On Wearing The Ring

thebrianmo

There are probably a lot of answers to this question; but I am wondering at what point in time did you put your ring on after being raised to MM? Did you take it to Lodge with you when you were raised and put it on afterwards?

Also, do the points of the Compasses face you or face outward?

I already have one ring, which will most likely be my everyday ring, since it was a cheaper ring I purchased on ebay. I'd also like to get a Tungsten and maybe another one also.

johnj1582

I didn't have my own ring at my raising, though it was already in the mail... Until I finally received my ring, I wore my grandfather's ring. I still do on occasion. I have seen rings presented to the newly raised brother during the open stuff after the degree when non-masonic family and friends can come into the lodge room.

as for the points of the Compasses, I have heard several theories but it pretty much comes down to what you like. some days, my ring is one way, and other days I wear it reversed.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I was given my ring by my father the day after I was raised. I started wearing it when it was given to me. Although there is no wrong way to wear the ring, I was told this simple phrase. Wear it with the compasses pointing away to remind other masons of their obligations to G**, wear it with the compasses pointing toward you to remind you of your obligations to G**. I personally wear mine with the compasses pointing toward me.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I am bringing mine ring to my Raising and will ask my mentor if he would do me the honor. All the rings I wear have a wear shape to them so it will end up being one or another.

Esoterically speaking, since the compasses scribe our due bounds I would put go that they should worn pointing outward so as to be able to do their work properly.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
There are probably a lot of answers to this question; but I am wondering at what point in time did you put your ring on after being raised to MM? Did you take it to Lodge with you when you were raised and put it on afterwards?

Also, do the points of the Compasses face you or face outward?

I already have one ring, which will most likely be my everyday ring, since it was a cheaper ring I purchased on ebay. I'd also like to get a Tungsten and maybe another one also.
I originally wore mine with the symbol upsidedown so that it would be upright when I held my hand up to look at it, to remind me that I am a Mason.
On December 27, 2001, I quietly reversed it, to show the world I am a Mason, when I first sat in the East, at my Installation.
I have worn it that way ever since.

S&F

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I am bringing mine ring to my Raising and will ask my mentor if he would do me the honor. All the rings I wear have a wear shape to them so it will end up being one or another.

Esoterically speaking, since the compasses scribe our due bounds I would put go that they should worn pointing outward so as to be able to do their work properly.
Goodness gracious, Russ, you're just joining the fraternity, you're not marrying anybody!

Also take the time to check around your Lodge and see how they feel about it: yes, you will be a Master Mason (assuming you survive the degree), but you will not be a proficient Master Mason. Some Lodges/Jurisdictions/etc. say that you should be proficient before you display the emblems of Masonry. My memory isn't what it once was, but I do not recall that the Wisconsin Masonic Code says anything about that, leaving it in the hands of the individual Lodges.

My feeling is that you shouldn't display the S&C until you're a proficient (and therefore 'full') MM. However, that's just my feeling (and sometimes that changes). I was prouder than I can say to put a Masonic lapel pin on Mark's jacket at his 3rd, but I know Mark ... he's my student, after all ... and I know that he will present a perfect proficiency and in a very short time, too.

So ... Check with your Lodge. Make a few calls. Find out how they feel about you sporting the ol' S&C on the big night.

Oh ... and if you think the 'wedding' is rough, just wait till you get to the 'honeymoon'. ;)

Duncan1574

Goodness gracious, Russ, you're just joining the fraternity, you're not marrying anybody!

Also take the time to check around your Lodge and see how they feel about it: yes, you will be a Master Mason (assuming you survive the degree), but you will not be a proficient Master Mason. Some Lodges/Jurisdictions/etc. say that you should be proficient before you display the emblems of Masonry. My memory isn't what it once was, but I do not recall that the Wisconsin Masonic Code says anything about that, leaving it in the hands of the individual Lodges.

My feeling is that you shouldn't display the S&C until you're a proficient (and therefore 'full') MM. However, that's just my feeling (and sometimes that changes). I was prouder than I can say to put a Masonic lapel pin on Mark's jacket at his 3rd, but I know Mark ... he's my student, after all ... and I know that he will present a perfect proficiency and in a very short time, too.

So ... Check with your Lodge. Make a few calls. Find out how they feel about you sporting the ol' S&C on the big night.

Oh ... and if you think the 'wedding' is rough, just wait till you get to the 'honeymoon'. ;)
I called and it is okay for me to wear my ring that night. :)
I am spoken for so another wedding would be bigamy or is that big OF me?

thebrianmo

I asked my WM; telling him that I did not want to do anything that I should not do. To my surprise, he informed me that when I was initiated as an EA I was entitled to wear a masonic emblem as I was a Mason. Perhaps this is different in different jurisdictions? My own personal view is that I will not wear my rings until I am raised to MM, which is tonight!

Duncan1574

I asked my WM; telling him that I did not want to do anything that I should not do. To my surprise, he informed me that when I was initiated as an EA I was entitled to wear a masonic emblem as I was a Mason. Perhaps this is different in different jurisdictions? My own personal view is that I will not wear my rings until I am raised to MM, which is tonight!
I wish you an interesting night, we'll compare notes next week after I am Raised. ;)

i've heard several brothers say before that a brother should not wear a masonic ring until after he has gone through the 3rd degree ceremonies.
as far as which way to wear the ring, i think it's just a matter of preferance. i've been told that wearing the ring so the sqaure and compass is facing you, that tells you the you're a MM. having the square and compasss facing away from you tells every one else that you're a MM.

thebrianmo

i've heard several brothers say before that a brother should not wear a masonic ring until after he has gone through the 3rd degree ceremonies.
as far as which way to wear the ring, i think it's just a matter of preferance. i've been told that wearing the ring so the sqaure and compass is facing you, that tells you the you're a MM. having the square and compasss facing away from you tells every one else that you're a MM.
Out of respect for my Brothers and out of tradition, I did not wear my ring (other than trying it on to ensure it fit) until I was raised to the Sublime degree of Master Mason. I put it on after the second section of the ceremony was complete and before the lecture.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Patrick, I am thinking you need to work on your diabolical laugh, its coming across sounding like a giddy schoolgirl..:D
I never said I didn't SOUND like a giddy schoolgirl. It's part of basic training in the EIEIO. THat way nobody takes us seriously until it's way too late.

tomgndallas

Yep, I wore mine after raising, the next day. I also wear it with the compass points facing me, so I can reflect on the teachings of the degrees, circumscribing my passions and improving myself in masonry and in life.