ruling #3... He is right. The GM will never let it make it to the floor of a grand communication for discussion.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Oh ..... the Beehive and Squire Bentley.... the ranting , raving , hater of all Southern "Mainstream" Masonry who loves it way up there on his soap box . He has "consulted" three Florida Past Masters and he can allude to all of Florida lodges are racist !? These three Past Masters can make the claim that all Florida lodges WILL REFUSE TO OPEN , or if already open will close if a black (mainstream) Mason from New York shows up ?

So he "hears" stories , "consults" THREE Florida Past Masters and this is fact !? PLEASE .

ETA: I have heard many stories concerning PHA . I have heard they go around Trying one another and if one fails to answer questions properly , then they have their property taken away .

I have heard that they are BIG into hazing their candidates .

And I have consulted with PHA Masons on the internet who claim this is true and even support it . My Marine Corps buddy who is a PHA Mason in a Southern state told me in private that some of the members of his lodge would never allow a white man in his lodge . So it must be true then for all PHA Masonry , correct !? No , it is not . I will take what they say with a grain of salt . It might go on in a few lodges but it is not practiced by all PHA Masons .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Quite a rambling blog. I have my doubts as to the validity of the claims of racism when admitting a brother of color to Lodge. I've never seen that scenario happen.
Oh , But brother Gary , he has "CONSULTED" ALL OF THREE Florida Past Masters and "HEARD" stories ! So his rambling blog just has to be true !

Winter

I've been here before
After reading that article I figured it would fire some Brothers up! lol I truly hope that practice was not the norm.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Another part of his blog....

But how will Florida know what your religion is, you ask? That’s easy. The good old boys network has established the rule in most American Grand Lodges that before embarking outside your jurisdiction you must first receive the permission from your Grand Lodge who will contact the Jurisdiction you are going to for you.

(Since he included Ky in his little picture of the states with the rebel flag) Is complete and utter bullsh*t . HE IS NOTHING BUT A LIAR and his true hate toward us is shining through . I do not have to ask my Grand Lodge permission to visit lodges outside of my own jurisdiction . Nor do we require an out of state visitor to have permission from their Grand Lodges . My Grand Lodge would never ask us our religious beliefs (we are not allowed to do that) nor would they include that if we were to get a letter or ask them to inform another jurisdiction of our visit before I traveled out of state . Nor would my Grand Lodge include skin color , that is a clear violation of our own constitution .

Nor have I ever heard any other jurisdiction require permission first before allowing members to visit outside jurisdictions .

Winter

I've been here before
Actually, my jurisdiction requires permission to visit outside of our jurisdiction. The Brother informs his WM who contacts the GL and they in turn contact the jurisdiction the Brother will be traveling to.