Masonic Bill of Rights

cemab4y

Here is the official announcement from the Grand Lodge of Virginia:

(some non relevant portions deleted)

After several months in the making, an online version of the Grand Lodge of Virginia Masonic Leadership & Correspondence Courses are now available. Visit this website for details...

http://courses.vamasons.org

The Committee on Masonic Education proudly presents this program on self-improvement to all Master Masons within the Grand Jurisdiction of Virginia. This program has been developed to assist the individual Mason, as well as the Blue Lodge. The Committee is responsible for fostering Masonic education. A well-rounded Mason will use this program as but one method of improving himself. Taken together with the Grand Lodge Leadership Conferences, Training for the Subordinate Lodge Officer, educational offerings at the Reid James Simmons Academy of Masonic Leadership, "Area Mini-Conferences," the educational opportunities afforded by your District Educational Officer and your Lodge Educational Officer, and other programs and publications offered by the Committee, it is hoped that we may enlighten good Brethren, so they may excel as tomorrow's leaders of this gentle Craft.

===========

This is exactly the kind of embrace of technology, which will benefit Masonry, and help make our Craft more appealing to the 21st century Man. I hope that other Grand Lodges pick up on this idea, and that Masons can get additional knowledge of the history and traditions of the Craft.

Winter

I've been here before
Your statement contains a fundamental flaw that pervades Freemasonry. And that is, to quote you, "...and members are Freemasonry." Members do not equal Freemasons. For too long membership drives and relaxed recruiting with an increase in visibility have attempted to attract more "members" in an attempt to fix the problem of flagging numbers. But often these men turn out to be card carrying members and not Freemasons.

The issue of Lodges closing due to inactivity is a serious issue. But it will not be solved by modernization. It will be solved by a more meaningful Masonry. he Freemasonry of our forefathers was widely known and respected throughout society and they had nothing but a listing in the phone book. Why? Because the Freemasonry of the period offered something that was seen as a benefit to the membership, the community and the nation. Through only word of mouth Freemasonry held an honored place in society. And if we make Freemasonry meaningful again we can reclaim that position in society. But it will not happen by adapting the Order to the whims of the day.

And as for your "sky is falling" theory that the declining membership is a terminal problem, I just don't see it. Some areas may be having a difficult time, but I believe Freemasonry as a whole is going to be alright. Just as many areas are not having the problems you talk about. And I have said before, and will say it again, Freemasonry should be smaller than it is currently. I see the overall declining numbers a correction, not a problem.

Winter

I've been here before
An the online course by the GL of VA is great. But why does it have to be an "online" course to be so great? Why can't it be a course that the Brothers of a Lodge get together in person and go through with the fellowship that is supposed to be a fundamental principal of Freemasonry. Sure, a Brother will learn some stuff from the online course, but how does it help him form a deeper relationship with his Lodge Brothers?

jaya

The lodges are not closing at a rate any greater than has happened before in masonry. Lodges have opened and closed all along since the beginning. I do not see it as a serious problem. Just looking at the lodges listed in NC, look and see for yourself when lodges were opened and closed. I am not sure of the publication date of the document. I know it is at least 1997 because that is the latest date I seee referenced. http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv_images/masons.pdf

jaya

There has been a leadership course offered to the deacons of the lodge in NC for the last 10 years. It is not online but an actuall physical set of classes over 3 weekends. I was lucky that I was able to attend last year. It is called Wilkerson College. The reason it is designed for deacons is that it is thought that the training will give the deacons time to effectively plan for a year in the east. If things go as expected, I should be in the east in 1015 and am already workin with some brethren to get some ideas in place. http://www.wilkersoncollege.com/

cemab4y

Your statement contains a fundamental flaw that pervades Freemasonry. And that is, to quote you, "...and members are Freemasonry." Members do not equal Freemasons. For too long membership drives and relaxed recruiting with an increase in visibility have attempted to attract more "members" in an attempt to fix the problem of flagging numbers. But often these men turn out to be card carrying members and not Freemasons.

The issue of Lodges closing due to inactivity is a serious issue. But it will not be solved by modernization. It will be solved by a more meaningful Masonry. he Freemasonry of our forefathers was widely known and respected throughout society and they had nothing but a listing in the phone book. Why? Because the Freemasonry of the period offered something that was seen as a benefit to the membership, the community and the nation. Through only word of mouth Freemasonry held an honored place in society. And if we make Freemasonry meaningful again we can reclaim that position in society. But it will not happen by adapting the Order to the whims of the day.

And as for your "sky is falling" theory that the declining membership is a terminal problem, I just don't see it. Some areas may be having a difficult time, but I believe Freemasonry as a whole is going to be alright. Just as many areas are not having the problems you talk about. And I have said before, and will say it again, Freemasonry should be smaller than it is currently. I see the overall declining numbers a correction, not a problem.
I am glad that you believe that Freemasonry as a whole is going to be all right. Please expand on this. Why do you think everything will be all right? Do you have any facts or statistics to back up this claim? I am interested. If you have some ideas on how to make everything "all right"; maybe we can share these ideas with some of the lodges and Grand Lodges, which are experiencing problems.

Winter

I've been here before
I am glad that you believe that Freemasonry as a whole is going to be all right. Please expand on this. Why do you think everything will be all right? Do you have any facts or statistics to back up this claim? I am interested. If you have some ideas on how to make everything "all right"; maybe we can share these ideas with some of the lodges and Grand Lodges, which are experiencing problems.
Brother Charles. You keep asking the same question. I have answered it.

cemab4y

An the online course by the GL of VA is great. But why does it have to be an "online" course to be so great? Why can't it be a course that the Brothers of a Lodge get together in person and go through with the fellowship that is supposed to be a fundamental principal of Freemasonry. Sure, a Brother will learn some stuff from the online course, but how does it help him form a deeper relationship with his Lodge Brothers?
I have been all over the USA, and visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries. I have been studying this Craft for over 30 years. I have not seen a great deal of organized Masonic educational programs for members. The fact that the Grand Lodge of VA has seen to offer online training to Masons, is terrific. This is a use of modern technology, which is entirely appropriate. I reside in Virginia (metro DC area), and this area has the worst commute in the entire USA. Some men spend 20 hours a day in their automobiles. Two hours in, two hours home, five days a week. When they get home, there is often not much enthusiasm for getting back in to the car, and going to a class at lodge.

Online training, gives men the opportunity to get Masonic education, at their own schedule. Sure, it does not give the "up close and personal" experience of a classroom environment. Also, being online, ensures that the material is uniform and consistent for all who participate. Not all lodges in the state have individuals who are willing to donate their time to teach a class. Not all lodges have meeting rooms, and facilities adequate to conduct classroom training. With our older membership base, not all Masons are able to drive to a lodge for a night class.

By utilizing modern technology, Masons can get all of the instructional benefit, regardless of their location and schedule. I used to work as a video engineer for a college TV station. We conducted long-distance learning by video. The instructor was 30 miles away from the class. With internet technology, we can have streaming video, and in addition to on-line training, we could have live instructors teaching Masonic subjects in "real time".

The important fact, is that Masons, who otherwise would not have the opportunity to learn this material, will now have the chance. And it is a cost-effective, time-effective methodology. Electronic classrooms and long-distance learning do not have the "intimacy" of a group of brothers meeting in a classroom. But in our modern world, it is a step which Masonry is going to have to take.

"We live in a world, in which the only constant is change" - Heraclitus, 4th century BC.

cemab4y

Brother Charles. You keep asking the same question. I have answered it.
Ok, Where? I have read your posts, and I cannot see any facts or statistics that convince me, that everything in Masonry is "peachy-keen and hunky-dory"; nor can I see how everything in Masonry is going to be "all right". I just don't see it in any of your posts, please direct me to the exact post, where you can convince me thus. I would like to share your facts/statistics with some friends.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But everyone is not entitled to their own facts" - (the late) Daniel Patrick Moynihan, US Senator, and former ambassador to the United Nations.

jaya

Brother Charles, you expect all of us to have this doom and gloom attitude and accept your premise that masonry is dieing. There are many that do not agree with you. If we all thought that it was dieing or severely in need of change, we most likely would not be active in our lodges. Looking at the history of freemasonry, and not just after 1940, it does not appear to me that we are a dieing organization. There are facts that I have posted in previous threads that showed trends in the past that almost actually killed freemasonry but you said it was a fluke and probably would not happen again. You can not just pick and choose what facts you look at. You must look at the ENTIRE history. You have been on this doom and gloom kick for years and have tried to spread it through many forums. The fact is, most Freemasons seem not to see it your way.

Winter

I've been here before
Ok, Where? I have read your posts, and I cannot see any facts or statistics that convince me, that everything in Masonry is "peachy-keen and hunky-dory"; nor can I see how everything in Masonry is going to be "all right". I just don't see it in any of your posts, please direct me to the exact post, where you can convince me thus. I would like to share your facts/statistics with some friends.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But everyone is not entitled to their own facts" - (the late) Daniel Patrick Moynihan, US Senator, and former ambassador to the United Nations.
I have stated in this very thread that the statistics I use are the EXACT same ones you have been using for your stance that we are dying as an organization. Please read posts #17, 22, 26, 36, and 62 in this thread. The difference is that I believe the numbers tell a different story. I see a stronger push for a more meaningful Freemasonry centered around smaller and more personal Lodges. There are now more Traditional Observance and European Concept Lodges in the US than ever before. Some Lodges will probably not do anything different than they are doing now and will close their doors. But Freemasonry is not going to die. And trying to convince people that we can only survive by embracing modern technology and catering to the generation that spends more time in front of the computer than any other at the expense of personal relationships is not the correct answer in my opinion. Our strength as an Order lies in our focus on stronger interpersonal and family relationships, not online courses. Sorry, but I just think you are very wrong on this point Charles.

cemab4y

Your statement contains a fundamental flaw that pervades Freemasonry. And that is, to quote you, "...and members are Freemasonry." Members do not equal Freemasons.

--Agreed, not all members are Freemasons. Not all members, who pay their dues, live up to their obligations.

For too long membership drives and relaxed recruiting with an increase in visibility have attempted to attract more "members" in an attempt to fix the problem of flagging numbers. But often these men turn out to be card carrying members and not Freemasons.

--I have never heard of a "membership drive". My Grand Lodge strictly forbids recruiting, and the GL even bans the "2 B1 ASK 1" bumper sticker. I would like to know of a lodge/Grand Lodge which holds "membership drives". Nearly all GLs in the USA forbid recruiting, or inviting someone to join. As far as relaxed recruiting, what does that mean, specifically? If my Grand Lodge (KY) forbids all recruiting, how they, or any Grand Lodge have "relaxed recruting"? Please be specific.

The issue of Lodges closing due to inactivity is a serious issue. But it will not be solved by modernization. It will be solved by a more meaningful Masonry.

--Please define "meaningful" Masonry. What is that?

The Freemasonry of our forefathers was widely known and respected throughout society and they had nothing but a listing in the phone book.

--The telephone company in my city no longer publishes a print phone book. They are nearly obsolete. With your opposition to "computers, websites, and email addresses", how is a man to find the phone number of the lodge in my city? And my lodge has no answering machine. Not all lodges in KY have a working telephone.

Why? Because the Freemasonry of the period offered something that was seen as a benefit to the membership, the community and the nation. Through only word of mouth Freemasonry held an honored place in society. And if we make Freemasonry meaningful again we can reclaim that position in society. But it will not happen by adapting the Order to the whims of the day.

--I have never advocated changing any of our ancient landmarks. They have served Masonry well. We can stay true to our "roots", and still utilize modern technology, and enhance the Masonic experience.

And as for your "sky is falling" theory that the declining membership is a terminal problem, I just don't see it. Some areas may be having a difficult time, but I believe Freemasonry as a whole is going to be alright.

--There you go again. Please "prove up", why it is you think, that Freemasonry is going to be "all right". Present your facts and statistics, be specific.

Just as many areas are not having the problems you talk about.

--OK. Take a look at the membership numbers for 2009-2010. About 47 Grand Lodges are declining, about 3 showed an increase. One or two stayed the same. Which areas (Grand Lodges) and not having the problems of a declining membership base? Why do you think that "just as many areas" are not having the problems of a declining membership base, when the table clearly presents 47 down and three up?

And I have said before, and will say it again, Freemasonry should be smaller than it is currently. I see the overall declining numbers a correction, not a problem.

--I also believe that the "bump" in membership numbers in the pst WW2 years, was an aberration, a "freak occurence". It will not be repeated. Masonic membership numbers have been declining, and will continue to decline. (Based on current demographic trends, and the refusal of lodges/Grand Lodges to acknowledge the situation, realistically). Grand Lodges should face up to the reality, and make appropriate adjustments. We should be developing programs to operate on a smaller membership base. We need to adjust our physical plant (buildings and other real estate), downward, and offer lodges assistance in selling off properties than can no longer be supported. We need to develop long-range planning to manage the downward trend in our membership base, and ensure that the balance of our membership can be served with a meaningful Masonic experience, in the out years.

We can manage the decline, if we face the problem realistically.

cemab4y

Brother Charles, you expect all of us to have this doom and gloom attitude and accept your premise that masonry is dieing.

--I expect no such thing. I expect the majority of Masons to continue to believe that there are no problems in Masonry at all. I do NOT believe that Masonry is "dying". Not at all. Masonry is going through a period of membership decline. That is irrefutable. The decline can be managed, and we can see a "leaner and tighter" Masonry. There will be some benefits to the contraction.

There are many that do not agree with you.

--When you get two Masons together, you get three (sometimes four) opinions. After 30 years in the Craft, I know.

If we all thought that it was dieing or severely in need of change, we most likely would not be active in our lodges.

--Self-evident. No one wants to participate in an organization that is dying. Myself included.

Looking at the history of freemasonry, and not just after 1940, it does not appear to me that we are a dieing organization. There are facts that I have posted in previous threads that showed trends in the past that almost actually killed freemasonry but you said it was a fluke and probably would not happen again.

--Past History. After the Morgan affair, half the lodges in New York closed. Every lodge in Vermont closed. Masonry recovered. I do not see another "Morgan affair". I do not see another post WW2 generation beating down the doors to get petitions. We have had "ups and downs" in the past. Masonry survived. We are in a definite "down" now.

You can not just pick and choose what facts you look at. You must look at the ENTIRE history. You have been on this doom and gloom kick for years and have tried to spread it through many forums. The fact is, most Freemasons seem not to see it your way.

--I agree 1000%. Most Masons do not admit there is a problem. Most Masons do not see that the overall numbers for Masonry in North America are declining. They usually come back with some comment like "Our lodge had two new EAs this year". Or "There is a new Traditional Observance lodge in Los Angeles" or other such observation. Most Masons are totally convinced that everything is fine in Masonry, and NOTHING needs to be changed. Masons can look at 47 states showing a decline in membership, and three states showing an increase, and say, "see, not all states are showing a decline".

cemab4y

I have been all over the USA, and visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries. I have been studying this Craft for over 30 years. I have not seen a great deal of organized Masonic educational programs for members. The fact that the Grand Lodge of VA has seen to offer online training to Masons, is terrific. This is a use of modern technology, which is entirely appropriate. I reside in Virginia (metro DC area), and this area has the worst commute in the entire USA. Some men spend 20 hours a week in their automobiles. Two hours in, two hours home, five days a week. When they get home, there is often not much enthusiasm for getting back in to the car, and going to a class at lodge.

Online training, gives men the opportunity to get Masonic education, at their own schedule. Sure, it does not give the "up close and personal" experience of a classroom environment. Also, being online, ensures that the material is uniform and consistent for all who participate. Not all lodges in the state have individuals who are willing to donate their time to teach a class. Not all lodges have meeting rooms, and facilities adequate to conduct classroom training. With our older membership base, not all Masons are able to drive to a lodge for a night class.

By utilizing modern technology, Masons can get all of the instructional benefit, regardless of their location and schedule. I used to work as a video engineer for a college TV station. We conducted long-distance learning by video. The instructor was 30 miles away from the class. With internet technology, we can have streaming video, and in addition to on-line training, we could have live instructors teaching Masonic subjects in "real time".

The important fact, is that Masons, who otherwise would not have the opportunity to learn this material, will now have the chance. And it is a cost-effective, time-effective methodology. Electronic classrooms and long-distance learning do not have the "intimacy" of a group of brothers meeting in a classroom. But in our modern world, it is a step which Masonry is going to have to take.

"We live in a world, in which the only constant is change" - Heraclitus, 4th century BC.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
--I agree 1000%. Most Masons do not admit there is a problem. Most Masons do not see that the overall numbers for Masonry in North America are declining. They usually come back with some comment like "Our lodge had two new EAs this year". Or "There is a new Traditional Observance lodge in Los Angeles" or other such observation. Most Masons are totally convinced that everything is fine in Masonry, and NOTHING needs to be changed. Masons can look at 47 states showing a decline in membership, and three states showing an increase, and say, "see, not all states are showing a decline".

Brother Charles,

So what if EVERY state shows a decline? What we need are more Masons not Freemasons. The problem is and always will be that the West gate isn't guarded well enough.

You bring this topic to just about every masonic forum on the web periodically. I know, because I've seen it personally. You get the same arguments, the same debates, and in the end the same frustration. Why not give it a rest?

cemab4y

Brother Charles,

So what if EVERY state shows a decline?

--If every state showed a decline, maybe more Masons would be convinced that there is a problem.

What we need are more Masons not Freemasons.

--Agreed, we are not replacing the men who are leaving.

The problem is and always will be that the West gate isn't guarded well enough.

--What do you recommend doing to guard it more properly?

You bring this topic to just about every masonic forum on the web periodically.

--That is what these boards are for. I enjoy discussing the topic, and getting other men's take on the problem.

I know, because I've seen it personally. You get the same arguments, the same debates, and in the end the same frustration. Why not give it a rest?
-I do not choose to give it a rest. This topic is important, because membership is the very lifeblood of the craft. If discussing this topic is disagreeable to you, then I suggest that you do not participate in the discussions. Too many Masons are content with the "status quo", as the number of Masons spiral downward.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
One aspect of Masonry in the 1940s and 50s that artificially inflated our numbers was the fact that many men joined fraternal organizations simply to get group rates on insurance. Since most employers offer health and life insurance for their employees, lodges got out of that business and numbers declined.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
-I do not choose to give it a rest. This topic is important, because membership is the very lifeblood of the craft. If discussing this topic is disagreeable to you, then I suggest that you do not participate in the discussions. Too many Masons are content with the "status quo", as the number of Masons spiral downward.
My statement to give your thread a rest was as a Moderator of this forum. You have received the same feedback that you always do. You don't get the answers you want from the thread participants, so you keep engaging them as if their answers will change. This thread has run it's course. If you do not see what I'm saying here, I'll simply lock the thread down.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
After some discussion with the originator of this thread, I have decided to open it again. He has agreed to keep things on the Level. I will be monitoring, and if the thread takes a turn for the worse, I'll lock it permanently.