Military Lodge

MWS

I have been working in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2004. Except for a brief period in 2005, no USA Grand Lodge (other than Prince Hall) has operated any recognized lodge in these two countries.
<Hijack on>
It amazes me that there are no US Grand Lodges operating in Afghanistan, I thought there would be many considering so many brethren serving in the armed forces. I know there were some international Lodges, in Afghanistan at one point, I'm curious to here if there were/are others...
<Hijack off>

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
My Emulation Lodge in Wisconsin operates out of a box. We use rooms at a high end private club so everything we use breaks down and gets puts away after the meeting. It is very easy to do and still have very nice Lodge furniture.
Can you post an inventory for the box? How large is the box?
This is exactly what I have been thinking about; not only military lodges (which I am wholeheartedly FOR!), but also lodges who don't want to be bound by caring for an expensive building.

S&F

edwmax

Add a ballot box with white marbles and black cubes.
EA, FC, & MM trestle boards (flip chart) could be included for lectures or degree work.
Lecture monitors ( 4 or 5)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just from my own experience when I was in country , we did not have time to go to lodge meetings or degree work . We were constantly on working parties , standing fire watch/guard duty , taking care of our howitzers and weapons etc; etc; , so we were too wiped out to do anything else and caught sleep when ever we could . Even if I was a Mason back then , I would have had no interest in foregoing much needed rest so I could attend a lodge meeting .

Not saying the brethren over seas now would feel the same way , just my own observation of my personal experiences .

Bob Franks

Add a ballot box with white marbles and black cubes.
EA, FC, & MM trestle boards (flip chart) could be included for lectures or degree work.
Lecture monitors ( 4 or 5)
Good stuff! I didn't think of them.
Although in NC (or in IN long ago...) I have never seen a tracing board or slides used for the FCD; If the lodge doesn't have physical stairs, they find a substitute like the painted carpet I rolled out last Monday night, with a certain number of steps depicted.

S&F

Bob Franks

Just from my own experience when I was in country , we did not have time to go to lodge meetings or degree work . We were constantly on working parties , standing fire watch/guard duty , taking care of our howitzers and weapons etc; etc; , so we were too wiped out to do anything else and caught sleep when ever we could . Even if I was a Mason back then , I would have had no interest in foregoing much needed rest so I could attend a lodge meeting .

Not saying the brethren over seas now would feel the same way , just my own observation of my personal experiences .
Brother Charles has apparently observed that some Brothers have the time in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
Anyway, I was thinking of the same setup for a "landless" lodge 'back in the world.'

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Brother Charles has apparently observed that some Brothers have the time in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
Anyway, I was thinking of the same setup for a "landless" lodge 'back in the world.'

S&F
I understood that , just making conversation .

cemab4y

As far as working in Iraq/Afghanistan, I have been doing it for over 9 (nine) years. As far as having the time to run a lodge, and participate, that depends on your job and your duty station. When I worked in computer admin, I had plenty of free time. Mostly, I was "on call", in case a computer broke down. Some days I would work 12-14 hours a day, some days I would work less than one (1) HOUR per day. Computers break down when they are in the mood.

When I worked on the balloon project, I worked 12 hours per day 7 days a week. I had no time for lodge!

I am returning to Afghanistan soon. Maybe I can participate in a lodge then.