How have you been asked if you are a Mason.

DavisB

If it isnt, it should be.....

If there any lawyers on here can you tell me if Dan does come out with a book with this plot line, can I clam royalities???
Well he already stole the plot of the Da Vinci Code from those other guys so I would make sure to be on the look out.

Winter

I've been here before
Well considering those pesky Masons are behing absolutely everything??? probably.

I haven't read it but from what I have heard he was pretty nice to us in The Lost Symbol.
I don't know if I'd call what was in that last book about us as "nice."

G

Gary

Well he already stole the plot of the Da Vinci Code from those other guys so I would make sure to be on the look out.
That's NOT what the court ruling said.

I don't know if I'd call what was in that last book about us as "nice."
Nice? It certainly wasn't bad. The plot revolved around Masonic locations. The villain was a rich psychopath, but the "real" Masons mentioned in the novel were good guys. I think at the end of the day, he painted a picture of a fraternity veiled in allegory made up of good men. He pointed out that even "we" are susceptible to infiltration from radicals and bad things can happen to us. Ergo, we ain't the new world order.

I rather enjoyed the story. The Supreme Council SJ liked it enough to send him a letter of thanks as well.

Winter

I've been here before
One of the most annoying in the book, I thought, was the SR symbol depicted as a phoenix, rather than the eagle. I don't know, it was a lot of little things in the latest book that was annoying.

I absolutely loved Angels and Demons, Davinci Code, Digital Fortress, and Deception Point. I just couldn't get the same nailbiting feeling from Lost Symbol. Maybe I'll have to reread it.

G

Gary

One of the most annoying in the book, I thought, was the SR symbol depicted as a phoenix, rather than the eagle. I don't know, it was a lot of little things in the latest book that was annoying.

I absolutely loved Angels and Demons, Davinci Code, Digital Fortress, and Deception Point. I just couldn't get the same nailbiting feeling from Lost Symbol. Maybe I'll have to reread it.
I'd be interested in discussing what you didn't like about it. I'll post a thread about the book. Jump in on it if you want.

Now...Back to "How have you been asked if you are a Mason?"....

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
I've never heard of covering the grip either. You'd have to have amazingly sharp vision to notice it in public, anyway!
Heck, sometimes I don't notice it when I'm given it!

S&F
You know one can be quite amazed at what the uninitiated can pick up on. When I was an FC doing EA degree work with an EA at a place where we meet to do degree work I gave my brother an EA grip without concealing, and as I did so I saw a few uninitiated and one initiated MM who saw me greet my brother in public. I assumed all were masons who where at the social hall that was “open to the public.” The hall is called 357 so I assumed all were part of the brotherhood. Later the MM pulled me aside and in a low voice, said never give away the secret. He then went through the tests with me to see what degree I was at. He then told me people in the social hall watch and later tries to emulate. Ever since then when I say conceal “I conceal.” The funny thing is that the brother who was an EA, he and were entered together, he did not know that I was an FC at the time we were meeting. When the MM tried me and I concealed, the MM stated oh so you are a FC and I said yes at that point he pulled a little ways from the EA and tried me in which he saw that I was duly qualified. .We went back to the EA and the EA said so you have been moved up to FC and I told him yes. Of course he asked, and all I could tell him is that I did not want to ruin it for him. He never asked me again what a FC was like.

Bropreston

All the scottish masons I have met cover the grip, I once asked regarding this and I was told that they are always taught to "cover" their work. You are right about people watching and imitating grips, there is a guy that I know who has masonic friends and thinks he knows all about us " they`ve wanted me to join for years and I know THE handshake" he`ll say. ppffffftttt

Lorenzo

Hi Brethren, talking about covering of the grip, in South africa, the Irish as well as First United cover their work (grip), If i'm not mistaken, we probably the only ones down here that do it :)

Hi Brethren, talking about covering of the grip, in South africa, the Irish as well as First United cover their work (grip), If i'm not mistaken, we probably the only ones down here that do it :)
There is a very keen brother in my mother lodge who just by default gives the grip when normally shaking hands. Here in NZ most of the brethren do that as well but it is quick and you would never notice it...I do not personally see a problem with using the grip of any degree outside of lodge, nor does my current WM. The grip by itself is rather useless unless they have the password and know which password goes with which grip...if anyone wanted to they could find this stuff on Google...while I don't think we should make a spectacle of giving any grip I don't think there is any harm in giving one outside of open lodge...

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[I'm always happy to put my ignorance on display]

Uh, what's First United?

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Don't worry, Bob: as my mother says (she was a Methodist as a girl): Methodists are just Baptists that learned how to read.
And Lutherans are just born-again Catholics. :rolleyes:
And Christians are just born-again Jews.
And Jews born-again Zoroasters,
etc
etc
etc
:D:D:D

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
And Lutherans are just born-again Catholics. :rolleyes:
And Christians are just born-again Jews.
And Jews born-again Zoroasters,
etc
etc
etc
:D:D:D
Christians do not recognize Jews as being Saved.
Mainstream Christians do not recognize Mormons as True Christians
Protestants do not recognize Catholics as descendants of Christ's Church.
...And Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store!

:D