Has this ever happened to you?

G

Gary

Let me set the scene for you...

So... I've been coming down with my annual Christmas time cold/flu/funk... And last night was our Lodge meeting. I decided (against my better judgement) to go. I decided that I'd stay away from the brethren so they wouldn't get sick, but would show my dedication as a young MM and show up.

I'm sitting in Lodge, and the WM says... "Since we normally have our younger MM's do the Masonic Education...Bro. Gary, I know it's short notice, but what do you have for us tonight?"....

Now mind you, I've got LOT's I'd like to say, but very little I'm officially allowed to share in open Lodge. Nothing had been mentioned to me before hand, so I was totally unprepared to speak to the Lodge.

My brain went blank, after the fleeting thought ran through my head saying "Don't tick off the Brethren"... I spoke for about 2 minutes on charity.

I've never been so mortified in my life. :eek:

I thought yesterday was your shift day......

I believe you covered yourself well...I hate to be put on the spot like that BUTsometimes if someone asks you to do something unexpectly, they just might need to be prepared for what you might bring up....if its Lodge Education they want but only want you to present topics that will be pleasing, then some advance notice is warranted or at the very least, a list of potential topics....

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Congrats on actually speaking in lodge. It's not uncommon to ask newly raised brethren to offer their feelings or anything in lodge. I am surprised they asked you to speak on education though. Glad you were able to think of something, however, it may be possible that he was just "testing" you too, to see if you had anything. Guessing you wouldn't have ticked of the brethren if you had nothing. Just as in life, if you have nothing to say, state that. I seem to be a natural born BullS$%*^er, so I could talk a lot about very little :p but then again, that seems to be what I'm doing here too.

G

Gary

I thought yesterday was your shift day......

I believe you covered yourself well...I hate to be put on the spot like that BUTsometimes if someone asks you to do something unexpectly, they just might need to be prepared for what you might bring up....if its Lodge Education they want but only want you to present topics that will be pleasing, then some advance notice is warranted or at the very least, a list of potential topics....
I'm rolling 40 Hours these days Bro. I'm in Admin now. Yep, a dreaded white shirt! :p

We have a list of what GL says we can talk about. It's basically constitution, laws, rules, and regulations. Esoteric's are taboo. Well, let me rephrase that.... The verbage regarding it's discussion is so confusing, it might as well be taboo.

Generally, someone will at least tell me what they want me to talk about during the pre-Lodge meal at a minimum. I got nothin'...nada...zilch.

Oh, I was seriously minding my Compasses last night. It would have been SO easy to give a quick talk about the MC steps, or something to that effect.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Your WM must have thought you could do it or he wouldn't have asked. Still it seems to me that if your lodge expects younger MM to do the Masonic Education, I would expect that some warning would have been given so you would be prepared to give something of educational substance to the brethren. I believe that this sort of thing, done on a regular basis would cause the younger MM to either --

1. Be prepared with an educational topic related to Masonry.
2. Refuse to show up in fear of being asked to do some public speaking.

On the one hand it could make more learned Masons, on the other hand it could cause those who are more on the "shy" side to become the "dues paying, never seen Mason" or the ones dropped for NPD. Being the LEO in my lodge, I personally would not like this approach to Masonic Education.

The Middle Chamber lecture does speak of the liberal arts which does include "Rhetoric" which teaches a person to speak "copiously or fluently on any subject". This is better know as a "BS" degree which I have (I don't mean a Bachelors degree).

G

Gary

Congrats on actually speaking in lodge. It's not uncommon to ask newly raised brethren to offer their feelings or anything in lodge. I am surprised they asked you to speak on education though. Glad you were able to think of something, however, it may be possible that he was just "testing" you too, to see if you had anything. Guessing you wouldn't have ticked of the brethren if you had nothing. Just as in life, if you have nothing to say, state that. I seem to be a natural born BullS$%*^er, so I could talk a lot about very little :p but then again, that seems to be what I'm doing here too.
I follow the old addage; "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, BAFFLE them with Bull!" :D

G

Gary

Your WM must have thought you could do it or he wouldn't have asked. Still it seems to me that if your lodge expects younger MM to do the Masonic Education, I would expect that some warning would have been given so you would be prepared to give something of educational substance to the brethren. I believe that this sort of thing, done on a regular basis would cause the younger MM to either --

1. Be prepared with an educational topic related to Masonry.
2. Refuse to show up in fear of being asked to do some public speaking.

On the one hand it could make more learned Masons, on the other hand it could cause those who are more on the "shy" side to become the "dues paying, never seen Mason" or the ones dropped for NPD. Being the LEO in my lodge, I personally would not like this approach to Masonic Education.

The Middle Chamber lecture does speak of the liberal arts which does include "Rhetoric" which teaches a person to speak "copiously or fluently on any subject". This is better know as a "BS" degree which I have (I don't mean a Bachelors degree).
They generally have a typed up presentation that one of the Stewards or Newer MM read to the Lodge.

While my Rhetoric can be fair at times, mentally/physically I shouldn't have been there. I couldn't think clearly. I was just fortunate to have the sense to not use the situation to my advantage.

I don't mind speaking in front of people, so them running me off is not likely...:D

40 hr....eeeewwwww....thats like going to work 5 days isnt it????

Why such strict rules in FL???
Yeah, it took me two years to get used to the schedule once I left shift work.

Why so strict? Well, since you asked...Hmmm.... I'd guess because some Brothers are Builders, and some are Parrots. Sometimes the Parrots get control of the fraternity, and make it easy for themselves. I still maintain, it ain't about quantity, it's about QUALITY. IMO.

I'll also add to that by saying that due to the HUGE amount of Masonic Books out on the market, they want to make sure that the materials presented meet the necessary requirements. That limits mis-information being given in open Lodge. I can see that as a valid point, but work should be done to stay current and make sure a wider variety of materials are sanctioned by the GL.

Zack

Inconsiderate of the WM. IMO.

If I'm asked to do something on M/Edu I pay no attention to what the list of approved subjects are and speak about what I want. Dues, publicity driven charity vs Masonic charity, symbolism(alot of blank stares), attendance, Hiram King of Tyre, myth vs fact, PHA, etc. Whatever I happen to be reading/interested in at the time. Maybe that is why my Lodge doesn't often ask me any more.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
40 hr....eeeewwwww....thats like going to work 5 days isnt it????
I personally enjoy a "40 hour week" In the public school system {Transportation Department (Supervisor/Mechanic/Driver)} setting that is, during the summer 4 -- 10 hour days then a 3 day weekend -- to do my other jobs. During the school year it's 5:30 AM till 5:30 PM when the buses get off the routes.

G

Gary

Inconsiderate of the WM. IMO.

If I'm asked to do something on M/Edu I pay no attention to what the list of approved subjects are and speak about what I want. Dues, publicity driven charity vs Masonic charity, symbols, attendance, etc. Maybe that is why my Lodge doesn't ask me any more. To hell with the status quo!
I'd take that approach, but I've met resistance with the SD over this issue. When the WM asked me to speak, the SD snapped his head in my direction, and I could feel what he was thinking. I'm too new to make waves like that. Out much respect for him, I chose restraint.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Do any Florida Brothers know the reasoning behind the "no esoteric education " rule ? I am Only curious and not judging as it is not my jurisdiction .

G

Gary

Bro. Zack may be able to tell you. I only know what I've been told, and I've stated that earlier in this thread. It's certainly frustrating though.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The WM was promoting the Christmas Party in our November Communication, going around the lodge room pointing out the brothers who would be contributing and asking each one to tell the Lodge about their role. Each man spoke briefly about his responsibilities and received the gratitude of the assembled Brethren. When WM got to me, I gave the shortest talk of all. I said, "Ho, ho, ho" and sat down to the laughter of the Lodge.

No one likes being put on the spot.....

Custer....I work an average of a 48hr week...just get it done in two days....24 on shift...48 off....

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
called to speak extemporaneously

Let me set the scene for you...

So... I've been coming down with my annual Christmas time cold/flu/funk... And last night was our Lodge meeting. I decided (against my better judgement) to go. I decided that I'd stay away from the brethren so they wouldn't get sick, but would show my dedication as a young MM and show up.

I'm sitting in Lodge, and the WM says... "Since we normally have our younger MM's do the Masonic Education...Bro. Gary, I know it's short notice, but what do you have for us tonight?"....

Now mind you, I've got LOT's I'd like to say, but very little I'm officially allowed to share in open Lodge. Nothing had been mentioned to me before hand, so I was totally unprepared to speak to the Lodge.

My brain went blank, after the fleeting thought ran through my head saying "Don't tick off the Brethren"... I spoke for about 2 minutes on charity.

I've never been so mortified in my life. :eek:
It sounds like your WM was not prepared that night and DUMPED it on you.
That was in very poor taste!
A few times my year in the East, I would ask a Brother several days before to please prepare a short talk on ______________ subject...
Usually I brought Masonic Education items to Lodge, as few seem interested.

Restricted list of subjects to speak on for Masonic Education? PULEEEASE!
Talk on the subject that interests you, and if any brother complains that it's not on the Official Grand Lodge List of Approved Subjects to Discuss in Lodge, refer him to the Junior Warden. In NC, that's who, by The Code, chairs the Lodge Reference Committee, the committee concerned with Masonic offenses and charges.