Lodge Etiquette

G

Gary

It is exceptionally rude to not put your phone on vibrate or turn it off during Lodge. I'm going to propose a cell phone ban in the Lodge room.

We allow it as we have some brothers whose living requires it. We ask that they be respectful with it. I've not seen it abused in our lodge. I leave mine in the glove box, as it has a nasty habit of changing it's settings while in my pocket. Grand Lodge of Minnesota levies an immediate $25 fine if it goes off during the annual communication. Funny story, the Senior Grand Warden (now a Past Grand Master) got nailed on this one a few years back!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Considering the WM has had is cell phone ring during a meeting, I would say no. I do not bring my in however.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My lodge is so far out in the country that we do not have cell phone service , so a ringing phone is not a problem for us .

Bropreston

our lodge has nothing in place, but it`s pretty much an unwritten rule that they are left outside the temple. there are many lodges in my area where before commencing the evenings business the DC will ask that all phones are turned off or put on silent. I was at a lodge in a different province when a brothers phone went off as the grand lodge officers processed into the lodge, what made this especially funny was that the ringtone was the imperial march from star wars!!!:D:)

So a couple nights ago, I'm sitting with my wife at our monthly Area Shrine Club Social meeting in a local restaurant. This is a social setting, with food and dring and not really a meeting, but a member of our Temple's Divan has risen to speak about the pending sale of our Temple's Real Estate. This has been the single most important financial issue at our Temple for decades. So, of course, my phone goes off. It's the WM of our lodge, who is one of my best friends, but not a Shriner. I immediately hit ignore, so he immediately calls my wife who's sitting me. She hits ignore. He texts me. If I try to turn my phone off, it sings the Verizon song for 5 or 6 seconds, so I quickly text back under the table, to stop, I'm in a meeting. He texts back, "OK". So by now I'm completely red and the whole room is laughing at me. So I don't turn my phone off, thinking it's over, and 2 minutes later my Dad calls. Lesson: leave the damn phone in the glove box!!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
DC?

our lodge has nothing in place, but it`s pretty much an unwritten rule that they are left outside the temple. there are many lodges in my area where before commencing the evenings business the DC will ask that all phones are turned off or put on silent. I was at a lodge in a different province when a brothers phone went off as the grand lodge officers processed into the lodge, what made this especially funny was that the ringtone was the imperial march from star wars!!!:D:)
Bropreston-
Could you tell us (p'haps in a new thread?) about the office of Director of Ceremonies? I have seen them only in English and Irish Lodges, not in any of the US states I have visited.

S&F

Bob Franks

Welch_ slang :...to not pay when you owe a debt or bet...

I am sure that doesnt describe you Mother....maybe Welsh.....
Ever been jewed out of money?
Or gypped?
I might just be getting my Irish up!
Maybe that idea doesn't have a Chinamans' chance!

Just observing the use of cultural stereotypes!

:D

S&F

failghe

I always make sure the cell phone is on silent not even vibrant during Lodge. I guess I am sorta old fashion and think it is very rude to hear a phone go off during something important.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
While this is not covered by GL here, the Master of our Lodge frequently holds up his cell phone during opening and says: "Turn 'em off brethren".

TrowelTalk

My Lodge, Sincerity No. 181 does have a policy. If your phone goes off during a Tyled Lodge meeting, its a $181 fine.

Since implementing this rule, we haven't heard a peep from a cell phone... :p

I personally leave mine in the car when I come to Lodge meetings, just in case.

With the new technology, smart phones, people know use their phone the same way we used to use note pads..... I bet when we started bring note pads into the Lodge, some of the oldtimes didnt like that either.....I like the idea of a fine if it rings out loud during lodge....NOW...degree work is different....dont bring it in Lodge...period....

Bob Franks

Etiquette

OK, here's how I do it.
Get out smartphone.
press 'phone' button
press central navigation button (to unlock)
hold down red button two seconds
listen to tune and see "Phone Off" on screen.
replace in pocket before WM says, "The several officers will clothe themselves and fill their respective stations and places."

Following Closing Charge, repeat process.
Step 5 will be: listen to tune and see "Phone On" on screen.

This did not require use of my college degree to learn. Try it.

OK, here's how I do it.
Get out smartphone.
press 'phone' button
press central navigation button (to unlock)
hold down red button two seconds
listen to tune and see "Phone Off" on screen.
replace in pocket before WM says, "The several officers will clothe themselves and fill their respective stations and places."

Following Closing Charge, repeat process.
Step 5 will be: listen to tune and see "Phone On" on screen.

This did not require use of my college degree to learn. Try it.
Sounds simple. It doesn't work for me. The first day I had my Samsung Rogue, (name fitting) I did just that. Mind you, this was just before attending The Order of the Temple. After adjusting my backside and crossing my legs, the phone turned back on in my pocket. And it sings that lovely Verizon Tune. Maybe my pants are to tight, by I don't think that should be the cause. This has happened more times than I can count, and I got to the point that I would either lock it in my car or leave it hanging in my overcoat in the lodge vestibule.

PS: I will strongly recommend against a Samsung Rogue to anyone ever leaning that way, for many reasons. And I'm locked into this baby for another 9 months yet, as I'm to cheap to buy one while I'm under contract.