Grand Master Solomon

G

Gary

Indeed. I have a copy of the (what I believe) is the most current translation of the TaNaKh from the Jewish Publication Society. Whenever I read the Old Testament, I also refer to 'the original' as quite frequently there are word changes, etc. in the OT. I highly recommend that any student of the Scriptures get a decent translation of the TaNaKh (also sometimes spelled Tannach) for reference.
Hmmm...I'm going to have to look into the TaNaKh.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Hmmm...I'm going to have to look into the TaNaKh.
You won't be sorry you did, Gary. The JPS version I have is heavily annotated and I have learned more from this little copy than I have from years of Bible study. As I recall, I bought mine at Barnes & Noble.

Winter

I've been here before
That's a good place to start, but the Bible (Bible in the Hebrew sense: Tannach) is incomplete without the Talmud. Most of the Bible makes no sense without the means to understand it.

Here's the only decent English translation of the Babylonian Talmud on the net since you prob do not want to pay the $3000 or more it costs for a Talmud set.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/talmud.htm

And if you want to get freaky, add a copy of the Zohar to your bookshelf! I love mine! LOL :D

Winter

I've been here before
The Zohar (Hebrew: זֹהַר‎‎, lit Splendor or Radiance) is the foundational work in the literature of Jewish mystical thought known as Kabbalah. It is a group of books including commentary on the mystical aspects of the Torah (the five books of Moses) and scriptural interpretations as well as material on theosophic theology, mythical cosmogony, and mystical psychology. The Zohar contains a discussion of the nature of G-d, the origin and structure of the universe, the nature of souls, redemption, the relationship of Ego to Darkness and "true self" to "The Light of G-d," and the relationship between the "universal energy" and man. Its scriptural exegesis can be considered an esoteric form of the Rabbinic literature known as Midrash, which elaborates on the Torah.