too much to take in...

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
oh wait, i must ask.

How does petitioning work? Im sure there is an oral interview, but what else should i prepare myself for the petition?
Now, different Grand Lodges will have varying procedures, but here (NC) several rather intrusive questions must be answered on the petition, such as name, parents' names, birthplace, address, employment, type of military discharge (if any), criminal record. Two Masons must sign, one a member of the Lodge petitioned, and then 5 other references.
After the petition is submitted with the initiation fee, it is read in Lodge, a Committee of Investigation is appointed, and the original of the form is sent to the Grand Secretary, who commissions a criminal background check. [We do the criminal background check openly, as a lodge member police officer would today commit a felony to unofficially check this]. The Committee of Investigation delves as deeply as they feel needed and report back after the required 1 month lay-over period.
The petition is read again and the Lodge votes.

AngelicHuman

fee? money is really tight. and about the member signing for me, and the 5 other references. How am i suppose to get 5 references? this seems harder than i thought.

I understand criminal history, but employment history doesnt make sense to me.

I was arrested once 12 years ago when i was pulled over, and the passenger had a small personal bag of marijuana. They arrested both of us, and i got 6 months probation, i was also tested and came clean because i never smoked that stuff at the time..it was the passengers, but i still got burned for it. to be honest, i was told by the probation officer that i should of never been arrested for it because i was unaware he had it on him, and also the officer didnt follow proper procedures. I was young and didnt know how to properly defend myself being charged, but that was it. Ive been a good citizen other than that one time besides a couple of traffic fines.

Will that affect my petition?

Laxguy38922

fee? money is really tight. and about the member signing for me, and the 5 other references. How am i suppose to get 5 references? this seems harder than i thought.

I understand criminal history, but employment history doesnt make sense to me.

I was arrested once 12 years ago when i was pulled over, and the passenger had a small personal bag of marijuana. They arrested both of us, and i got 6 months probation, i was also tested and came clean because i never smoked that stuff at the time..it was the passengers, but i still got burned for it. to be honest, i was told by the probation officer that i should of never been arrested for it because i was unaware he had it on him, and also the officer didnt follow proper procedures. I was young and didnt know how to properly defend myself being charged, but that was it. Ive been a good citizen other than that one time besides a couple of traffic fines.

Will that affect my petition?
Explain this to them, it shouldn't. We all make mistakes, as long as you learned from it and are a better person nowadays. Also, don't worry about the fee. Most lodges will work with you if money is tight and some there fee is very small. My lodge just ask for alittle at a time if you can't put it up front.

A lodge is more concerned with bringing in a good man then money.

AngelicHuman

OK, thank you! Im a very good person. I dont like to boast about myself at all, but Im a great person, and i do the best I can every day to make others including myself feel positive around others. This might seem easy to a mason, but if you actually knew what ive seen, and been through in my life, as well as my current financial situation, it would amaze you how I can stay so positive. I have seen people pf great financial status with wonderful children stay so negative all the time.

Laxguy38922

We can see you are very interested in masonry so I encourage you to continue on your masonic journey.Masonry teaches that it is the essential qualities of men that are important not money or valuables. Also, from the lodge you said was near you I saw it was in NJ. If it is in southern NJ then I may be able to help you meet some fellow masons.

oh boy, that is some serious advice to take into consideration.

Im going to sweden march 17th - april 25th. Ill most def meet my local masons before then and let them know my interest in partitioning. This way while im gone, some waiting time will get out of the way.
My friend.... I am not meaning to make assumptions and I hope you can see mine...if not others too, concern as to your legit reasons for your questioning.....the part I put in bold from your quote makes me wonder....in one sentence, you say you are struggling financially but then you turn around and say you are going to Sweden......I am pretty sure that going to Sweden is a fairly pricey trip...... please do forgive me if I have missed a part of the equation....

Laxguy38922

My guess would be that is where his fiance is right now. He said she was over in europe right now.

My friend.... I am not meaning to make assumptions and I hope you can see mine...if not others too, concern as to your legit reasons for your questioning.....the part I put in bold from your quote makes me wonder....in one sentence, you say you are struggling financially but then you turn around and say you are going to Sweden......I am pretty sure that going to Sweden is a fairly pricey trip...... please do forgive me if I have missed a part of the equation....

AngelicHuman

you are most certainly forgiven. You have every right to question.

My wonderful woman makes good enough money to help support the trip, we are equal and split everything. Its actually pretty cheap. About $450 round trip. We find good deals, and while im there I can do some work for her father at his store, we get along well, and her mother also helps out.

and laxguy nailed it on the spot. All of my money goes to our relationship, and gas to get me to school and back..lol Im happy for what i have though, people would give up millions to have what i have. I can't complain. Its so hard to find an honest, loyal woman in today's America. Values have been lost.

pdh825

Master Mason
oh wait, i must ask.

How does petitioning work? Im sure there is an oral interview, but what else should i prepare myself for the petition?
The best way to answer this is to say that if you are asking for a petition, you are already as prepared for that process as you need to be.

As for the process, it is rather simple. You ask a member for a petition, you fill it out and give it back to that person. It is read in open lodge and a committee is appointed to interview you. The committee is there to tell you about the lodge and to find out about you. The investigating committee then reports back to the lodge and the lodge votes on you. Once accepted, you are contacted, usually by the secretary in the form of a letter (may be called a summons) and informed of what the next step is. For the first degree, all you need to so is show up. During the degree you will be required to speak, but you do not need to prepare anything. When I went through, the Brother who was our mentor said simply that you will know what to say and when to say it. It is that obvious. Pay attention to everything that is said and what takes place, after you go through it, you will understand why I say that. At the conclusion of the degree, you will be told what you need to do to advance to the next degree. In my lodge here in NY, it relates to what I said about paying attention during the degree.

AngelicHuman

We can see you are very interested in masonry so I encourage you to continue on your masonic journey.Masonry teaches that it is the essential qualities of men that are important not money or valuables. Also, from the lodge you said was near you I saw it was in NJ. If it is in southern NJ then I may be able to help you meet some fellow masons.
well i live in Northern NJ if that helps. lol, and thank you PDH, and everyone else.

I really really appreciate all of you having patience with my questions. I will look forward to the day I come back to these forums and say i was accepted