To the East

Sooooo......... I am not crazy to think once we have been through the degrees.... we should STILL gather as Brothers and learn ritual....or any other educational material...

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
"Practice?, ......practice?, we don't need no stinkin' practice":eek::D:D OOPS.... we aren't talking basketball are we????

Winter

I've been here before
Sooooo......... I am not crazy to think once we have been through the degrees.... we should STILL gather as Brothers and learn ritual....or any other educational material...
Maybe you're just crazy enough! lol

Once you go through the degree, you should absolutely continue studying the rituals. In Lodge, at home, with Brothers. Wherever & whenever you can.

Maybe you're just crazy enough! lol

Once you go through the degree, you should absolutely continue studying the rituals. In Lodge, at home, with Brothers. Wherever & whenever you can.
Luckily we have a cipher book.....and while we dont get into ritual work, the Brotherhood on the net here is awesome!!!

edwmax

What do the Brothers do that have no written ritual..... makes learning the chairs on your own a bit tougher....
What you have a Cipher to read!!?? ... I don't and didn't ... That is why I recommend repeating (silently) all parts until you can do by yourself complete. ... Normally, a Member would learn the next chair above him and then move up. But, mdonahue66 was jumped to the JW chair. The JW needs to be able to fill the SW or WM chair on a moments notice.

OH, mdonahue66, I miss read your first post. i though you were in the JW chair, but I see you have already move up to the SW chair. So by now you should be able to fill in for the WM if needed and know how to open & close the Lodge.

Fireman99, contact your Grand Secretary's office and inquire about an Officer's Workbook or education material (what ever called) describing the duties of each Lodge Officer. If your GL does not have this I can send a pdf copy of my GL. There are some online from other GLs and I believe Claudy wrote one. These may not be exact for you GL, but will be close.

What you have a Cipher to read!!?? ... I don't and didn't ... That is why I recommend repeating (silently) all parts until you can do by yourself complete. ... Normally, a Member would learn the next chair above him and then move up. But, mdonahue66 was jumped to the JW chair. The JW needs to be able to fill the SW or WM chair on a moments notice.

OH, mdonahue66, I miss read your first post. i though you were in the JW chair, but I see you have already move up to the SW chair. So by now you should be able to fill in for the WM if needed and know how to open & close the Lodge.

Fireman99, contact your Grand Secretary's office and inquire about an Officer's Workbook or education material (what ever called) describing the duties of each Lodge Officer. If your GL does not have this I can send a pdf copy of my GL. There are some online from other GLs and I believe Claudy wrote one. These may not be exact for you GL, but will be close.
Without looking I think our GL has a "Blue book" with the rules and regs but I havent seen any requirements except that the WM must have served as a warden before he can be elected WM.....if there is any educational material, its not well known.....everyone I know learns it from the cipher book....or OTJ...I would for my own knowledge like to have the educational material.

edwmax

Without looking I think our GL has a "Blue book" with the rules and regs but I havent seen any requirements except that the WM must have served as a warden before he can be elected WM.....if there is any educational material, its not well known.....everyone I know learns it from the cipher book....or OTJ...I would for my own knowledge like to have the educational material.
I think you are confusing Ritual (cipher) and GL Code with the Officers Workbook. The Workbook explains the full extent of each Officer's duties and responsibilities in and about the Lodge. For instants: which Officer is responsible to the see the Lodge room is setup and ready for use? ... Which Officers are responsible to see the Preparation Room is clean and presentable for a Candidate? ... Stewarts are charged to assist the JW with the duties of his Office; does this mean they cook the meal, wash the dishes or over see the preparation? ... Stewarts by name are just waiters. .... The JW, not only does he oversee and provide refreshments for the Lodge, but he is also leads an investigating committee for charges against a Member; write and present the Charges for Lodge vote; and prosecute the Member at trial. The JW's job is no small task if he is called upon to fulfill his duties.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
What you have a Cipher to read!!?? ... I don't and didn't ...
Ciphers can be obtained, but it is far from simple. My copy required some significant wrangling to get from the Secretary, and that was mostly because I was mentoring a candidate. I've a clandestine cipher, but it's imperfect.

edwmax

Ciphers can be obtained, but it is far from simple. My copy required some significant wrangling to get from the Secretary, and that was mostly because I was mentoring a candidate. I've a clandestine cipher, but it's imperfect.
Not in Georgia! There are only 12 authorized copies of the Georgia ritual Cipher in the hands of District Custodians. And, these can not be used in open Lodge, only in Schools of Instruction.

Not in Georgia! There are only 12 authorized copies of the Georgia ritual Cipher in the hands of District Custodians. And, these can not be used in open Lodge, only in Schools of Instruction.
Our ritual Cipher is available for purchase from the Grand Lodge for $10. We give one to each new brother upon obtaining the 3rd degree. But they are not designed to be used in lodge, only as a study aid. We do allow brothers not participating in ritual at a time to follow along in their book while sitting in lodge, and that helps many with the learning process.

Winter

I've been here before
Our multiple letter cipher for WI is also readily available from GL. (I think ours is $10 as well) but it is the law of the GL that no cipher is to be present in an open Lodge. No excuses. They are for education and practice only.

For my Emulation Lodge, the ritual is available from any merchant that provides items to UK Lodge. And we don't use cipher outside of a few words. (You know what they are!)

Masonic Regalia & Accessories - Emulation Ritual (Pocket Edition)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
When everyone is saying ritual ciphers , do you mean every word of every degree is in cipher , such as the Staircase Lecture ?

G

Gary

When everyone is saying ritual ciphers , do you mean every word of every degree is in cipher , such as the Staircase Lecture ?
In some jurisdictions the lectures are in plain text except for certain passages. The ritual and catechisms are in cypher.

In MN, yes, including opening and closing, all three degrees, call from labor to refreshment and back, all lectures, and proficiency exams.

Winter

I've been here before
The Wisconsin Multiple Letter Cipher has all degrees, opening and closing, lectures, calling up and down, installation, pretty much everything but the ceremony of the Table Lodge. Most of the rituals are ciphered with multiple letters except for the Ob. which is single letter. Lectures are mostly spelled out with some words and phrases ciphered.

My Emulation ritual book has every word of all 4 degrees and is completely written out with the exception of a few of the words that come into play for the modes of recognition.

The Wisconsin Multiple Letter Cipher has all degrees, opening and closing, lectures, calling up and down, installation, pretty much everything but the ceremony of the Table Lodge. Most of the rituals are ciphered with multiple letters except for the Ob. which is single letter. Lectures are mostly spelled out with some words and phrases ciphered.

My Emulation ritual book has every word of all 4 degrees and is completely written out with the exception of a few of the words that come into play for the modes of recognition.
And might I add, a very interesting read too..... just a bit different from the ritual here.

edwmax

Ritual Ciphers are normally the 1st section of a degree. Lectures of the 2nd section, ie. 'working tools', 'staircase', 'Northeast Corner', 'Charges' are wrote out in full in the Monitor; ...At least in my jurisdiction they are. Therefore, I don't consider info in the Lectures as being Masonic secrets.

Winter

I've been here before
In Wisconsin, the only thing actually considered absolutely Secret are the modes of recognition. The ritual themselves are also not discussed outside the Order.

DavisB

In some jurisdictions the lectures are in plain text except for certain passages. The ritual and catechisms are in cypher.
We have no catechisms, either in cypher or not. Most of the lectures are pretty close to plain text. Or I know the EA slides are.