Proper wearing of an apron

Psi Brr

Veritas vos liberabit
If I recall correctly, only brothers of Hiram #1 are allowed to wear their aprons under a sport coat; all others wear it over all of their clothing.

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
Another good question. The issue is that our ritual was passed by word of mouth since 1711. That means a bunch of folks got it in the start and did their level best to pass it along. When I took my EA ritual training from my mentor, he was about 86 at that time, I learned it without an entire section. When I was examined, I was voted as proficient. Afterwards, the WM took me aside and said, you have an error in your ritual. I asked what, and he explained, so I relearned it correctly, but I did not go back into open lodge and recite it. Every state does it a little differently, and the master of the lodge has say in how it is passed down, there are a lot of small differences, that add up to big differences. Who had it right in the first place, and how close are we today. Good questions without solid answers.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
With a verbal tradition and add to that there is no central body (i.e. each GL is sovereign), the possibility of statistical variance is probable.

Each state does have a GL.... allowing one lodge to do something that another one cant is odd.... unless the Hiram #1 is working (UD).....

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
If you would like to see some of the really cool differences go take a look at the GL of England or Scotland, both have regalia that is amazing and beautiful, but different from ours. I am part of Commandery, and they wear a Navy officer's uniform with different attachments, but in the 1850-1890 they wore a very cool waist coat and tails. I have one from a great-grand father but I only wore it once for a historic event. Like the US Navy, many grand lodges have a wonderful set of traditions uneffected by progress. That is not to take from the wonder of it all, but there are many fine and interesting spices in the dish that is American Freemasonry.

Seperate GL I can understand.... but why would they allow the Brothers from Hiram#1 to do something that the other Brothers from the same GL can not .... is this a special dispensation just for Hiram?

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
Likely not, but this might be how one master sees the rules. The best answer is to ask the District Instructor of Work. Generally they can get you a straight answer. You find many lodges dress differently, I belong to two Blue Lodges, one is very progressive in their dress and wears open shirts and no jackets; the other wear evening dress. I would say the guys in the Tuxes do not do the ritual as well at the progressive group, but it really depends on the evening in question and who is in what chair.

To the best of my knowledge, here in Indiana, the apron is worn over all coats...that is the rule....I could be wrong....as to our dress attire....our Lodges run the full range from formal wear to very casual....but from everything I have seen, apron is over all clothing garmets while in Lodge.

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
That makes very good sense with the original use in mind for such an apron. I looked for a historical reference and found none but I did find a notice online about the apron.

THE MASONIC APRON

Many Masonic Lodges present a white lambskin apron to each newly raised Master Mason. Upon presentation of the apron, a Master Mason is told that it is an emblem of innocence, and the Badge of a Mason; that it is his, to be worn upon all proper occasions throughout an honorable life.

The Masonic apron, when properly worn, shall be completely visible at all times. While wearing a coat as part of your dress, whether in public meetings or within the tiled recesses of your Lodge, the Masonic apron is correctly worn outside the coat.

The Masonic apron is a natural curiosity to the non-Mason. It is often referred to by such descriptive terms as "that funny little apron" or other such terms by those who through ignorance fail to completely comprehend its true attachment to the Mason. The apron has always been associated with work. Except a man be working, he would have no need for an apron. When the Mason puts on his apron, he is signifying to the world his willingness to work at his accepted responsibility. Further, he is signifying the dedication of himself to a life of purity before God and man; because the material of the Masonic apron is lambskin it is also associated with innocence.

This notice comes from an open web site but is the text of an open installation of officers.

This covers my understanding....maybe Psi Brr can shed some further light as to why that one lodge is different in the way they can wear their aprons while at work

it is very interesting learning about other lodges