By W.B. Patrick Barger, Personal Representative of the Grand Master
Nebraska Masonry is Alive and Well...
in Afghanistan!
The traveling men of Nebraska Freemasonry flew that
well-known pseudonym to renewed heights in the last
few weeks. Swisher Lodge Under Dispensation was
open once again in the war-torn country of
Afghanistan, half-way around the globe. Acting under
dispensation from Most Worshipful Brother Bruce A.
Baker, Swisher Lodge opened its doors in Kabul,
Afghanistan in early December 2011. The Grand Lodge of Nebraska shipped the famous “Swisher Kit”
containing all tools and accessories necessary to conduct a lodge communication to me and all items
were put to good use.
As you know, Swisher Lodge was named after Bro. (SSG) Christopher Swisher of Lincoln Lodge No.
19, the first soldier and Mason from Nebraska to be killed in Iraq in 2003. Everything we do is
dedicated to him.
This lodge formed and I was installed Worshipful Master, WB Ritchie Inns of Cotner Lodge No. 297
as Senior Warden, and Brother Blair Talley of Lancaster Lodge No. 54 as Junior Warden. It was nice to
have the top three officers of this lodge be Nebraska Masons, as all three of us are currently stationed at
various locations across Afghanistan. The three of us extend our Masonic greetings to all of you.
The lodge currently has fifteen members hailing from all corners of the earth. Besides Nebraska, the
Phillipines, Nova Scotia, Texas, Virginia, Germany, Washington, Colorado, and South Dakota are
represented.
Since the lodge was formed, we initiated and passed Brother Phil Holguin, a retired Command
Sergeant Major and Army Ranger in the U.S. Army. As the lodge continues to grow in numbers, we
hope to have enough members to perform the entire Master Mason degree for him. We were very
fortunate to have WB Ritchie Inns in attendance on the evening of the Fellow Craft degree, as he
delivers a flawless rendition of the Middle Chamber lecture, as many of you already know. Without
Ritchie present to do that, we could not have performed the degree. This, however, is the first time he
has delivered the lecture using pictures of the staircase, pillars, and orders of architecture printed on
card stock (there isn’t room in the Swisher Kit to roll up a twenty-foot long canvas or two 18 cubit-high
pillars). An ammunition box with a towel on top served as the kneeler for the candidate, and a wooden
stand used to hang our Individual Body Armor and helmet served as the square that supported his left
elbow. Three more of these stands served as the pedestals for the top three officers as well. Brother Phil
Holguin is pictured in the center with WB Patrick Barger on his left and WB Ritchie Inns on his right.
Bro. John Gruehl of Virginia is on the far left and Bro. Mark Buechler from South Dakota is on the far
right. [note-I was unable to copy the picture, BF]
I am pleased to report that we have a number of people stationed here who are interested in joining
Masonry. Perhaps it is true that many (if not most) of them will return to their homes and join local lodges. No matter—our very existence in Afghanistan is evidence that Masonry is a worldwide
fraternity and they will always remember their first experience in Masonry was in a Nebraska lodge.
Although a few months ago I came from the West traveling to the East, I am eagerly anticipating
going back the other direction soon. God Bless You, our beloved country, and the Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons.
www.Masonic-Network.com

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I've long had an interest, being a Mason, and being military [no hero: I never heard a shot fired away from the rifle range], in military lodges.
As I my have posted here before, we (GL of AF&AM of NC) voted to recognize the MW Prince Hall GL of Oklahoma, and it appears that it was acceptable to my very conservative Grand Lodge because OK charters military lodges.
If anyone has heard of other PHA grand lodges chartering military lodges, I would love to ask my GL to recognize them also. I have already asked the Fraternal Correspondence Committee about WA and TX.

2 down...2 on deck...46 to go...

To quote that famous thinker Moses Howard ('Moe') "Step by step, inch by inch..."

S&F

I've long had an interest, being a Mason, and being military [no hero: I never heard a shot fired away from the rifle range], in military lodges.
As I my have posted here before, we (GL of AF&AM of AM) voted to recognize the MW Prince Hall GL of Oklahoma, and it appears that it was acceptable to my very conservative Grand Lodge because OK charters military lodges.
If anyone has heard of other PHA grand lodges chartering military lodges, I would love to ask my GL to recognize them also. I have already asked the Fraternal Correspondence Committee about WA and TX.

2 down...2 on deck...46 to go...

To quote that famous thinker Moses Howard ('Moe') "Step by step, inch by inch..."

S&F
:confused::confused::confused:????

jaya

He is talking about the GL of NC recognizing the MWPHGLOK during our last GL session. If I remember right, thee were only 4 votes against.

Bob Franks

He is talking about the GL of NC recognizing the MWPHGLOK during our last GL session. If I remember right, thee were only 4 votes against.
It was extremely gratifying to hear the young combat veteran get up and give direct testimony against the rumor repeated by the first speaker, who claimed that PHA Masons were recruiting members in the combat zones!

S&F

marks971

Is there a lodge at Bagram or maybe a Square and Compass? I will be going there after the first of year.

cemab4y

I was at Bagram some months ago. There was one operating lodge, and one Eastern Star chapter. There is probably some Masonic activity there. Check at the chaplain's office.

Bob Franks

I was sitting in a meeting the other day, trying to look awake, and reflected back on the subject of military lodges and on the concept of a "Lodge in a Box," that a lodge could use to set up a lodge in a borrowed space to have the proper minimum equipment. This could also be a concept used by a lodge in a rented space as apparently was common over a hundred years ago.

Volume of Sacred Law
Charter
Square & Compasses
3 candlesticks
hat
Aprons & jewels for officers
3 gavels
4 folding tables (3 officer stations + altar)
2 columns
sword
minute book
aprons
hoodwink
cabletow
pajamas

What could be left out?
What needs to be added?
Some things like chairs could be considered locally available.

S&F

goomba

Left out: PJ's, officer jewels, could there is an alternate for the sword ie a machete or large knife.
I think you could get creative with various things to save space. Like the columns I have seen small wardens columns these could work I think. If it's a military lodge there might not be a need to pack a hat either at headgear will be present. Could three flash lights take the place of the candles?

Just ideas no disrespect meant.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Assuming this lodge will not be conferring degrees, that list looks good. I might add rods and truncheons for the stewards, deacons and wardens. In my jurisdiction, there should only be one gavel.

Winter

I've been here before
My Emulation Lodge in Wisconsin operates out of a box. We use rooms at a high end private club so everything we use breaks down and gets puts away after the meeting. It is very easy to do and still have very nice Lodge furniture.

cemab4y

I have been working in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2004. Except for a brief period in 2005, no USA Grand Lodge (other than Prince Hall) has operated any recognized lodge in these two countries.

When I was in Iraq, I attemped to obtain a "Swisher Kit", and operate a lodge, but I was never able to secure approval from the Grand Lodge of Nebraska.

If some USA Grand Lodge (other than PH) can get some Masonry underway in Afghanistan, before the show is over, that would be terrific. Please inform me of any activity.

You may wish to see my blog about Masonry in Afghanistan:

http://www.cemab4y.blogspot.com