One Day to Masonry?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Reminds me of the old joke:

How many Freemasons does it take to change a light bulb?

Freemasons don't like change. :)
Storming, Forming, Norming, & Performing.
It is against human nature, our survival is based upon it, ever wonder why it seems SO long to drive somewhere, but not nearly as long on the way back?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Reminds me of the old joke:

Freemasons don't like change. :)

Four.

One to change the light bulb.
One to hold the ladder.
One to read the minutes of the last light bulb changing.
One to sit on the sidelines and mumble, "That's not how we changed light bulbs in MY year!"

Duncan1574

Four.

One to change the light bulb.
One to hold the ladder.
One to read the minutes of the last light bulb changing.
One to sit on the sidelines and mumble, "That's not how we changed light bulbs in MY year!"
you forgot: "one sitting behind the changer with a book full of rituals, mumbling what they are forgetting or mis-reciting, WAIT! There is no aardvark in this Lodge, thats the other lodge!"

cemab4y

I reside in Virginia. (I do not belong to a VA lodge, but I do belong to Alexandria VA scottish rite). In Virginia, each Masonic district, may have one (1) ODC per year, if there is interest. Districts in urban areas are more likely to have a ODC, than districts in rural areas.

Since the process takes many hours, the normal procedure is hold the ODC on a Saturday. The lodges generally "pool" their resources, and the best ritualists from different lodges, work together to create real "spiffy" ritual.

The lodge opens at 06:30am, and a breakfast meal is served. The degree work proceeds, and continues all day. The process is concluded in the afternoon.

Some of the graduates go on to be excellent masons. It is only a matter of time, before a one-day mason is able to go through the Grand Line. Some of the ODC masons go into the appendant bodies, and do not participate in Craft Masonry, except to pay dues. Some ODC masons drop out after a while. Basically, ODC masons participate in Masonry, about like Masons who have taken the traditional route. Some progress in Masonry, some drop out.

Winter

I've been here before
Sorry cemab4y. Just because they put on a good show does not convince me that the practice is valid. ODC's are still anathema to to the initiatic process.

cemab4y

I am not a fan of ODC's. I have never witnessed one. My home Grand Lodge (KY) does not yet have ODC's. (KY did have accelerated degree work, during WW2, some lodges worked around the clock, doing degree work on deploying soldiers).

In VA, the degree work and ritual, conducted in ODC's is first-rate. I agree, that a well-performed ritual, does not in itself, make a good Mason.

Nevertheless, I still keep an open mind when it comes to ODC Masons. If a man has completed the degrees, and is duly obligated to the Craft, he is Mason, whether he took the degrees in one day, or one year.

Zack

Nevertheless, I still keep an open mind when it comes to ODC Masons. If a man has completed the degrees, and is duly obligated to the Craft, he is Mason, whether he took the degrees in one day, or one year.
I don't think anyone is saying anything against ODC Brothers. It is the one-day process I find negative as I believe it to be mostly for members and money. Nothing against the Brothers but I do not/willnot participate in them
unless there is a more valid reason for the ODC other than convenience.

berthemp

. This is especially the case with some of our brothers who are EMT's, Nurses, Police etc. We have found that they have had a tough time getting all the nights off for their degree and following Lodge of Instruction. The one day class makes it easier for them to get through and get involved.

I disagree wtih this statement because I, and several other brothers, are U.S. Border Patrol Agents and Supervisors and we have had no problem doing all three individual degrees. I don't believe in the one day 3 degree event. I think too much is missed with the other brothers and learning the rules and etiquette of masonry. Just my 1/2 cent.

berthemp

I forgot to add that I think also in this day and age too many of the youngsters are to into the whole instant gratification thing. While Masons may not like change, this is one tradition we NEED to keep. It is a way of learning patience and humility. Plus it gives us time to really get to know the petitioner. Again, just another 1/2 cent. A few more and I make it all the way to $00.02. OK I should go to bed now. I think I am getting cranky.:mad:

Winter

I've been here before
So, we are all arguing the same side of the coin. We, as Masons, want to bring back the old-school way of making Brothers in our Order. And taking a man who is not an initiate and letting him watch a play for a few hours is unacceptable.

Do I have it right? I hope so!

Laxguy38922

So, we are all arguing the same side of the coin. We, as Masons, want to bring back the old-school way of making Brothers in our Order. And taking a man who is not an initiate and letting him watch a play for a few hours is unacceptable.

Yep, I think most people don't like the idea like you said but also alot of people say it is ok in special times(someones getting deployed, etc).

Duncan1574

/A

As a Mason who is going through the process of E/P/R and giving each back in turn, I agree, I like the Wisconsin Q/A format and it allows for a standardized, repeatable, ceremony. I truly enjoyed the initiation ritual and wouldn't mind doing more of that.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...

Umm ... yeah.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
As a Mason who is going through the process of E/P/R and giving each back in turn, I agree, I like the Wisconsin Q/A format and it allows for a standardized, repeatable, ceremony. I truly enjoyed the initiation ritual and wouldn't mind doing more of that.
What's "E/P/R" ?
Should that be I/P/R for Initiated/Passed/Raised?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

I believe you are correct .