No Dress Code

The Mason that I have been talking to. Said there is no dress code in his lodge I just have dress nice, So ill have to go buy me some nicer clothes.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Once upon at time...men dressed formally for lodge: suit and tie, even tuxedo or morning coat for officers.
When I was Master, I had insurmountable difficulty getting my Junior Deacon to dress in anything more formal than cut-off jeans and sandals. [sigh]

My uniform-
Regular lodge meetings: nice slacks with collared shirt, with a nice wool sweater in cool weather.
Official visit to a lodge (as DDGL): suit and tie, official apron, neck jewel, and name tag.
Lecturing in a degree: suit and tie, plain apron, as not to intimidate the candidate.
Outdoor degree: Okay, put on the blue jeans, comfortable shirt...even a belt knife.

S&F

I have a lots of t shirt's a few collared shirts , no suit and tie the last time I had one was at my cousin wedding.

Winter

I've been here before
And in some Lodges, like mine, you cannot get in unless you are in a dark suit and tie. Officers wear tuxedos. At every meeting. Guests are held to this standard as well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
And in some Lodges, like mine, you cannot get in unless you are in a dark suit and tie. Officers wear tuxedos. At every meeting. Guests are held to this standard as well.
I remember not long ago I would have fought you on this , but now I agree . Well , I do not go so far as tuxes , but I do require my officers in dark suits . I know how far I can push it and when to back off and tuxes would have been to far . There was a time when everyone who came to my second lodge wore tuxes and suits , then we became lazy (around the 70's) . I want to get that lodge back to it's glory days .

I think all men should own a suit , or at the very least a jacket and tie . Not so much to go to lodge in but there are times , out of respect , when a suit is proper attire . Funerals , weddings , job interviews etc; etc; .

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Out here the officers wear tuxedos for degrees, other times it is suits, except in summer- then it may be lodge polo shirts.

WvMason

In my lodge some of the elder brothers wear suits but most people wear khakis and a nice shirt in regular meetings.

Same here, My Lodge is coat and tie for members, Tuxedos for Line Officers, and we are the only Lodge in MD that meets Every Monday night, so if you go every week, its tough to change attire! I went looking for sales in JC Penny and found a number of nice jackets and pants to mix and match.

asgard

With us it is White Tie and tails for officers, and Black Tie and tux for everyone else. Occasionally visitors are in dark suits.

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
I would love to upgrade the mode of dress, but we're lucky if people wear button-down shirts much of the time. I'm as guilty as anyone else, though, but after doing the degree work with the Scottish Rite, where we had a set dress-code (and the officers were in tuxes) I realized how much we were missing by not making it "special"... So the next Blue Lodge meeting I was at, I showed up in a suit. And people were amazed at the dressing up. I don't know if our WM would insist on it for the officers, even, or if that would put our core officers at risk of mutiny.

When I get my turn in the East in about six years, I don't know what I should do.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
When and if I get to be WM, black tuxes for officers and everyone else in thr Lodge will wear a suit.

Zack

When and if I get to be WM, black tuxes for officers and everyone else in thr Lodge will wear a suit.
It is in your bylaws what the officers dress code is, therefore it would require a change in the bylaws and I seriously doubt you could get that done.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It states in our By-laws that officers dress code is at the Master's discretion . Therefore I enforced a suit and tie dress code , tuxes would have been pushing it to far . The only reason it is in there is because all the officers used to wear matching lodge blazers back in the 50's and 60's .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
It is in your bylaws what the officers dress code is, therefore it would require a change in the bylaws and I seriously doubt you could get that done.
LOL... You have obviously not been to my Lodge meetings lately. 3/4 of the officers already want to go from the white. Combined with that, the amount of people who show up on the sidelines is small. I know how to work this angle. We do it at my FF local meetings all the time. ;)

Zack

And the sidelines would grow smaller. You can put lipstick on a pig......
I wish you luck.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
And the sidelines would grow smaller. You can put lipstick on a pig......
I wish you luck.
You know as well as I do that I'll never make it to the East, so they can have their white coats if that keeps the Brothers coming to Lodge. I just happen to find them silly. They do nothing but show stains or dirt, and look exceptionally outdated. But then, this is coming from a guy who is probably one of the youngest in my Lodge (I think there might be one or two that are younger).

As far as the Brethren wearing suits or sport coats... It beats having PDDGM showing up in blue jeans with their bellies hanging over their pants. It's not a matter of Lodge location (farm folk), or even a matter of money. These guys have the money AND the clothing. They just choose to disrespect the Craft by not wearing them. Like I said... I'll NEVER be master of my Lodge.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You know as well as I do that I'll never make it to the East, so they can have their white coats if that keeps the Brothers coming to Lodge. I just happen to find them silly. They do nothing but show stains or dirt, and look exceptionally outdated. But then, this is coming from a guy who is probably one of the youngest in my Lodge (I think there might be one or two that are younger).

As far as the Brethren wearing suits or sport coats... It beats having PDDGM showing up in blue jeans with their bellies hanging over their pants. It's not a matter of Lodge location (farm folk), or even a matter of money. These guys have the money AND the clothing. They just choose to disrespect the Craft by not wearing them. Like I said... I'll NEVER be master of my Lodge.

Do not think like that . I have a brother whom I am constantly talking down off the ledge (so to speak) . You just have to wait them out and then make the lodge and Masonry yours for you and others like you .

For example , at one time all these old men with those fancy titles and degree numbers by their names was were everyone congregated . That wanted to be seen with them . This is no longer the case , they are being put out to pasture now . We are the brethren all the newer , younger Masons want to be around . We dress well and look the part , we talk about Masonry (instead of who is important and who is not) , we talk about what is important . Now these old men sit by themselves and the torch has been passed , their day in the sun is over .

ETA : Their voices are fading as our voices grows louder . Hope this makes sense .