Masonic Rings

thebrianmo

As of this post I am a FC and I would not dare wear a ring until I am a MM out of respect for my Brethren and for the craft. Here is my question. Am I entitled to wear or is it ok to begin wearing the ring when I am raised to MM or should I wait until I have given the MM Exam? I didn't know at what point on becoming an MM it is acceptable.

I am proud to be a Mason and I look forward to the time when I can wear the ring with pride, but only when it is proper to do so and only when I've earned that right.

Thanks!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
As of this post I am a FC and I would not dare wear a ring until I am a MM out of respect for my Brethren and for the craft. Here is my question. Am I entitled to wear or is it ok to begin wearing the ring when I am raised to MM or should I wait until I have given the MM Exam? I didn't know at what point on becoming an MM it is acceptable.

I am proud to be a Mason and I look forward to the time when I can wear the ring with pride, but only when it is proper to do so and only when I've earned that right.

Thanks!
My advice would be that the ring could be worn after the conclusion of your Master Masons Degree.
(Being a Lecturer) I would certainly encourage you to complete you MMD catechism, however, as soon as you can after you are Raised.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

Thanks!
Thanks Brother! I was thinking the same thing 'When: After the initiation or After the exam'

S&F
I will

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
After having the MM degree conferred upon you, you are entitled to all the rights of a MM, including but not limited to wearing a ring signifying such.

Duncan1574

After having the MM degree conferred upon you, you are entitled to all the rights of a MM, including but not limited to wearing a ring signifying such.
By conferred, are you talking about what I am calling the initiation, aka the first ritual, not the exam?

TrowelTalk

Not completely true in Maryland jurisdiction. You may not petition an appendage body nor be issued a membership card (required for visiting other Lodges in and outside of our jurisdiction) until you have stood and passed examination in the MM catechism.

As for wearing the ring, I wore mine as soon as it was presented to me after being Raised and considered it a great honor to do so.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
By conferred, are you talking about what I am calling the initiation, aka the first ritual, not the exam?
Yes, the night you receive your MM degree in lodge, there should be a section you will hear. It references a portion of this thread. The "proficiency" as it is called in my jurisdiction, is an "exam" of sorts which needs to be completed and your dues card received before you can visit another lodge. However for the purposes of this thread, it is permissible, and accepted that you may wear jewelery, signafying that you are a MM.

Winter

I've been here before
All degrees are conferred. The EA degree was conferred on you when you were Initiated. The FC degree will be conferred on you on Monday when you are Passed. And the MM degree will be conferred on you at a future date when you are Raised.

Only after Your Raising to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason can you (here in WI) bear the symbols of a Mason. i.e. a ring, shirt, tattoo, etc, etc.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Not completely true in Maryland jurisdiction. You may not petition an appendage body nor be issued a membership card (required for visiting other Lodges in and outside of our jurisdiction) until you have stood and passed examination in the MM catechism.

As for wearing the ring, I wore mine as soon as it was presented to me after being Raised and considered it a great honor to do so.
As it is in my Jurisdiction as well, I suppose my statement of entitlement may be a little too encompassing. It is required in my jurisdiction to pass a "proficiency" before a dues card will be issued to the newly raised. This is also required prior to visiting another lodge.

In MN, once the brother has had the 3rd degree conferred upon him, he is a MM of full status. The lodge holds no power to compel him to complete his Master Mason's proficiency. I know of no mason in our lodge over the last three years that has completed his proficiency (we probably raised 15 to 20 over that time period). I also did not complete mine. There was really no force within the lodge encouraging this, so it just doesn't happen. I am saddened by this. As a mentor to a young MM, I will make sure I take it upon myself to see that he completes his, and hopefully make this the rule rather than the exception going forward.

Duncan1574

I love this forum!
Look at the depth of knowledge we all have at our literal fingertips!

Thank you all for the great answers.

p.s. that means I need to get my newest ring sized fairely quickly ;).

Brochop

Waiting patiently for my new/used Master Mason ring to come in the mail. It's been a long and arduous search for just the right symbol of the accomplishment I have been so honored to be allowed to achieve.

TrowelTalk

I need to correct a comment I made earlier. In the Maryland jurisdiction a membership card is issued to a man after he is Raised and he may use it to visit other Lodges, but he may not petition appendage bodies before standing proficiency in the MM catechism.

My bad...

G

Gary

I need to correct a comment I made earlier. In the Maryland jurisdiction a membership card is issued to a man after he is Raised and he may use it to visit other Lodges, but he may not petition appendage bodies before standing proficiency in the MM catechism.

My bad...
In Florida, if you suitably pass your proficiency in the MM catechism you can petition appendage bodies immediately after doing so. Otherwise you have to wait 6 months.

DavisB

In Florida, if you suitably pass your proficiency in the MM catechism you can petition appendage bodies immediately after doing so. Otherwise you have to wait 6 months.
I am pretty sure in TN that you can petition appendage bodies immediately after being raised. I do not think that a MM catechism is required at all, only encouraged.

G

Gary

I am pretty sure in TN that you can petition appendage bodies immediately after being raised. I do not think that a MM catechism is required at all, only encouraged.
That's a shame because by not requiring the MM catechism, many will opt not to learn it's lessons.

DavisB

That's a shame because by not requiring the MM catechism, many will opt not to learn it's lessons.
I believe you receive a certificate if you complete the catechism, but that is about it as far encouragement to complete it.