One Day to Masonry?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
While I can understand the rare circumstance where the process of a ODC or M2M would be considered (i.e. a soldier deploying on short notice) these should be the rare exception and not used for men who just can't make the time in their lives to go through the process. If they claim they are too busy to go through the degrees properly, how much time do they really have to devote to the Craft?

By cramming all three degrees into one day and going through the rituals just for forms sake it completely detroys the initiatic process that changes the individual man from the profane to a Freemason.
I agree that there should be a process for someone who was in the regular process and they are getting deployed, even then there is usually some amount of time from being told about the deployment and actually leaving. A good Lodge could make it happen with special Lodge meetings, team mentoring, etc. But it should be an exception to the rule, ODCs could just create shallow Masons with no appreciation for the labor and process of posting.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I agree that there should be a process for someone who was in the regular process and they are getting deployed, even then there is usually some amount of time from being told about the deployment and actually leaving. A good Lodge could make it happen with special Lodge meetings, team mentoring, etc. But it should be an exception to the rule, ODCs could just create shallow Masons with no appreciation for the labor and process of posting.
The year I was Senior Warden, we got a petition from an airman who had already received advance notice of his orders to Australia. He was diligent, sharp, and motivated. He was able to learn the required catechisms with breakneck speed and Raised in less than a month. He attended Lodge in Australia, and although now in a distant state, he is still on the books.

Old medical adage: Pi$$ poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

S&F

Duncan1574

The year I was Senior Warden, we got a petition from an airman who had already received advance notice of his orders to Australia. He was diligent, sharp, and motivated. He was able to learn the required catechisms with breakneck speed and Raised in less than a month. He attended Lodge in Australia, and although now in a distant state, he is still on the books.

Old medical adage: Pi$$ poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

S&F
This takes the thread into a tangent (shocking :D),[Devil's advocate mode on] what prevented that airman from petitioning a year ago? Was it a bucket list thing motivated by him going into possible danger? OR was it something less noble, perhaps the desire for a Mason's funeral in case he did not live? [DA mode off]

G

Gary

S&F
Amen Brother. I still say NO to one day classes.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
This takes the thread into a tangent (shocking :D),[Devil's advocate mode on] what prevented that airman from petitioning a year ago? Was it a bucket list thing motivated by him going into possible danger? OR was it something less noble, perhaps the desire for a Mason's funeral in case he did not live? [DA mode off]
Maybe going to Australia made him prepare for a Masonic funeral.:D

I never had the chance to ask what held him back. His dad was the president of a national Masonic organization, so he was certainly familiar with the Craft. As a USAF LtCol, I would think he know how to plan ahead.

S&F

cemab4y

No topic has generated more "heat", than the discussion of One-day classes (ODC's). Many masons go "ballistic", and just freak out. Myself, I try to keep an open mind. I was in Florida, in 2009, and the Grand Master of Masons put out a statement, that there would be no ODC's on his term. Ohio has had some experience with ODC's. In Virginia, each Masonic district has the option of holding one ODC per year, if there is interest.

I live in Northern Virginia. The commute there is the 2d worst in the USA. Some men spend 4 hours a day, in their cars. Getting to degree work at night, is impossible. Holding a ODC on a Saturday, has given many men, the opportunity to participate in Masonry, who otherwise never could.

If your lodge is opposed to ODCs, then why not compromise? You could schedule degree work on Saturday mornings, and hold ONE degree at a time, with the standard interval between the degrees. That way, men who cannot take degree work at night, can take the degrees.

In the state of Kentucky, during WW2, some lodges operated "around the clock", doing degree work for soldiers who were deploying overseas. Many of these "one-day Masons" went on to become excellent Masons.

"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got" - Cromwell.

Winter

I've been here before
I have no opposition to conducting the degree work at a time that is convienient for the candidate.

But there is no possible way, no matter what argument anybody puts forward, that we can equate the initiatic expeerience with watching a play for a few hours on th sidelines.

ODC's completely neuter the Masonic experience. And, yes, I know some great men who were great Brothers who did go through the experience of a ODC. But for every one of those there is 20 or 50 pretenders out there wearing the ring who know nothing of who or what we are, or even worse, leave unfulfilled with a negative impression of the Mysteries.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We work around mens schedules , we will put on degrees on Saturday mornings or any other evening in the week that they can make , with the exception of Sundays . We are there for them so there is no excuse that they can not find the time .

I am curious , who will not or can not set up "called " meetings for degree work , Is there jurisdictions/lodges that is prohibited from putting on degree work on any other night other than their stated meetings ?

Zack

in Fl there are no prohibitions that I'm aware of except for Sundays.

My Lodge is a daylight lodge so 99% of our degrees are done in day time but we adjust the day and time to accomodate different requirements.

If day time doesn't mesh with the petitioners schedule then his attending lodge will be problematic so perhaps he should join elsewhere.

G

Gary

in Fl there are no prohibitions that I'm aware of except for Sundays.

My Lodge is a daylight lodge so 99% of our degrees are done in day time but we adjust the day and time to accomodate different requirements.

If day time doesn't mesh with the petitioners schedule then his attending lodge will be problematic so perhaps he should join elsewhere.
I would have plural membership in your Lodge, but I work during the day. I do attend when I'm able however.

I agree. If the meeting times are an issue, you need to find a Lodge that better suits your needs.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
In NE there is no day that a degree cannot be put on. In my lodge we have done every day of the week other than Sunday. The biggest issue we run into is men with younger families having conflicts with school, peewee FB, baseball, BB, and all the other family conflicts that are out there.

As we all know Masonry should be listed below your family in importance.

Duncan1574

I have no opposition to conducting the degree work at a time that is convienient for the candidate.

But there is no possible way, no matter what argument anybody puts forward, that we can equate the initiative experience with watching a play for a few hours on th sidelines.

ODC's completely neuter the Masonic experience. And, yes, I know some great men who were great Brothers who did go through the experience of a ODC. But for every one of those there is 20 or 50 pretenders out there wearing the ring who know nothing of who or what we are, or even worse, leave unfulfilled with a negative impression of the Mysteries.
As a newbie to Freemasonry, I would not want to do myself the injustice of foreshortening the posting process, reading FM books, and the input of other Brothers that were more helpful than the catechism/memorization in showing me the nuances of the EA degree.
I agree with you Bro. Winter, the concept of ODC can turn out Masons, but how good will they be, if they are not required to 'get caught up' with subsequent education, reading, postings.
If I was offered an ODC, I might have accepted it back in October, but now? NO WAY!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I only asked the questions because Cemab4y asked if lodges could make a compromise and work around Men's s schedules such as putting on degrees on a Saturday morning , when we have that option and already do this (at least here in Ky ) .

So I am curious as to the states that do have ODCs' , if they are only permitted to put on degree work at their stated meetings and no other time and if this is why they went the One Day Class route ?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
You know, upon re-reading this thread and thinking about it for a time, I have a few opinions (who'da thunk it?) that I'd like to share:

While one-day classes (ODC) make Masons, and some jurisdictions report great success with ODC Masons, I've begun to wonder. What circumstances really make an ODC necessary?

If you don't have time for the degrees are you going to have time for the Lodge? If you're in the military, aren't there military Lodges around? Aren't there Lodges in the community where you're stationed that could do the work as a courtesy for your home jurisdiction? What, oh what, is the big rush?

Duncan1574

You know, upon re-reading this thread and thinking about it for a time, I have a few opinions (who'da thunk it?) that I'd like to share:

While one-day classes (ODC) make Masons, and some jurisdictions report great success with ODC Masons, I've begun to wonder. What circumstances really make an ODC necessary?

If you don't have time for the degrees are you going to have time for the Lodge? If you're in the military, aren't there military Lodges around? Aren't there Lodges in the community where you're stationed that could do the work as a courtesy for your home jurisdiction? What, oh what, is the big rush?
Okay, letting you all a peek beneath the kimono: since I became a Mason, I have wondered about petitioning the Celestial Lodge and what effect me having a Mason's funeral if I were to not have time to complete my MM before that event. It bothered me a bit that I might not get to have it, but that was only AFTER I became a Mason and have begun to understand what that means.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Okay, letting you all a peek beneath the kimono: since I became a Mason, I have wondered about petitioning the Celestial Lodge and what effect me having a Mason's funeral if I were to not have time to complete my MM before that event. It bothered me a bit that I might not get to have it, but that was only AFTER I became a Mason and have begun to understand what that means.
Ewwww .... keep that kimono closed. Please!!! In our jurisdiction, Bro. Russ, it would not be an issue. A Masonic funeral is only available to Master Masons in good standing. So, should you require that service before you complete the 3rd ... well, you'd just be outta luck. So ... the lesson here is to just keep on living long enough to have completed the 3rd.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You would not be left out in Ky . All Brothers , from the EA to the Master Mason in good standing receive a Masonic Funeral .

Duncan1574

You would not be left out in Ky . All Brothers , from the EA to the Master Mason in good standing receive a Masonic Funeral .
Good to know, I am not actually sure how Wis. falls on the subject, only what I have seen in general conversations. And I am not going to need a petition to the CL anytime soon, just the morbid side of me that comes out at times.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We passed this legislation back in 06' or 07' (I do not have my constitution with the exact date near me) . I can not believe it took this many years to have that on the books . A Freemason is a Freemason , be it EA , FC or MM . But things in Freemasonry change at a snails pace .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We passed this legislation back in 06' or 07' (I do not have my constitution with the exact date near me) . I can not believe it took this many years to have that on the books . A Freemason is a Freemason , be it EA , FC or MM . But things in Freemasonry change at a snails pace .
Reminds me of the old joke:

How many Freemasons does it take to change a light bulb?

Freemasons don't like change. :)