Those small differences.....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
between "Mainstream" and PHA . Sayings , traditions , actions etc; etc;

Being from an area who has no PHA Lodges within 125 miles from us , I have never came in contact with PHA Masons on a regular basis . With the exception of a couple of chance meetings when on vacation , the internet is the closest I will ever have a chance to get to know any .

Now we covered this tradition of "trying" men in public , so I am now looking for different things such as "Walking the Sword" and things of this nature . This is just out of curiosity and light .

I was reading on another forum a long time ago and PHA Brethren were chatting about going through the degrees , studying and progressing with their "cabletows" or saying things such as.... " I was talking with my cabletow the other day....." . I kept thinking to myself ," How does one study with a piece of rope !?" and "How in the world do you talk to rope !?" Then it hit me , they were talking about their brethren who were going through the degrees with them .

Though I find it odd that they call their fellow candidates "cabletows" instead of brothers , I also find it interesting . Though I do understand why , they are a class and if one brother is falling behind in his studies , they are holding the others back .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
between "Mainstream" and PHA . Sayings , traditions , actions etc; etc;

Being from an area who has no PHA Lodges within 125 miles from us , I have never came in contact with PHA Masons on a regular basis . With the exception of a couple of chance meetings when on vacation , the internet is the closest I will ever have a chance to get to know any .

Now we covered this tradition of "trying" men in public , so I am now looking for different things such as "Walking the Sword" and things of this nature . This is just out of curiosity and light .

I was reading on another forum a long time ago and PHA Brethren were chatting about going through the degrees , studying and progressing with their "cabletows" or saying things such as.... " I was talking with my cabletow the other day....." . I kept thinking to myself ," How does one study with a piece of rope !?" and "How in the world do you talk to rope !?" Then it hit me , they were talking about their brethren who were going through the degrees with them .

Though I find it odd that they call their fellow candidates "cabletows" instead of brothers , I also find it interesting . Though I do understand why , they are a class and if one brother is falling behind in his studies , they are holding the others back .
Maybe by using 'cabletow', they are using it in the sense of the 3rd further in the FC OB? Those brethren who are travelling the degree road together would be closer to each other than any other Brothers.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Maybe by using 'cabletow', they are using it in the sense of the 3rd further in the FC OB? Those brethren who are travelling the degree road together would be closer to each other than any other Brothers.
This is true and what I was alluding to in the last sentence .

I was selfish and refused to go through with others and opted to go through on my own so it would be special to me and me alone , but I guess they would develop a stronger bond .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am really interested in hearing about "Walking the Sword" . I have a general idea , but would like to hear about it in greater detail .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
From what I heard , there is little more to it than just the Tylers Oath . But I will take your word for it .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Walking the sword is the Tylers oath or that is what I found after a quick google search.
You take three steps back from the sword. You make the three regular steps of Freemasonry with the attendant DG&S for each. Once you reach the sword, pointed at your heart, you recite the TO.

No pressure there :D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You take three steps back from the sword. You make the three regular steps of Freemasonry with the attendant DG&S for each. Once you reach the sword, pointed at your heart, you recite the TO.

That is what I was looking for .

Duncan1574

When will I be told the TO? :confused: post-MM?
(It is so damn hard NOT to Google it!)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
(in NC, anyway) It would be pointless to learn the Tyler's Oath before the Master Masons Degree, as you cannot be examined as a Mason (in a Lodge strange to you) without a paid dues card...
You may be vouched into an appropriate degree by a Brother who has stood in Lodge with you, but to be examined personally for admission must wait.

S&F

Duncan1574

(in NC, anyway) It would be pointless to learn the Tyler's Oath before the Master Masons Degree, as you cannot be examined as a Mason (in a Lodge strange to you) without a paid dues card...
You may be vouched into an appropriate degree by a Brother who has stood in Lodge with you, but to be examined personally for admission must wait.

S&F
My raising is scheduled for 2/21 :)

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Russ, you will not be taught the TO: it does not exist in Wisconsin Freemasonry. The TO is part of the visitation procedure in most jurisdictions, but here, all you need to visit is a valid (and current) dues card from a Lodge that we are in amity with.

Duncan1574

Russ, you will not be taught the TO: it does not exist in Wisconsin Freemasonry. The TO is part of the visitation procedure in most jurisdictions, but here, all you need to visit is a valid (and current) dues card from a Lodge that we are in amity with.
Thanks Patrick. I will then have to get a copy of the TO for my archives. :eek:
(Some of us are joiners, some of us are collectors ;) )

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Thanks Patrick. I will then have to get a copy of the TO for my archives. :eek:
(Some of us are joiners, some of us are collectors ;) )
AFTER you've had your MM, brother, if you are interested, I will teach it to you. It is of use to know, in case you visit in a jurisdiction that requires it. Of course, I have visited several jurisdictions that require it, and, without exception, the brethren are blown away that I know it.

Duncan1574

AFTER you've had your MM, brother, if you are interested, I will teach it to you. It is of use to know, in case you visit in a jurisdiction that requires it. Of course, I have visited several jurisdictions that require it, and, without exception, the brethren are blown away that I know it.
I am interested! Thank you for being a true (& lawful) Brother..

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It will not take you but a minute or two to have the Tyler's Oath put to memory .

We have several different ways to try visitors and we very seldom use the Tyler's Oath , though it is used in my jurisdiction . Most often a Dues card and a few questions , since the Tyler's Oath can be found in one form or another on the internet .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
You've got to be careful about Dues Cards, too!
There's a story going around NC that two men presented to a lodge with current Dues Cards asking to visit, but seemed awkward when spoken to in conversation. We (in NC) typically ask some questions in examining a new visitor, and these guys knew nothing of any degree or ritual.
They finally admitted downloading and printing out the dues cards, from a site on the internet.

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You've got to be careful about Dues Cards, too!
There's a story going around NC that two men presented to a lodge with current Dues Cards asking to visit, but seemed awkward when spoken to in conversation. We (in NC) typically ask some questions in examining a new visitor, and these guys knew nothing of any degree or ritual.
They finally admitted downloading and printing out the dues cards, from a site on the internet.

S&F
Same thing happened a few years ago here in Ky . Two young men found dues cards which had been scanned and put on the internet and printed them off .