secrecy.

DNA

My problem is with joining I would be sworn to secrecy which I don't like secrets. And I know the fact that I can read and find out the answers to life without joining a brotherhood, yet I respect your gig.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Then Freemasonry isn't for you. You can read about the answers to life, but I find merely reading a shallow experience.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Should there be NO secrets?
When I was in the military, I had a Secret Clearance.
In my marriage, there are things I do not wish to discuss outside of it.
I will not give you my bank account number, bank routing number, or PIN.
In my work in medicine, I am sworn not to break patient confidences.

The only secrets in Masonry are the modes of recognition and the way we do our rituals.
As they are easily found by anyone intelligent enough to do a little research, they are kept secret by us in order that we may show we can keep our word.

The 'thing' is not the secrets, but that we do not violate our promise by revealing them to the uninitiated.

CoachN

Builder Builder
My problem is with joining I would be sworn to secrecy which I don't like secrets. And I know the fact that I can read and find out the answers to life without joining a brotherhood, yet I respect your gig.
If this is indeed true and you are a man of your word, then you would have no problem providing all the world with your SS#, mother's maiden name, account numbers and passwords to all your bank accounts.

When one thinks out what you claim, what you claim is not true.​
Masonic training provides insights that you are not likely to obtain through usual channels of learning. But don't tell anyone this. It's not a secret, it's merely a little known fact -- even within Masonic circles.

BTW - Their are no answers to life. Someone offered you bogus reading material.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Being a Mason is not about secrets, it is a different way to grow, mature, and walk life's path with men of similar values.

If you petition a Lodge and are accepted, your new journey begins behind a closed door and taking part in something older and bigger than you are.

CoachN

Builder Builder
So, are you saying that the membership fees are no longer an issue for you? What changed for you between Oct 2009 and now?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Whether DNA is sincere or not does not mean we should not be civil. The ball is in his hands.

TAZER357

Secrecy within Masonry imo, is sometimes misinterpreted. Imo, Freemasonry is more a Private organization than a Secret one. Our existence is public, many of our events are public and involve the general public. The only Secrets we have are the ways we recognize each other and how we bring in new members. Our Initiation ceremonies are Secret, however I cannot remember a single newly initiated member who felt "put off" by the obligatory secrecy after experiencing the ceremonies. Our level of secrecy is no higher than a business' secret operations. If you are really that concerned about it DNA, then I wouldn't recommend you petition. There are other organizations out there.