Grand Master Solomon

wolfbrau

What is the final verdict of King Solomon? Did he repent for his demon worship, etc.? Should we still hold him in such high regard?:rolleyes:

Winter

I've been here before
What is the final verdict of King Solomon? Did he repent for his demon worship, etc.? Should we still hold him in such high regard?:rolleyes:
What tinfoil-hat-guru is claiming he was into demon worship?

I know the Talmud (or is it the Midrash?) tells how he bound demons, and air elementals that were used to create the Temple, but I've never heard anything to sugest he was a demon worshiper.

I'll have words with anyone who talks smack about King Solomon!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

I know the Talmud (or is it the Midrash?) tells how he bound demons, and air elementals that were used to create the Temple, but I've never heard anything to sugest he was a demon worshiper.

I have your back Bro. Winter!

Zack

Not being a Biblical scholar,or a scholar of any kind for that matter, but it seems I've read that through his many wives he was led away from worshipping ONE GOD and delved into worshipping several but later repented.

Perhaps that is where the "demon worship" thing came in to it.

G

Gary

Not being a Biblical scholar,or a scholar of any kind for that matter, but it seems I've read that through his many wives he was led away from worshipping ONE GOD and delved into worshipping several but later repented.

Perhaps that is where the "demon worship" thing came in to it.
Not a scholar....That's not what I heard... I heard yer a pretty smart fella.

WolfBrau,

Wouldn't that be imply that he converted (or at least practiced) another religion, and then returned or repented? Demons....Bah!

wolfbrau

1 Kings 11, the whole chapter, esecially vs.4-9 and 31-33.

4 As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been. 5 He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites. 6 So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the LORD; he did not follow the LORD completely, as David his father had done.
7 On a hill east of Jerusalem, Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the detestable god of Moab, and for Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Wouldn't that be imply that he converted (or at least practiced) another religion, and then returned or repented? Demons....Bah!
That happens a lot in the Old Testament (really, it's the Tannach, but we call it the Old Testament ... well, all of us except Winter ;) ).

Winter

I've been here before
I agree, he screwed up, but the entire TaNaK is full of Jews who can't follow simple instructions! My people are very contentious!

But the building of an altar to another g-d is not tantamount to demon worship.

wolfbrau

Read 1 Kings 11 before any more posts, the unerring rule is that by which we..
Then go to a SR18th

It was bad enough for God to take the Kingdom from him.

Winter

I've been here before
I've read I Kings. Did he screw up? Sure. So did most of the Patriarchs. Hashem punished him. It's a vicious cycle and we never seem to take the lesson to heart.

But nowhere in I Kings ch. 11 is there a single mention of demon worship or even any demons.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
That happens a lot in the Old Testament (really, it's the Tannach, but we call it the Old Testament ... well, all of us except Winter ;) ).
Bro, Winter clarify this for but as I recall, the entirety of OT is not the Pentateuch/Torah, only the first 5 books. Gn, Ex, Lv Nu, Du.

Winter

I've been here before
What is called by Christians as the Old Testament is, to us, called the TaNaKh which is an acronym for the books that comprise it: The Torah, the Nevi'im, and the Kethuvim.

This difers not only in the translation, but in the order of books since the Christian version is based on the Greek septuigant.

wolfbrau

Is the Book of Enoch in there? I'm currently reading Jasher and have found nothing controversial in there, just wonder why the Church of Rome picked one and not another. Are there different sects of Jews with different scriptures? I've heard the Midrashim (sp?) mentioned from time to time, but don't know what they are.

Winter

I've been here before
Midrash is a tool of interpretation which assumes that every word, letter, and even stroke of the pen in the Torah has meaning. Midrash Aggadah focuses on biblical narratives, Midrash Halakhah interprets legal passages. In modern times, midrash can include any retellings, additions, or twists on Torah stories.

Enoch is not considered cannon, but it is a good read.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Is the Book of Enoch in there? I'm currently reading Jasher and have found nothing controversial in there, just wonder why the Church of Rome picked one and not another. Are there different sects of Jews with different scriptures? I've heard the Midrashim (sp?) mentioned from time to time, but don't know what they are.
Heck, there's different sects of Christians with different Scriptures. Some, not all but some, Catholic Bibles have the chapters The Maccabees and Bel and the Dragon in them in addition to the Chapters most of us are familiar with. Revelations, or the Apocrapha, or The Apocalypse of St. John at Padmos (all three the same book), was extremely controversial when it was first slated for inclusion in the New Testament, and there may be variations of the NT that do not include it.

Judaism, to my knowledge, does not permit variations in the Scriptures, but I may be wrong (I know, who'd a thunk it?) on that one.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
What is called by Christians as the Old Testament is, to us, called the TaNaKh which is an acronym for the books that comprise it: The Torah, the Nevi'im, and the Kethuvim.

This difers not only in the translation, but in the order of books since the Christian version is based on the Greek septuigant.
Indeed. I have a copy of the (what I believe) is the most current translation of the TaNaKh from the Jewish Publication Society. Whenever I read the Old Testament, I also refer to 'the original' as quite frequently there are word changes, etc. in the OT. I highly recommend that any student of the Scriptures get a decent translation of the TaNaKh (also sometimes spelled Tannach) for reference.