Quick Question

AngelicHuman

First off. Hello everyone! Been so long since ive logged in. Busy with school and my new job.

Are Masons allowed to lie about being a Mason when asked?

G

Gary

We have the option to reveal our membership. I wouldn't say that it gives a Mason license to lie. If you asked me for example, depending on the circumstances I may tell you or I may not.

Some may simply choose to avoid an awkward situation, or avoid confrontation.

AngelicHuman

Thank you Gary for the response =).

when you say. "i may or may not". say for the sake of argument you were running for mayor of a town, and I asked you "are you a freemason?", and you said, "No, i have nothing to do with freemasonry and I am not a mason".

would that be something a Mason can do legally? and i mean legally by the laws of the lodge or anything else sworn upon

G

Gary

Thank you Gary for the response =).

when you say. "i may or may not". say for the sake of argument you were running for mayor of a town, and I asked you "are you a freemason?", and you said, "No, i have nothing to do with freemasonry and I am not a mason".

would that be something a Mason can do legally? and i mean legally by the laws of the lodge or anything else sworn upon
Honesty and integrity are the traits of a Mason. To knowingly and blatantly lie is not masonic. In the scenario you posed, If I didn't want to answer the question, I wouldn't. I certainly wouldn't renounce my affiliation.

I'd more than likely say that my affiliation with Freemasonry or lack thereof, is not germaine to my running for office.

Winter

I've been here before
Absolutely, a Mason may lie about his membership if he chooses not to have it known outside of the Lodge. In some places it can even bring serious charges or retribution if people knew he was a Mason. (I have a great story about this) This practice is very much used around the world in places where we are not held in good favor.

There are European countries where it is standard to deny membership. And the other side of the coin, like the UK, made it LAW that any government employee must declare membership.

I can tell you honestly that there have been times when I had to lie about my membership. The reasons were honorable, but I still lied.

I don't doubt at all that there are some politicians that do not want their association known because of the baggage that it entails.

AngelicHuman

Ok, that about answers it for me. Thank you again.

Reason why I asked is because I am a supporter of Congressman Ron Paul. Ive followed him on all his debates and he is so honest. most other candidates clearly do not match Ron Pauls eligibility as president. He wants to restore the republic and our constitutional rights, and bring back the wealth of our country. some of his motives seem somewhat extreme, but i believe that extreme situations call for extreme actions. but enough of that.

I decided to type in google "is Ron Paul a freemason?" a bunch of conspiracy crap popped up that he is illuminati Mason and blah blah blah. but i was looking for a credible source. and i found a page from what i believe to be his official website at Ronpaul.com where it states he is not a freemason.

If anything at all. him being so honest and being a freemason would only enhance my support for him.

Do any of you know if he is or not?

G

Gary

Brother Winter, you bring up some good points. But in most common circumstances, I think that "lying" is not the correct way to go about it.

I'd rather consider it a bending of the facts to avoid bodily harm in the situation you described. As you pointed out, there are reasons for protecting yourself. I'll stick by my previous statement that lying is not a good thing for a Mason (generally speaking). Mason or not, I think anyone would do what is necessary in dangerous situations.

Winter

I've been here before
Hahahahahahaha

I Googled Ron Paul and Freemason and read some of the sites. I haven't gotten that good of a laugh in some time! Thanks for that!

What do these whack jobs do for work that they have this much time on their hands! LOL

AngelicHuman

Ah ha! thank you coach! I guess it is not important for me to know this about Dr. Paul.

I strongly believe in that man. If he gets elected into office, I will do whatever I can do within reason to support his views. I just hope he does as he says he will. unlike most recent presidents sadly enough

G

Gary

Perhaps the question you should be asking is if it okay for one Mason to out another Mason without his permission.
Exactly. And the answer is NO.

Lulz @ Winter. I love that response

What do you think of Ron Paul?
He is probably the most honest politician (if there is such a thing anymore) out there. He is misquoted often, and I'm not sure where I stand on all of his policies.

AngelicHuman

Exactly. And the answer is NO.

He is probably the most honest politician (if there is such a thing anymore) out there. He is misquoted often, and I'm not sure where I stand on all of his policies.
I understand Gary. Sometimes i ponder the same thing. After all the bull we put up with in life. Its only natural that it blinds us to what is real and what is not.

I think of it this way. No other presidential candidate or president before him has grabbed my attention the way he does. I must admit. the man inspires me. He makes me want to try harder at being a better person. I really really honestly cant say that another politician has made me feel that way. If he lets us down, then i probably wont be trusting any president for the remainder of my life lol

Winter

I've been here before
Lulz @ Winter. I love that response

What do you think of Ron Paul?
Honestly, I cannot support the Libertarians because of their stand on foreign policy and legalizing narcotics. But I do not want this thread to devolve into a political debate.

AngelicHuman

well. im not sure he is into legalizing narcotics, i wouldnt want a president legalizing cocaine or anything of the sort. Ive done my research. all that talk about him legalizing narcotics is just to discredit him. He wants to leave those choices up to the states, and i dont see a state all of a sudden making drugs legal. If they were legal, then you might as well make perscription meds legal too. then there wouldnt be a need for people to see doctors for meds. I highly doubt he wants it legal.

G

Gary

He is for legalizing and taxing marijuana. Big deal. His foreign policies are questionable. The jury is still out on my vote for him. That's just my opinion.

As far as him compared to the other candidates? I'm glad I'm Independent. Political parties are the scourge of our country. If there isn't a viable candidate, Mickey mouse will be my write in vote again.

Winter

I've been here before
Let us not devolve this thread into a political debate, Brothers. The question of whether a Mason can lie about his membership in the Order with a clear conscience is a valid question that should be debated.

My thoughts are that many members of this board will have their answer to this colored by living within a nation that has little to no backlash from membership except from the tin foil hat crowd. Consider the point of view from the standpoint in areas where Freemasonry is equated with Zionism.

G

Gary

Let us not devolve this thread into a political debate, Brothers. The question of whether a Mason can lie about his membership in the Order with a clear conscience is a valid question that should be debated.
Agreed. I have responded to the question, so I'll let others have the chance to do the same.