Masonic Bill of Rights

Winter

I've been here before
I think it is poorly worded for one and is mostly covered by the rules of Masonic etiquette and tradition. But let's look at the main issue, that is, a "Bill of Rights."

Just as with our American Bill of Rights, I believe this codification of what a person has a "right" to creates a sense of entitlement that implies that these are your due regardless of what you contribute. Either to your nation or the Craft.

A better document would be a "Bill of Responsibility." Using the one posted on Masonic Traveler for an example:

1. Freedom Responsibility of Speech. A Mason has the responsibility to improve his speaking ability both in substance and style to better enable him to communicate with his Brothers as well as take an active role in the governance of his Lodge, Grand Lodge, community and nation as well as better enabling him to take an active role in the instruction of younger Brothers.

2. Universal Treatment: A Mason has the responsibility to treat his fellow human beings in accordance with the tenets of Freemasonry. (That's it. It really is that simple, and really shouldn't have to be stated!)

3. Freedom of Information: A Mason has the responsibility to keep himself informed in regards to his Lodge and Grand Lodge; availing himself of any and all publications and gatherings pertaining to his jurisdictions. A well informed Brother is better enabled to take an active role in the strengthening of the Craft in all that he does.

4. Freedom Responsibility to Participate: A Mason should, at a minimum, make every effort to be an active participant in his Lodge. While there are many more demands on the modern Mason for his time it should be a priority for him to cheerfully devote a portion of his time to the Craft lest he become estranged from his Brothers.

5. Fair Trial: Why rewrite something that is covered in every Masonic code?

6. Right to Vote: Voting in Masonic lodge is not a "right." At least in my jurisdiction. It is mandatory. A Mason may not abstain from voting while in Lodge.

7. Right to seek out Further Light: Every Mason is Charged to improve himself in Masonry and it is the Brother's responsibility to seek out Light at every opportunity in his daily life and share that knowledge where it is needed.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. Yours may differ. ;)

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
IMHO: Being a Freemason is not a right, it is a privilege. To provide guidelines like this BoRs, could be likened to saying we know you took your obligation seriously and all, but here is some more things...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This has already been posted on here before and I have no idea why it needed to be posted again but..... Other than Bro, Winter's changes , NO , a Masonic Bill of Rights is not needed because it is all covered in our by-laws and constitution .

Winter

I've been here before
Don't think I saw the earlier thread on this. Just this one. But judging by most of the comments on the Masonic Traveler site, it got the same reception.

What is the fascination with attempts to reinvent, rewrite, or modernize Freemasonry?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have NO idea why some feel the need to change Freemasonry . But it has been a while since it was posted last . I guess it must be important to the OP as he was the one who had posted it last time .

Winter

I've been here before
Cemab4y,

Please don't take my post as a personal attack in any way. But your idea of a Masonic bill of rights is not really in keeping with the Spirit of Freemasonry as I see it. Our Order is built on the foundation of good men taking the personal responsibility to improve themselves and their society. Not the stance of, "what do I deserve." But you are thinking and attempting to discern practical applications of Masonic thought and that is good.

jaya

In a little defence of Bro. Charles, the bull of rights is not his idea. This was taken fro Bro. Tim Bryce. Although Charles does seem to see freemasonry as a dying organization in need of some major change.

Winter

I've been here before
In a little defence of Bro. Charles, the bull of rights is not his idea. This was taken fro Bro. Tim Bryce. Although Charles does seem to see freemasonry as a dying organization in need of some major change.
And that is the absolute worst attitude to have.

A: Freemasonry is not dying. The numbers are returning to where they should be for an organization like ours. (See the numerous threads here discussing this)

B: change is not what is needed. What is, is a return to the values and traditions that are the ideal. It was changes such as failing to require memorization, shorter time between degrees, lowered standards for membership, building too many unnecessary buildings, and a host of other "modern" innovations into Freemasonry that have landed us where we are today.

We don't need to reinvent Freemasonry to strengthen it. We need to actually practice it.

jaya

I agree. I have had the discussion with Charles on a few forums. It gets old after awhile.

cemab4y

Here are the membership statistics for 2009-2010 (most recent available from the MSANA)

U.S. Grand Lodges Membership
STATE
MEMBERSHIP 2010
MEMBERSHIP 2009
GAIN/LOSS
ALABAMA * 28,684 28,386 298
ALASKA 1,935 1,935 0
ARIZONA 8,651 9,023 -372
ARKANSAS 14,429 15,027 -598
CALIFORNIA 57,267 58,889 -1,622
COLORADO 10,356 10,742 -386
CONNECTICUT 12,895 13,432 -537
DELAWARE 5,110 5,150 -40
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA * 4,341 4,312 29
FLORIDA 45,940 47,471 -1,531
GEORGIA 43,578 44,523 -945
HAWAII * 1,742 1,643 99
IDAHO 3,962 4,191 -229
ILLINOIS 65,564 68,308 -2,744
INDIANA 65,443 66,006 -563
IOWA 21,695 22,466 -771
KANSAS 23,074 24,091 -1,017
KENTUCKY ^ 46,362 47,747 -1,385
LOUISIANA ^ 21,004 20,070 934
MAINE ^ 20,294 19,968 326
MARYLAND 16,235 16,477 -242
MASSACHUSETTS 35,944 36,518 -574
MICHIGAN 37,709 39,189 -1,480
MINNESOTA 14,721 15,182 -461
MISSISSIPPI 19,341 19,774 -433
MISSOURI 50,500 51,000 -500
MONTANA ^ 5,990 6,342 -352
NEBRASKA 12,716 13,038 -322
NEVADA 4,225 4,316 -91
NEW HAMPSHIRE 6,898 6,928 -30
NEW JERSEY 24,775 26,073 -1,298
NEW MEXICO * 5,553 5,227 326
NEW YORK 45,801 48,051 -2,250
NORTH CAROLINA 45,096 45,685 -589
NORTH DAKOTA 3,055 3,151 -96
OHIO 106,870 108,332 -1,462
OKLAHOMA 25,739 26,572 -833
OREGON 9,541 9,970 -429
PENNSYLVANIA ^ 113,279 114,447 -1,168
RHODE ISLAND 4,213 4,326 -113
SOUTH CAROLINA 39,927 40,798 -871
SOUTH DAKOTA 6,094 6,262 -168
TENNESSEE 44,691 46,156 -1,465
TEXAS 91,632 92,656 -1,024
UTAH * 2,035 1,920 115
VERMONT 6,444 6,466 -22
VIRGINIA 38,498 39,238 -740
WASHINGTON 15,369 17,109 -1,740
WEST VIRGINIA 21,643 22,078 -435
WISCONSIN 12,694 13,328 -634
WYOMING 3,899 4,070 -171
1,373,453 1,404,059

48 (FORTY EIGHT)
states show a decrease
2 (two) states
show an increase.

Suppose you tell me, Is
Masonry growing or
dying?

If you have any data
showing an increase
not just "My lodge had two
new EA degrees last
week"

I would love to see it

cemab4y

Don't think I saw the earlier thread on this. Just this one. But judging by most of the comments on the Masonic Traveler site, it got the same reception.

What is the fascination with attempts to reinvent, rewrite, or modernize Freemasonry?
Be fair! I am NOT at all fascinated with "reinventing" Masonry. Our ancient landmarks have served us well, I have never and will never suggest a change or modification to them.

I have never wanted to "rewrite" Masonry. What does this mean?

I do wish strongly to modernize Masonry. Masonry is a "work in progress". Our administrative practices, our place in society, the programs we pursue, have always been, are now, and will always be "dynamic". We used to help brother Masons find work. During the Depression of the 1930's nearly every Grand Lodge ran an employment bureau. These are almost all gone. When I suggest that Grand Lodges consider bring the bureaus back, and assisting Masons (and their dependents) to find work, I was nearly crucified. Seems that some Masons are delighted to see some changes (like closing down the bureaus), but not others (like bringing them back)

Grand Lodges used to run orphanages. Nearly all of them are gone. Masons were thrilled to see this change. Some changes please Masons, some do not.

The Grand Lodge of Ohio mandated that all subordinate lodges obtain a web site. This directive was reached, through the correct process, at their Grand Lodge meeting. Some lodges screamed bloody murder, and fought this mandate with every fiber of their being. Some tought the mandate was wrong. Some thought it was proper. Myself, I find it utterly amazing that every lodge in the entire USA, does not already have a web site, and that such a mandate would even be considered.

Masonry, if it is going to survive, will have to modernize and adapt to the 21st century. This is a reality, even though the wide majority of Masons (and Grand Lodges do not see it. )

"We live in a world, in which the only constant is change" -Heraclitus, 4th century BC
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got" - Cromwell

cemab4y

And that is the absolute worst attitude to have.

A: Freemasonry is not dying. The numbers are returning to where they should be for an organization like ours. (See the numerous threads here discussing this)

B: change is not what is needed. What is, is a return to the values and traditions that are the ideal. It was changes such as failing to require memorization, shorter time between degrees, lowered standards for membership, building too many unnecessary buildings, and a host of other "modern" innovations into Freemasonry that have landed us where we are today.

We don't need to reinvent Freemasonry to strengthen it. We need to actually practice it.
A: Why do you think that Masonry is not dying? Do you have some statistics which back up your claim? Is your lodge/Grand Lodge/Masonry in the USA adding new members or losing members?

B. Why do you think that change is not needed? Be specific. What changes are not needed?

cemab4y

Cemab4y,

Please don't take my post as a personal attack in any way. But your idea of a Masonic bill of rights is not really in keeping with the Spirit of Freemasonry as I see it. Our Order is built on the foundation of good men taking the personal responsibility to improve themselves and their society. Not the stance of, "what do I deserve." But you are thinking and attempting to discern practical applications of Masonic thought and that is good.
The Bill of Rights is NOT my idea. If you think it is, you are wrong. I do support the concept of protecting the rights of individual Masons, through appropriate legislation in Grand Lodge consititutions, 1000%. I do not necessarily agree with the proposals outlined by Tim Bryce. I think they do not go far enough.

You need only see what is happening in Arkansas, and in some other Grand Lodges, to see that some additional protection is needed.

cemab4y

I have met many Masons, both on line, and in person, who are convinced that Masonry (nationally) is not losing members, but is growing. They usually say something like "My lodge had two new EAs in the last month". When I tell them that our lodge had two EAs, but 40 members resigned, died, or were suspended (usually for non payment of dues), they are still not convinced.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but everyone is not entitled to their own facts"- Daniel Patrick Moynihan, former US Senator and ambassador to the United Nations.

Winter

I've been here before
Wow! o_O Maybe let some people respond after a post instead of flooding a year old thread with heated responses as if the conversation is still fresh! LoL No worries. It was difficult to keep up with what was going on from my phone earlier when I started getting all these notices about a thread that I had forgotten about. But I'll try to hit the main points here.

Your statement that Freemasonry must modernize to stay relevant will not sit well with most Masons. They will see it as an attempt to take away the traditions of our Order and not just a web presence and email access. But do we really need those things? For centuries, the good decent men that we want to attract have found us without a web page. The beauty of Freemasonry is that it works just as well in a room with candles as it does one with fluorescent lighting. One of the reasons many of those men aren't looking for us anymore is that many Lodges aren't doing anything worth looking for. If you want to champion a change in the Lodges, push for more meaningful Lodge activities with a focus on personal and community growth.

I didn't mean to attribute the Masonic bill of rights to you personally. But since you posted it here twice I assumed you were vested in it. I still do not agree with it. The over legislation at the Grand Lodge level is never the answer. More autonomy among the individual Lodges is. It is an interesting parallel with our American government and the top heavy system we have now as opposed to the more freedom enjoyed by the states of the early Republic. Eventually you have more rules than anyone could hope to happily live under and bloated bureaucracy that exists solely to sustain itself. The ideas contained in the BoR are not nearly as beautiful and eloquent as the ones contained in the 3 degrees.

As for my assertion that Masonry is absolutely NOT dying. I have ample statistics to prove my point. And they are the exact same ones that you yourself posted. Freemasonry went through an aberrant growth spurt after both WWI and WWII with numbers swelling far above sustainable levels. I firmly believe that we are still declining to manageable levels as far as numbers are concerned. And the fact there is an unprecedented interest in a more meaningful Lodge experience as opposed to just paying the bills and sad meal with the same 10 Brothers every month as they argue about how to pay for a new roof. The upswing in Traditional Observance and European Concept Lodges around the United States is firing Brothers up for Freemasonry like never before. So I will not argue that our numbers are not declining at all. I agree 100%. But I see it as a good thing.

We don't need websites or email addresses or computers. We don't even need fancy buildings or expensive regalia. What we need is Freemasonry done right, with meaning and heart by Men who want to make themselves, their families and their communities better places.

cemab4y

I agree that most Masons are unwilling to bring any changes into their lodges. Even something as harmless as a telephone with an answering machine. You are confusing what I am advocating: Keeping TRUE to our ancient landmarks and traditions, but bringing in new administrative procedures and practices, to keep Masonry in the 21st century. Think for just a minute to what it means to a young man, who has been around the internet all his life. He sees a documentary on Freemasonry on the History Channel. He decides to see if there is any Freemasonry in his community. He does a "google" search, and nothing comes up. What is he to think? Masonry is not interested in the internet generation.

Your claim that Masonry existed before telephones is quite accurate, but so what? Masonic lodges installed air conditioning, and central heating, and we kept true to our landmarks. We installed electrical lighting, and indoor plumbing, the traditions of our Craft did not suffer. We can embrace technology, and still be as good a Mason, as any in the past. The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania now permits every mason in the state, to pay his dues by Payliance. Some Masons still pay their dues by paper check, with an envelope, by the US Mail. The lodge secretaries have to deal with the paperwork, and the members who pay on-line are just as good a Mason as the ones who pay by check.

The Grand Lodge of Ohio is the first Grand Lodge (that I know of) which has mandated that all subordinate lodges have a web page. Some lodges kicked up a fuss, but all went along. The benefits of this mandate will pay off, to all lodges in the state, and to the Grand Lodge. The Grand Lodge of New York has established mandatory guidelines for all lodges in the state that choose to have a web page. Masonic lodges should not have to be compelled to have web pages, they should have installed them over a decade ago. Some lodges will have to be dragged into the internet age, kicking and screaming every inch of the way. I say "GOOD!"

goomba

The Grand Lodge of Alabama's website is how I got the contact information for my lodge. It made contacting someone much easier!

Winter

I've been here before
I still don't agree with you Charles. But I do see what you are saying. As for the young man who is interested in Freemasonry but not interested enough to look up the local Lodge in the phone book and get up out of his computer chair and come find us because he can't find the web page, what does that say about the level of his desire? We put AC and electricity into the Lodge and I am not saying that was wrong. But we replaced the burning tapers with electric bulbs and the Tracing Boards with Powerpoint, neither of which convey the solemnity of the teachings in my mind.

Freemasonry doesn't need to be more modern to be effective in the new technological age. It needs to be more personal to stand apart from the rest of the profane world that is inundated with more and more technology every day.