New Masons

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have read a thread that Edmax created on another forum and it has been something that has been on my mind for a while .

We are Master Masons from various different jurisdictions , who have various different customs , rules and regulations . What we do in our jurisdiction does not happen in others . And what others do are different than in my jurisdiction . And some things that go on , well , we will not always agree upon .

Now to my point , new Masons need to check themselves when they come onto these forums and think they are going to tell long time Master Masons what for . We have been around for a long time , some longer than others . Some of us are Past Masters , some of us are Past/current Grand Lodge officers . Most of us (hopefully) know the rules and regulations of our jurisdictions , most of us are ritualists and know our rituals .We have been around , we know .

And to top it off , some of us find things such as "protecting one's light" and "testing/trying" other Master Masons in public as ... well... I will leave that up to the members to decide . But we do not need new Masons coming onto our forums , getting mad at older Master Masons because we do not partake in such antics .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I was on another forum and read a non-Mason who just petitioned telling Master Masons their business . Now that really takes the cake .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have read a thread that Edmax created on another forum and it has been something that has been on my mind for a while .

We are Master Masons from various different jurisdictions , who have various different customs , rules and regulations . What we do in our jurisdiction does not happen in others . And what others do are different than in my jurisdiction . And some things that go on , well , we will not always agree upon .

Now to my point , new Masons need to check themselves when they come onto these forums and think they are going to tell long time Master Masons what for . We have been around for a long time , some longer than others . Some of us are Past Masters , some of us are Past/current Grand Lodge officers . Most of us (hopefully) know the rules and regulations of our jurisdictions , most of us are ritualists and know our rituals .We have been around , we know .

And to top it off , some of us find things such as "protecting one's light" and "testing/trying" other Master Masons in public as ... well... I will leave that up to the members to decide . But we do not need new Masons coming onto our forums , getting mad at older Master Masons because we do not partake of such antics .
Just to add to the discussion, not really a disagreement with what you are saying...

Suppose a newer Mason has a particular insight to a topic that a long time Master Mason doesn't? Are they to yield to a Mason just because of his tenure? Not having prime examples to list, I'm just throwing this out there. Of course, calling a Brother out in a forum isn't appropriate... I was thinking of interpretations of regulations, or ritual etc...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yes , if they do something different in their jurisdiction then that is fine . What I was talking about is more about a new Mason telling an older Mason that what they do (or do not do ) in their jurisdiction is wrong . Sorry for the confusion .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Yes , if they do something different in their jurisdiction then that is fine . What I was talking about is more about a new Mason telling an older Mason that what they do (or do not do ) in their jurisdiction is wrong . Sorry for the confusion .
Oh... Totally different situation. I agree. Oh, and you guys up in Kentucky are doing it wrong. :evillaugh:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I was on another forum and read a non-Mason who just petitioned telling Master Masons their business . Now that really takes the cake .
Hmmm... I'll have to look for that one. I'll bet he got his backside handed to him.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You know , after some thought , what is truly scary . I have seen older Masons (on the internet and in person) who THINK they know about Freemasonry but talk mostly out of their butts .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
You know , after some thought , what is truly scary . I have seen older Masons (on the internet and in person) who THINK they know about Freemasonry but talk mostly out of their butts .
That was my meaning when I replied to you. I have one such Brother in my own Lodge. His recollection of Masonic history is a bit... shall we say, flawed... LOL

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Also , allow me to clarify again LOL . History and symbolism is not on the table here . Again , this more of the daily ins and outs of the Lodge , rules and regulations , traditions and what not .

Maybe I should have added this to my OP LOL .

Brother I know a 50 year member , a PM , a 33rd SR Mason so on and so forth that tells all the candidates that the allegory of the Master Mason degree is not allegory but based purely and completely on historical FACT .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Also , allow me to clarify again LOL . History and symbolism is not on the table here . Again , this more of the daily ins and outs of the Lodge , rules and regulations , traditions and what not .

Brother I know a 50 year member , a PM , a 33rd SR Mason so on and so forth that tells all the candidates that the allegory of the Master Mason degree is not allegory but based purely and completely on historical FACT .
LOL! Oh, I know. I'm sorry for taking your OP off topic. It's just that the subject reminded me of that Brother, so I had to share.

edwmax

Oh ... I know that type well. I don't pay any attention to him. ... Unless, he force a debate on me that I otherwise don't want. The two that tried it, got their ass handed back to them. ...

goomba

wow.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]Brother I know a 50 year member , a PM , a 33rd SR Mason so on and so forth that tells all the candidates that the allegory of the Master Mason degree is not allegory but based purely and completely on historical FACT .
WB Ash, how can you know him? He's never been out of NC! He's a member of my lodge. :D

S&F

edwmax

Actually, I made two Stickies on that forum ... One for New Masons and another for Masons of the Emulation Constitutions & Constitutions outside of the US. ...

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
You might be interested in a post by an Oz Brother this made this morning at 7:47a in the 'Leaving' thread.
http://forum.mastermason.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11772
There has got to be more to this than just what's in that thread. It seems like a knee jerk reaction, although I've been guilty of that too. While I get along with most (even if we don't agree), there is one brother there that makes my blood boil by his mere presence on that list. I'll admit, I avoided the place like the plaque because of him. EdMax knows who I'm talking about.

The problem was that the guy is VERY versed in the forum rules. He is an attorney by vocation, and takes great pride in walking the fine line so that the forum staff can't do much in the way of reprimand for his behavior. He gets great enjoyment out of making others look inferior and stupid.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that there is usually a back story that led up to these brothers feeling the way that they do. I don't see that the administration did anything wrong. Just like our forum here... You are allowed to disagree. When the attacks become personal, or violate the forum rules the Staff steps in. Otherwise, we are all adults. If what is said offends you, put your big boy britches on and deal with it in a civilized manner.

edwmax

The user you refer to hasn't posted for a while. He has not been banned, but agreed to lighten up and reduce his posting. ... It was this user that started one heck of a fight among the Admins when I insisted that he be banned at the end of 2010. He is not a problem anymore.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The user you refer to hasn't posted for a while. He has not been banned, but agreed to lighten up and reduce his posting. ... It was this user that started one heck of a fight among the Admins when I insisted that he be banned at the end of 2010. He is not a problem anymore.
You can't ban him. He'd just bring a lawsuit against you anyway. I'm not surprised that he caused disharmony among the Admins. He appeared to have some of them in his pocket when he would troll for victims to shred. Everything about that guy makes my blood boil. From his signature- "I crack wise all the time and have never been sent to a hospital"(in other words, I say offensive things and get away with it because I'll sue you), to the way he baits people with his "I'm of superior intellect" attitude. I truly feel sorry for those who were ignorant enough to admit him to receive the degrees.