Those small differences.....

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Having been Lodge Secretary, Brother, allow me to say that it really isn't 'low impact'. All dues are due at the same time of year, and when you have a couple hundred dues cards to process & get out ... well, it's extra work for an already time-consuming job.

Hey! No cracks about my superannuity here, brother.
More like hyperannuity! :eek::D
Besides, it would not be a great an effort if a few brothers stepped up to help the secretary.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In my continuing efforts to make Bob's head explode ;) , let's talk about this one: what is the policy in your jurisdiction regarding putting dues cards under the seal of the Lodge? When I first joined up (in Alaska as previously stated) just about everything was issued under the seal of the Lodge. In fact, even the Monitor had a patent in the front with your name and degree info under the seal of the Lodge. Texas and Wisconsin do not, necessarily, put their dues cards under the seal. The Grand Secretary of Wisconsin once told me that it was unnecessary, but at Grand Lodge I have been questioned about the fact that my dues card is not under the seal of my Lodge. To my knowledge, there is nothing in the Wisconsin Masonic Code that speaks to the issue either way. So ... how's it done in your jurisdiction?
Having been Lodge Secretary, Brother, allow me to say that it really isn't 'low impact'. All dues are due at the same time of year, and when you have a couple hundred dues cards to process & get out ... well, it's extra work for an already time-consuming job.
(snip)
Ditto, ditto! Having just turned over the Secretary job, when the dues checks come in, it gets pretty busy.
1. open envelope
2. check dues amount
3. look for charity addition
4. enter payment in online system
5. (enter payment in local system for safety backup)
6. find dues card in stack
7. stamp "past master" if appropriate
8. date & sign card as secretary
9. imprint seal over my signature
10. pull up member data online to print envelope
11. stuff envelope
12. apply stamp
13. mail
14. repeat 189 times.

Once the card has the seal imprint, you can feel it, but it would be easy to fake a seal. They can be ordered online from several companies; I've even been looking at a seal to imprint my books permanently to try to keep them from wandering off. A personal library seal with the S&C is available and it would take VERY close examination of a card, what with all the print and writing on the card obscuring the seal, to verify that it appears to be an official lodge seal.
The best way to confirm that a visitor is a Mason is to talk to him!
Having said that, I was fortunate to have been admitted to my (now) lodge though remembering very little of the ritual, but having a current dues card.

S&F