Uniforms or Dress Code

lancaster505

In Pennsylvania we require all members to wear a jacket & tie. The lodge provies aprons for the members to wear.

Officers wear tuxedos with tails and white gloves, aprons & collars that depict their station or office. The master of the lodge wears a top hat.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Officers in our lodge are pretty much the same as lancaster505's. Dress for members is casual. A lodge nearby requires a cumber bunto be worn. One of the members in my lodge said his original lodge in Texas, they wore cowboy hats. Each lodge has its own custom.

SageMother

Do you think that the dress code adds anything to the lodge meetings?
Dress codes tend to set the tone for an event or function by reminding the participants that they have stepped out of their regular world and need to alter their behavior accordingly.

I don' t know if that is the conscious intent in all situations though.

Michaelh_2006

I would have to agree.It makes one remember they are a member of something with a long and proud history.But that could be the soldier in me.

I think for the run of the mill monthly stated communication....no big events....biz casual ( dockers and a nice shirt...polo or button up) is fine...voting to pay bills and such is not that big of a deal. Degree work....I say suit...even though I do not own one (that fits...but thats a different story).....I am going to start wearing one in 2011 for degrees...going to K&G or Mens Wearhouse next week....

As far as uniforms would go..... I would be all in for navy pants, navy t-shirts,navy button up and black polished boots.....I already have that covered very well.......

Bro.G.McNeill

My lodge requires pants, ( no shorts), Shirt, ( no undergarment), Shoes ( No flip flops), and socks. Most members in my lodge wear jeans and a button down shirt. We also provide cloth aprons. Most PM's have their own apron that they wear.

thebrianmo

Do the masons have a uniform or robe they wear when they attend their meetings or is it informal?
At our Lodge here in OH Brothers wear various types of clothing, however it is preferred that a jacket and tie is worn to Lodge which I do, but some come in jeans and sweatshirt. The Lodge of course provides the basic apron and Brothers who serve specific stations wear the proper elements for that work.

Bropreston

At our Lodge here in OH Brothers wear various types of clothing, however it is preferred that a jacket and tie is worn to Lodge which I do, but some come in jeans and sweatshirt. The Lodge of course provides the basic apron and Brothers who serve specific stations wear the proper elements for that work.
Heck things are different over there! If anyone turned up without black suit on over here there would be hell to pay... it`s very interesting to see the posts on here and compare differences S&F Bropreston

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Heck things are different over there! If anyone turned up without black suit on over here there would be hell to pay... it`s very interesting to see the posts on here and compare differences S&F Bropreston
I am curious , define "hell to pay" .

Bropreston

We would not be allowed into the meeting at all and I`m sure some of the PMs would have serious words. Dress code would be dark suit and approved tie. At an instalation diner suit and the grand officers tend to wear morning suits.....

Dinner suit....morning suit.....HECK...just as long as they are not in their birthday suit...I would be glad they are just there....

Does the clothing make the man....NO... do they look respectful...YEP...but remember, at the local Gentlemen"s Club, the door man wears a suit too....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We would not be allowed into the meeting at all and I`m sure some of the PMs would have serious words. Dress code would be dark suit and approved tie. At an instalation diner suit and the grand officers tend to wear morning suits.....
Ah , ok thanks .

Bropreston

Dinner suit....morning suit.....HECK...just as long as they are not in their birthday suit...I would be glad they are just there....

Does the clothing make the man....NO... do they look respectful...YEP...but remember, at the local Gentlemen"s Club, the door man wears a suit too....
LOL!!! it`s the differences that make my visits on here interesting.... To me it would seem very strange to go to a meeting without my suit on or to not have a meal, toasts etc afterwards, I suppose our rituals/signs would seem strange to you and vise versa, we are all doing our own variations on the same wonderful theme..... S&F Matthew