too much to take in...

AngelicHuman

Knowing all these names, and numbers of lodges, appended bodies, YR, SR, ect...

Its enough to drive a man INSANE i tell you.

why not just unite and call is one simple name..lol?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Knowing all these names, and numbers of lodges, appended bodies, YR, SR, ect...

Its enough to drive a man INSANE i tell you.

why not just unite and call is one simple name..lol?
That reason is revealed by doing the FC Work. No joke intended.

AngelicHuman

i know, but i mean all of the different kinds of lodges. The names ya know, i can only imagine everything that im going to have to remember on my journey to becoming a full member

My Friend....forget about all those other Bodies in the Masonic world...you must take your steps into the Lodge before you can go anywhere else.....you are getting the cart before the horse.....
Go meet some of the Masons from your local lodge and start there....dont worry about any of the SR,YR etc....that is not even on the radar right now.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
My Friend....forget about all those other Bodies in the Masonic world...you must take your steps into the Lodge before you can go anywhere else.....you are getting the cart before the horse.....
Go meet some of the Masons from your local lodge and start there....dont worry about any of the SR,YR etc....that is not even on the radar right now.
Good points for our friend.

Another analogy would be that a Kindergartener doesn't have to worry about locker combinations, gym class clothes, and how many credits for graduation.

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
i know, but i mean all of the different kinds of lodges. The names ya know, i can only imagine everything that im going to have to remember on my journey to becoming a full member
Most people who have been around Masonry for a while will advise you to just be a Mason for at least a year before you even think about any appendant bodies.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Most people who have been around Masonry for a while will advise you to just be a Mason for at least a year before you even think about any appendant bodies.
...and some brothers think you should fill out the application to one during the Master Masons Degree Lecture!

:mad:

S&F

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
...and some brothers think you should fill out the application to one during the Master Masons Degree Lecture!

:mad:

S&F
"Now, let me show you where the applications are for some of our other bodies... over here on the desk... now there's no pressure..." :confused:

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
To eliminate so of your angst, a "Full member" of Freemasonry is a Master Mason, a Brother in a local Lodge, then he may choose to join one or more of the other Freemason groups, York Rite, Scottish Rite, Knights Templar, Shriners.

But first you have to join that local Lodge, work through the work of EA, FC, and then MM.

I am a FC, I started in October of 2010, I have no ambitions for any of the other groups, I have far too much to do in my local Lodge to be concerned with anything else.

AngelicHuman

I see now, and yes, that is great advice. Being a Mason for a year at least before furthering my education into the other bodies. Id think it would be more like 5 years, would if i fall in love with my lodge..lol

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I see now, and yes, that is great advice. Being a Mason for a year at least before furthering my education into the other bodies. Id think it would be more like 5 years, would if i fall in love with my lodge..lol
When do you plan to take that first step?

AngelicHuman

I have to get alot of stuff out of the way first, Im currently going to school right now during the day, and in an extremely long distant relation ship with my future wife in europe. Im also looking for part time work as well, and with that..all my time will be taken up. I want to make sure i have good time to put into my lodge when i join. I also would at least like to meet my local masons and get to know them a bit before i petition. This is all new to me ya know, but at least ive discovered Masonry by myself.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have to get alot of stuff out of the way first, Im currently going to school right now during the day, and in an extremely long distant relation ship with my future wife in europe. Im also looking for part time work as well, and with that..all my time will be taken up. I want to make sure i have good time to put into my lodge when i join. I also would at least like to meet my local masons and get to know them a bit before i petition. This is all new to me ya know, but at least ive discovered Masonry by myself.
I understand your situation, take it easy, go meet the men at your local lodge, you can and should approach Freemasonry as a lifetime adventure, a steady walk not a sprint, you could get married in the Lodge (if they rent the space out), breath.

Laxguy38922

You may not want to petition now but I would suggest at least stopping by and tell them you plan to and meet brothers as you will need recommenders when you decide to petition

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
You may not want to petition now but I would suggest at least stopping by and tell them you plan to and meet brothers as you will need recommenders when you decide to petition
I couldn't agree more. You can't become a Mason on the internet. If that's what you want even if it's a while away, get the ball rolling and you will have an easier time of it over all. If nothing else, find out when the Lodge will be doing degree work. That takes a minimum of three months.

Before you can even start your first degree, you need to submit your petition. It will be read at the next Lodge meeting. This can take another month if your timing is bad. Then, the investigative committee has to do its work and the Master Masons in the Lodge need to vote on the petition if a favorable report is returned by the committee, another month. If there are holidays or the lodge goes dark or you submit your petition after the degree cycle in the lodge has started during any portion of this process as is often the case, you can add up to another three months to the process. So, in the worst case it can take five months from the time you submit your petition to the time you start your first degree. Then three months minimum for the three degrees if you put in the effort.

Millions of men have done this before you. There are men I know of who take years to become a Master Mason. If you don't want it to take that long, take our advice and get started now. The worst that will happen is you will make some new friends.

AngelicHuman

oh boy, that is some serious advice to take into consideration.

Im going to sweden march 17th - april 25th. Ill most def meet my local masons before then and let them know my interest in partitioning. This way while im gone, some waiting time will get out of the way.

AngelicHuman

oops..Correction.

Partitioning = Petitioning

Im sure my local masons will find me rather strange if i wanted to partition there lodge LOL

AngelicHuman

oh wait, i must ask.

How does petitioning work? Im sure there is an oral interview, but what else should i prepare myself for the petition?