Suggestions?

MarkUSMC

I obtained a petitioned from my local lodge and filled it out. Now the problem that I have is I do not know of any Masons, so I do not have the required signature's to vouch for my character. My father was a in-active Mason who passed away 6 years ago and the brothers of the lodge who may of knew of my father more than likely have passed on also.

I contacted the Grand Lodge and he gave me the name of the Secretary of the lodge near my home. I contacted him and stated that I want to become a Mason and told him some background information about myself and my father. He sent me a petition and I filled it out.

I sent my petition back to him and he stated that my petition look good but I needed the required signature(s). I stated to him of the problem that I was having and he understood. He invited me to a dinner they were having at the lodge, but unfortunately I was unable to attend due to work. I called him and left a voice mail to let him and the lodge know that I was out of town for work and I would not be attending the dinner.

I have not received a call back from him. He also stated when I talked to him last, did the Mater contact me I had not hear from him. He stated that he was supposed to call to talk to me, but he as not and that was about a month ago.

I know that the holidays just passed and things tend to slow down so I understand. Should I call the Secretary and tell him that I am still interested in the Masonic Fraternity? I had told him that it would probably take time to get to know the men at the lodge before a member(s) would sign my petition and I was fine with that. i know that they meet on a Friday on or before the full moon. Should I go to the lodge when they have a meeting and request to speak to the Worshipful Master or keep in contact with the Secretary of the next stated dinner and go to the next one that the lodge has. Any suggestions at this point would be most helpful.

G

Gary

The wheels of Freemasonry turn exceptionally slow sometimes. I'd wait until after the holidays, and call the secretary of the local Lodge again.

Find out when they are having another event or dinner that you can attend. Once they get to know you a bit, you'll very likely get the signatures you need.

Keep in mind once you get the signatures and turn in your petition, you'll have to wait a month or so before you hear anything. This is routine, and should not cause you worry. They have to let the petition sit before they can vote on it.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I agree with Gary, it will take some time but remember this is for life. Masons generally meet only once a month so it can seem like a very long time when you are waiting. You should get in touch with the Lodge Secretary again to let him know you're still interested.

I'm sure it will all work out. The members of the Lodge are just as eager to meet you as you are to meet them.

Azpir8king

Depending on your location, and your willingness to commute, you should consider a look into other Lodges in the area BEFORE you turn in your final signed petition. In my case, A SLOW responding Lodge led me to look at other Lodges and I found a much better fit. Until you submit your petition with Both Masonic signatures, you have the option of looking at other lodges (at least in WI).

In New Zealand the process is exceptionally slow, even once you are initiated.

Between my first contact and my first meeting with anyone from the lodge I petitioned was 6-7months. I waited a further 6 months to meet with the enquiries board and then a further 6 months before initiation, one year after being initiated into Freemasonry I was raised to the sublime degree of MM (having been passed to FC 4 months after being initiated.)

Although it took a while I think it was worth it. I later found out that enquiries are done this way to weed out anyone who is petitioning for the wrong reasons...it was only after joining this forum that I found out that some Grand Lodges do "One Day" or "Weekend" events where a brother is initiated, passed and raised all at once...that has never happened here in NZ and I hope it never does.

There is a lot of learning that takes place right from the first phone call or email and to take that away from a perspective candidate, in my opinion is an insult to the candidate and the craft in general.

Winter

I've been here before
I'm with you there NZ.

I'm also somewhat concerned about a GL that just mails somebody a petition after talking on the phone. The process is designed to work slowly to allow the Brothers an opportunity to get to know the prospective candidate, and vice versa. This allows both sides to see if Masonry is a good choice for the individual.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I am not too concerned about a GL that mails a petition to an interested candidate. There are many GL and local lodge websites where an interested person can download an application. The process doesn't really start until the application is filled out, right? I mean the application itself isn't going to do anyone much good until two brothers are willing to sign the petition, and then the investigation committee, etc. gets rolling... and even then it's still going to take months.

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, but what kind of message does it send to just hand out a petition without meeting the person? And why even give them out without getting to know them?

I realize it's not such a big deal since you still have to get the signatures. But I have actually seen a Mason have another Brother pencil-whip the second sig without knowing the person.

You don't stand a snowball's chance in H... petitioning a lodge here in NZ without first meeting the membership liaison and then the investigation committee...I am not sure if it is necessarily a good way of doing it but I don't disagree with it...

thebrianmo

While I knew a handful of people in my Lodge here in OH when I petitioned, I still met with two Brothers who did not know me in an effort to get to know me and judge my desire and character. They signed my petition after it was submitted and after they had met with me.

I would contact the secretary of the Lodge again. Sometimes the process is slow.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'm with you there NZ.

I'm also somewhat concerned about a GL that just mails somebody a petition after talking on the phone. The process is designed to work slowly to allow the Brothers an opportunity to get to know the prospective candidate, and vice versa. This allows both sides to see if Masonry is a good choice for the individual.
Amen to that ! I am also against on-line petitions . This has nothing to do with you MarkUSMC , but if man can sit in his easy chair at home and fill out a petition without doing the foot work and expect to get three brothers to sign his petition without giving the lodge a chance to get to know him , then he is sadly mistaken .

Reason for edit , Fireman is correcting my poor grammar and typing in the dark .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yeah, but what kind of message does it send to just hand out a petition without meeting the person? And why even give them out without getting to know them?

I realize it's not such a big deal since you still have to get the signatures. But I have actually seen a Mason have another Brother pencil-whip the second sig without knowing the person.
Once again , we agree . Petition count I have handed out to men ? A total of ONE . I have had people whom I did not know ask for petitions , and I told them when and where we meet , I invited them to come out and sit with us , have some dinner , allow the lodge members and I to get to know them and they us and then I will give them a petition . So far , none have shown up . Just shows me how much they really wanted to be a Freemason .

Fireman , please check my grammar , LOL .

Once again , edit because of the grammar police .

G

Gary

Once again , we agree . Petition count I have handed out to men ? A total of ONE . I have had people whom I did not know ask for petitions , and I told them when and where we meet , I invited them to come out and set with us , have some dinner , allow the lodge members and I to get to know them and they us and then I will give them a petition . So far , none have showed up . Just shows me how much they really wanted to be a Freemason .

Fireman , please check my grammar , LOL .
Grammar- Use sit instead of set. The sun sets, we sit. Shown instead of showed. ;)

G

Gary

10 points extra credit awarded for having coffee this morning... :D:p:D