Masonic Wedding

DavisB

In Wis. OB the word is 'illicit', not unlawful.

"Not sanctioned by custom or law; unlawful."

Premarital sex, adultery, and other ethical issues arising from sexual relations between consenting heterosexuals who have reached the age of consent have generally been viewed as matters of private morality, and so, have not generally been prosecuted as criminal offenses in the common law.[4] This legal position was inherited by the U.S. from the U.K.. Later, some jurisdictions, a total of 16 in the southern and eastern United States, as well as the states of Wisconsin[5] and Utah[6] passed statutes creating the offense of "fornication" that prohibited (vaginal) sexual intercourse between two unmarried people of the opposite sex. Most of these laws either were repealed, were not enforced, or were struck down by the courts in several states as being odious to their state constitutions. See also State v. Saunders, 381 A.2d 333 (N.J. 1977), Martin v. Ziherl, 607 S.E.2d 367 (Va. 2005).
In Tennessee sex outside of marriage is still a Masonic offense.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
How does this work? As you said, with the Obligation and all. Or did they meet before becoming a Mason? Is it not an offense?
Actually, the groom met the bride well after both he and the father were Masons. In fact, the father may have introduced them.

The assumption made by the father is that it must be a chaste relationship since the groom would never violate his Obligation. That's his story and he's sticking to it.

G

Gary

I'm glad that I don't live in TN! Of course, now that I'm married it doesn't matter.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Um, ten years of performing wedding ceremonies and I have met 1 virgin bride.
I have had several who abstained for up to 6 months before the ceremony.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Most couples are open about their relationship many have children together. That is one reason why they need an officiant, the church won't allow the ceremony due to their living arrangements.
As to asking about their virginity, only if there is a sacrifice in the ceremony :D (as is when marrying a virgin to a South Pacific volcano g-d).

G

Gary

Most couples are open about their relationship many have children together. That is one reason why they need an officiant, the church won't allow the ceremony due to their living arrangements.
As to asking about their virginity, only if there is a sacrifice in the ceremony :D (as is when marrying a virgin to a South Pacific volcano g-d).
I'm glad you clarified that. :eek::D