So Mote it be

G

Gary

How familiar the phrase is. No Lodge is ever opened or closed, in due form, without using it. Yet how few know how old it is, much less what a deep meaning it has in it. As far back as we can go in the annals of the Craft we find this old phrase. Its form betrays its age. The word MOTE is an Old English word with Indo-European roots meaning may, must, or might and is derived from an anomalous verb, MOTAN.

Chaucer uses the exact phrase in the same sense in which we use it, meaning "So May It Be." In context of the early Masonic expression "so mote it be", it implied both a wish for and a hope of realizing God's will.

Lines 654-55 of the Halliwell Manuscript (also known as the Regius Manuscript)—"A Poem of Moral Duties" for stonemasons, written around 1400 (more accurately 1320 A.D.) is the oldest document of the Craft —reads: "Grante me the blysse withoute ende; Amen! amen! so mot hyt be!", which translates as: "Grant me the bliss without end; Amen! Amen! so mote it be!" , just as we use it today.

The last lines, 793-94, read: "Amen! amen! so mot hyt be!; Say we so all per charyté", which translates as: "Amen! Amen! so mote it be! ; So say we all for charity."

The phrase was cited in James Anderson's "The Constitutions of the Free-Masons" (1723) as a quote from an unidentified mid-fifteenth century manuscript, also found "in another manuscript more ancient." (page 31, 1734 edition)
As everyone knows, it is the Masonic form of the ancient AMEN which echoes through the ages, gathering meaning and music as it goes until it is one of the richest and most haunting of words. At first only a sign of assent, on the part either of an individual or of an assembly, to words of prayer or praise, it has become to stand as a sentinel at the gateway of silence.
When we have uttered all that we can utter, and our poor words seem like ripples on the bosom of the unspoken, somehow this familiar phrase gathers up all that is left - our dumb yearnings, our deepest longings - and bears them aloft to One who understands. In some strange way it seems to speak for us into the very ear of God the things for which words were never made.

So, naturally, it has a place of honor among us. At the marriage Altar it speaks its blessing as young love walks toward the bliss or sorrow of hidden years. It stands beside the cradle when we dedicate our little ones to the Holy life, mingling its benediction with our vows. At the grave side it utters its sad response to the shadowy AMEN which death pronounces over our friends.
When, in our turn, we see the end of the road, and would make a last will and testament, leaving our earnings and savings to those whom we love, the old legal phrase asks us to repeat after it: "In The Name Of God, AMEN." And with us, as with Gerontius in his Dream, the last word we hear when the voices of earth grow faint and the silence of God covers us, is the old AMEN, So Mote It Be.
How impressively it echoes through the Volume of Sacred Law. We hear it in the Psalms, as chorus answers to chorus, where it is sometimes reduplicated for emphasis.
In the talks of Jesus with his friends it has a striking use, hidden in the English version. The oft-repeated phrase, "Verily, Verily I Say Unto You," if rightly translated means, AMEN, AMEN, I say unto you." Later, in the Epistles of Paul, the word AMEN becomes the name of Christ, who is the AMEN of God to the faith of man.
So, too, in the Lodge, at opening, at closing, and in the hour of initiation. No Mason ever enters upon any great or important undertaking without invoking the blessing of Deity. And he ends his prayer with the old phrase, "So Mote It Be." Which is another way of saying: "The Will Of God Be Done." Or, whatever be the answer of God to his prayer: "So Be It - because it is wise and right.
What, then, is the meaning of this old phrase, so interwoven with all our Masonic lore, simple, tender, haunting? It has two meanings for us everywhere, in the Church, or in the Lodge. First, it is assent of man to the way and Will Of God; assent to His Commands; assent to His Providence, even when a tender, terrible stroke of death takes from us one much loved and leaves us forlorn.
Still, somehow, we must say:" So it is; so be it. He is a wise man, a brave man; who, baffled by the woes of life, when disaster follows fast and follows faster, can nevertheless accept his lot as a part of the Will of God and say, though it may almost choke him to say it: "So Mote It Be." It is not blind submission, nor dumb resignation, but a wise reconciliation to the Will of the Eternal.
The other meaning of the phrase is even more wonderful; it is the assent of God to the aspiration of man. Man can bear so much - anything, perhaps - if he feels that God knows, cares and feels for him and with him. If God says Amen, So it is, to our faith and hope and love; it links our perplexed meanings, and helps us to see, however dimly, or in a glass darkly, that there is a wise and good purpose in life, despite its sorrow and suffering, and that we are not at the mercy of Fate or the whim of Chance.
The place of Prayer in Masonry is not perfunctory. It is not a mere matter of form and rote. It is vital and profound. As a man enters the Lodge as an initiate, prayer is offered for him, to God, in whom he puts his trust. Later, in a crisis of his initiation, he must pray for himself, orally or mentally as his heart may elect. It is not just a ceremony; it is basic in the faith and spirit of Masonry. Still later, in a scene which no Mason ever forgets, when the shadow is darkest, and the most precious thing a Mason can desire or seek seems lost, in the perplexity and despair of the Lodge, a prayer is offered. As recorded in our Monitors, it is a mosaic of Bible words, in which the grim facts of life and death are set forth in stark reality, and appeal is made to the pity and light of God.
Prayer is truly a great thing. In doing so, we place ourselves in the very hands of God as all must do in the end. Trusting His Will and way, following where no path is into the soft and fascinating darkness which men call death. And the response of the Lodge to that prayer, as to all others offered at its Altar, is the old, challenging phrase, "So Mote It Be!"

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Good article, here is the one that I found that I like:

This depends on the particular Tradition or religious group. "So mote it be" is near equivocable expression to the Judeo-Christian "Amen", though "So Mote It Be" doesn't mean "Amen." The phrase used by some Wiccans means "As I will it, so it shall be." Wheras the phrase as used in Freemasonry has a seperate conotation meaning one of two things "The will of God shall be done..." or "whatever the answer to one's prayer truly is, may it be done through the will of God." Although these definitions are distinct, they have similarities. In Wiccan theology, one's true will, and one's spiritual desires are directed by the Divine. To the Freemason, entering into the will of God will direct one to their true calling. The similarity is that of union with the divine, and the permenance of the "will." This phrase is also used by some Christians, Kabbalists, and percievably many other religious and spiritual affiliations.

Read more: [url]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_meaning_of_the_phrase_so_mote_it_be#ixzz1CreB1QPz[/URL]

G

Gary

I actually had more material to add to this paper, but I decided to limit to the research I used simply for brevity in the Lodge. I used this piece for Masonic education last night. I hope you all enjoy it.

I actually had a visiting Brother ask for a copy to share with his mother Lodge in Detroit. I could have added many more pages of material, but to what end? It wound up being a three page piece, and I only had so much time to speak, so there you have it. The purpose was to promote further contemplation. It apparently served that purpose because I had a large amount of Brothers asking for more...

And as a side note...the Regius Manuscript is highly debated as to it's original origin. It was re-written (assumed for preservation around 1400). The document is debated as 1320 or earlier.

Another worthy point is that Wicca wasn't officially recognized until the Alexandrian and Gardenerian traditions came into play. Many of their rituals are based on Freemasonry.

Yep....I can talk ad-nauseum about that too.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I actually had more material to add to this paper, but I decided to limit to the research I used simply for brevity in the Lodge.

... I could have added many more pages of material, but to what end? It wound up being a three page piece, and I only had so much time to speak, so there you have it. The purpose was to promote further contemplation. It apparently served that purpose because I had a large amount of Brothers asking for more... ...Yep....I can talk ad-nauseum about that too.
The Researcher/Presenter/Educator dilemma: Balancing it all to provide good/interesting information without overwhelming/loosing the audience.

Ya did good Brother Gary!

Duncan1574

The Researcher/Presenter/Educator dilemma: Balancing it all to provide good/interesting information without overwhelming/loosing the audience.

Ya did good Brother Gary!
I echo what Bro. John stated, Ya did good Gary!

G

Gary

Gosh!!!! :eek: Thanks!

My next paper will be about the Compasses, and then I'll do one on the Square.

I'm not sure how I want to approach it, as I'd much rather give a talk with notes than read an article to the Lodge.

Duncan1574

Gosh!!!! :eek: Thanks!

My next paper will be about the Compasses, and then I'll do one on the Square.

I'm not sure how I want to approach it, as I'd much rather give a talk with notes than read an article to the Lodge.
Write the article then put together notes from that.

G

Gary

I'm very familiar with how to write it, I was just trying to convey my dislike of reading something in the Lodge. I'd rather do it as a talk. It just seems less "scripted" that way. ;)

For the sake of time, I'll probably just develop an outline and make notes from that. I'll save the outline for a future article.

Duncan1574

I'm very familiar with how to write it, I was just trying to convey my dislike of reading something in the Lodge. I'd rather do it as a talk. It just seems less "scripted" that way. ;)

For the sake of time, I'll probably just develop an outline and make notes from that. I'll save the outline for a future article.
Have you tried working from just bullet points and free-wheeling the talk?

CoachN

Builder Builder
I use several methods depending upon how familiar I am with the material:
  1. Straight reading
  2. Bullet points - used to simply keep me on track with what I already know I'm going to talk about
  3. Outline - like bullet form but in expanded outline form showing all the subcategories for more mental jogging
  4. Talking points - like bullet points and outline but with a little more meat - Bolding the topic words/phrases with the meat words/phrase added in normal font just in case I forget specific phrases
  5. Mindmap - (I like this the best for some talks that I already have done many times) center topic point with expanded connections going outward in all directions that show the traveling path of the talk topics/subtopics in clockwise fashion. It allows me to be extremely flexible with groups that are interactive.
One of the best methods I like is breaking down the presentation into 30 to 90 second 'sound-bites." Each section becomes something that sounds like a quick "did you know" or "here's something interesting." Each can stand alone so you can add it or leave it out depending upon the response of your group to the last piece shared. Get each section down pat and simply string them together when you give your talk.

TrowelTalk

Bro. Gary, thank you.

I copied your research and saved it to use in the development of my own brief in-Lodge presentation. I too dislike reading to an audience, so will develop an outline of talking points and offer your work as a handout at the conclusion. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes - Nice, very nice.

G

Gary

I use several methods depending upon how familiar I am with the material:
  1. Straight reading
  2. Bullet points - used to simply keep me on track with what I already know I'm going to talk about
  3. Outline - like bullet form but in expanded outline form showing all the subcategories for more mental jogging
  4. Talking points - like bullet points and outline but with a little more meat - Bolding the topic words/phrases with the meat words/phrase added in normal font just in case I forget specific phrases
  5. Mindmap - (I like this the best for some talks that I already have done many times) center topic point with expanded connections going outward in all directions that show the traveling path of the talk topics/subtopics in clockwise fashion. It allows me to be extremely flexible with groups that are interactive.
One of the best methods I like is breaking down the presentation into 30 to 90 second 'sound-bites." Each section becomes something that sounds like a quick "did you know" or "here's something interesting." Each can stand alone so you can add it or leave it out depending upon the response of your group to the last piece shared. Get each section down pat and simply string them together when you give your talk.
Great advice Coach. Now, to find time to actually sit down and do it! I've got to have it done by the 15th. :(

I hate to read out loud.... most people sound like robots....knowing the material allows you to put some feeling into the topic....

CoachN

Builder Builder
Great advice Coach. Now, to find time to actually sit down and do it! I've got to have it done by the 15th. :(
Thanks Brother Gary.

Suggestion: Break your entire talk into an interconnected mindmap. If your talk is 10 minutes, then have about ten items that interconnect or flow together. Take each item in the map and ask yourself what you can say about that item in about 60 seconds. (If you have to make a mind map on that item to do this, then do it! It will help organize your thoughts.)

Once you get that item down in your head to about 60 seconds of smooth interesting talk on just that item, move on to the next one. By the time you get done, you will know your topic so well that you can string these items together as hoc and on the spot. The trick is to be able to talk well on any one of the inter-related items. That takes knowing the connections and being able to share them smoothly.

I've been using this technique successfully for years.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I hate to read out loud.... most people sound like robots....knowing the material allows you to put some feeling into the topic....
I do not mind reading out loud in lodge and I love delivering lectures from memory/conferring degrees . My problem is that I am not a "talker" or "speech maker" , take for example after I was installed as Master this past St. John's night . I gave no speech , I did not go on and on at what an Honor it was once again etc; etc ; , I thanked everyone , closed the lodge and went home , that's it .

Zack

I do not mind reading out loud in lodge and I love delivering lectures from memory/conferring degrees . My problem is that I am not a "talker" or "speech maker" , take for example after I was installed as Master this past St. John's night . I gave no speech , I did not go on and on at what an Honor it was once again etc; etc ; , I thanked everyone , closed the lodge and went home , that's it .
A man after my own heart.

TrowelTalk

I was at an installation last night where the new WM said (pleasantly) after receiving a presentation, "I can't think of anything to say, so I won't..." and proceeded back up to the East.

Short and sweet. :D