Lodge Etiquette

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Sounds simple. It doesn't work for me. The first day I had my Samsung Rogue, (name fitting) I did just that. Mind you, this was just before attending The Order of the Temple. After adjusting my backside and crossing my legs, the phone turned back on in my pocket. And it sings that lovely Verizon Tune. Maybe my pants are to tight, by I don't think that should be the cause. This has happened more times than I can count, and I got to the point that I would either lock it in my car or leave it hanging in my overcoat in the lodge vestibule.

PS: I will strongly recommend against a Samsung Rogue to anyone ever leaning that way, for many reasons. And I'm locked into this baby for another 9 months yet, as I'm to cheap to buy one while I'm under contract.
You had better check into that, because if I understand it correctly, Verizon has done away with the new every 2. You could be waiting for nothing. Regardless you'll still have to buy a new phone when you're ready. Just food for thought.

Give her the Rogue...I recommend an HTC Incredible..... I did go back to a smart phone after giving up my Blackberry several months ago....I didnt like not being one of the cools kids at work and only having just a phone...LOL....

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I'm in a bit of a bind with this as I'm on call for work a lot. I bring my laptop and an aircard to the building but leave that outside the Lodge room. I put the phone on vibrate and hope it doesn't ring. If it does, I check caller id and answer if it's the call center or the boss, I ask them to hold while I leave the room through the non-tyled door. That's the best I can do and still keep my job.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I'm in a bit of a bind with this as I'm on call for work a lot. I bring my laptop and an aircard to the building but leave that outside the Lodge room. I put the phone on vibrate and hope it doesn't ring. If it does, I check caller id and answer if it's the call center or the boss, I ask them to hold while I leave the room through the non-tyled door. That's the best I can do and still keep my job.
Sometimes the rules have to be bent a bit for GOOD reasons, but your GF texting you to bring her some Chinese food would not qualify.

Some years ago, I was attending the initiation ritual for an appendent body and the lecturer had a cardiac arrest mid-sentence. We started CPR, called EMS, and got the candidates out of the room. Afterwards a member complained that we should not have let in EMS until we had properly closed the council!
Wonder if he would have though differently if he thought he might have been the one on the floor??

S&F

G

Gary

I agree, there are exceptions to every rule. Windrider's situation is one of them.

I sure hope the dolt who opened his mouth regarding closing the council before letting EMS in the room was "counselled" rather sternly. To think that ritual takes precedence over a Brothers life is ludicrous.

If that pisses anyone off, they should take a look at the 3rd "furthermore" (if your MM obligation is structured anything like ours) in their obligation and make an immediate attitude adjustment!

thebrianmo

When it comes to Lodge Etiquette; I can tell you that there are brothers in our Lodge who use their cells during open Lodge and no on in our Lodge cares and if they do they don't say anything. Now phones are never used during degree work, but people will facebook and twitter during the business aspect of the meeting when we're talking about buying paper towels and more paper plates for the kitchen. If the older generation cares, they keep silent, but some of them do it also. It is an unspoken rule that you keep your phone on silent in the Lodge room. At our annual inspection last week a visiting brother allowed his phone to ring during inspection and you would have thought he used the Lord's name in vain, the looks he received.

When it comes to Lodge Etiquette; I can tell you that there are brothers in our Lodge who use their cells during open Lodge and no on in our Lodge cares and if they do they don't say anything. QUOTE]

The only time I've ever seen a phone out and used purposely in lodge was during a second degree last summer. We were surrounded by tornadoes and the Tyler was good enough to have weather satellite up and running. The Degree Must Go On!;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The only time I see phones out are when lodges are setting a date for degree work . Nothing like watching a bunch of brothers typing furiously when a date is set .

I am still old fashioned and carry a planner , note pad and ink pen .

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
My lodge actually tried to pass a standing resolution to ban them but it was deemed overzealous. If you peek at a text or to see who's calling that's fine but any communicating out is to be done outside the Lodge. This was the basic result of the multi-week discussion.