Proper wearing of an apron

G

Gary

I've seen aprons worn outside of a suit jacket, and in some areas the jacket covers the apron...What is the proper protocol for your jurisdiction?

Is there an accepted protocol for all jurisdictions?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
My WM instructed me that I was to wear my apron on the outside of my jacket. He is from Texas originally and that is how they did it there too.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I would say it is cut and dry in my jurisidiction but it is not , it is in the cut and style of the jacket . A regular suit/sport coat or a regular tailess tux coat , the apron is to be worn on the out side of the jacket . If it is a tail coat or an Eaton cut waste tux coat then the apron can be worn under the jacket as long as a very mininmum of the apron is hidden from view .

Duncan1574

I would say it is cut and dry in my jurisidiction but it is not , it is in the cut and style of the jacket . A regular suit/sport coat or a regular tailess tux coat , the apron is to be worn on the out side of the jacket . If it is a tail coat or an Eaton cut waste tux coat then the apron can be worn under the jacket as long as a very mininmum of the apron is hidden from view .
Thinking about the waistcoat thing, my Prince Charlies is a cut-away waist coat with short tails, it would be tough to tie an apron over it!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can not speak for your jurisdiction but you could wear your apron under that coat in mine . As long as most of the bib and main body of the apron will be seen then it is fine .

It is hard to explain with out a visual , but if the cut of the coat sweeps down and out and only the upper corner and some of the sides of the apron is covered but the rest is in view , then we are good to go .

I have seen some wear their aprons on the outside of tuxes with tails and I do not like it . It just does not look right to me . But then again some of the older members wear their aprons around the middle of their stomachs and I wear mine at my waist around my belt line .

Duncan1574

[snip] But then again some of the older members wear their aprons around the middle of their stomachs and I wear mine at my waist around my belt line .
Are you says their are on the level because their bubble is in the middle? :rolleyes:

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Aprons are worn over the coat in my jurisdiction. A Brother was actually gently corrected about this last night at our regular Communication.

G

Gary

The reason I ask is that everything I've read and observed (mostly northern jurisdictions) states that the apron should be outside the coat. I get the tux/tails issue, so that would be the exception I guess.

Here in Florida, The few Lodges I've been to seem to wear the apron with the coat over it (mine included). They leave the coat unbuttoned, but to me that just looks tacky.

The purpose of wearing the apron on the outside (my understanding anyway) is to represent the craft at labor.

There may be a regulation that states that is the way to wear the apron here, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe some of the other Floridian brothers can shed some light on this?

In GA it's outside the coat as well. That doesn't stop some from going under their coats, but I think it's ignorance and not intentional.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Ok , lets make this easy and say regular suit/sport/tux coats .
In Wisconsin, Alaska and Texas (I'm a member in all three), the apron is worn outside of a coat, unless the coat is a cutaway formal jacket or some other jacket where wearing it over would be inappropriate.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is why I was making it easier by saying regular coats , in which I should have added "that hangs below the waste " . It would get confusing by adding waste coats and cut aways into the mix . such as these....

This one...

G

Gary

Haha Who would have thought this would turn out to be a fashion thread...

Thanks for the pic's Ashlar. The dinner jacket/sport coat was what I was initially getting at, but I see that there are many variables to the rule.

So, a dinner jacket or sport coat, as long as it's unbuttoned is ok in your jusridiction? (sorry if I'm getting confused)

In New Zealand it aprons are worn on the outside of Sport Coats or regular Suit Jackets that fall below the waist. If you are wearing Evening Tails (which is rather rare in NZ) then the apron is worn under the Jacket.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Haha Who would have thought this would turn out to be a fashion thread...

Thanks for the pic's Ashlar. The dinner jacket/sport coat was what I was initially getting at, but I see that there are many variables to the rule.

So, a dinner jacket or sport coat, as long as it's unbuttoned is ok in your jusridiction? (sorry if I'm getting confused)

I didn't mean to muddy the waters , just trying to be thorough .

A regular dinner jacket or sport coat would NOT be OK to wear over our arpons , buttoned or unbuttened .

For us country Brothers....is it over or under the Carhart???.....In my Lodge, we are a relaxed attire type lodge....yes jeans and a nice shirt is acceptable...so we dont have any isues with coats generally speaking...fall/winter, jackets and coats are removed before most come in Lodge.

GaryE....what do you think...over or under bunker coat???

Since we are talking fashion....does anyone know, when wearing your dress bib-overalls, do ya wear the tie on the outside or keep it in...... :)

Duncan1574

For us country Brothers....is it over or under the Carhart???.....In my Lodge, we are a relaxed attire type lodge....yes jeans and a nice shirt is acceptable...so we dont have any isues with coats generally speaking...fall/winter, jackets and coats are removed before most come in Lodge.

GaryE....what do you think...over or under bunker coat???

Since we are talking fashion....does anyone know, when wearing your dress bib-overalls, do ya wear the tie on the outside or keep it in...... :)
Under the bunker coat: wouldn't want sparks landing on it, unless your have one of those new-fangled fire-proof aprons.

The tie thing depends: Are you working on the Lodge's Hart-Parr during the annual threshing or just kickin' it?