What is your opinion of felons in Freemasonry?

G

Gary

Beacon of Masonic Light: Is Masonry Elitist?

Let the public believe what they will. I think our forays into the domain of public perception and advertisement are just as detrimental. If we engage in Masonry correctly, we will continue to only attract the best, not the curious. Elitism with just criteria is not a bad thing.
You bring up a good point. Freemasonry was never intended to be a "club" for the masses. It's selective by design. We have strayed considerably from that. Which would explain many of the issues we face today as a fraternity.

Check out "This Week: The Dilemmas of Freemasonry" on WEOFM.
Worldwide Exemplification of Freemasonry

edwmax

I understand where it is coming from, and the term elitist can have such a negative connotation. But at the same time, I honestly believe that Freemasonry makes me a better person. That I have accepted the responsibility for my Brother, my fellow man, and society as a Freemason. I maintain high standards and expect the same from my Brothers. I want to maintain the standard of our Fraternity at the elite level. And I believe that we should guard the West Gate more diligently and turn away a questionable petitioner. No matter how you slice it, we should be more elitist.
Basically i agree with you. The point of the quote was, it is not wrong to be Elite organization, or to keep raising the standards of the organization. Most of us believe ourselves to be better than most non-masons; may be even some Brothers. But to be Elitist and show others you believe yourself to be better than them is not good. ... The opinion of non-masons really doesn't matter, let them form their own opinion from our actions; and not from 'I'm better than you' attitude.

Winter

I've been here before
You bring up a good point. Freemasonry was never intended to be a "club" for the masses. It's selective by design. We have strayed considerably from that. Which would explain many of the issues we face today as a fraternity.

Check out "This Week: The Dilemmas of Freemasonry" on WEOFM.
Worldwide Exemplification of Freemasonry
That was an excellent listen. Bro. Bob makes some excellent points. The apathy and indifference is a serious issue. We make men Masons, but never teach them the history of the Order and what it he is actually supposed to do. A system of education must be built into the process if we are to close the gap between potential and practice in Masonry. He Maje's an excellent statement near the end where he asks how many men parrot the words of the ritual but ignore any true learning and call themselves Masons.

G

Gary

I thought you'd like it. It also drives home the point of "raising the bar" to what previous expectations were within the fraternity. It has a similar theme to what is being discussed here with "elitism".

I submit that the problem isn't external but rather internal.

Just my 2 cents (or sheckels as you would say ;) ).

Winter

I've been here before
Just my 2 cents (or sheckels as you would say ;) ).
One US Dollar is worth about 3.41 Israeli New Shekels today. This is the equivelant of 341 agorot. So your two cents is actually worth about seven agorot. (6.82 actualy) Two shekels are worth almost 60 cents and I know your oppinion isn't worth that much! LOL

G

Gary

One US Dollar is worth about 3.41 Israeli New Shekels today. This is the equivelant of 341 agorot. So your two cents is actually worth about seven agorot. (6.82 actualy) Two shekels are worth almost 60 cents and I know your oppinion isn't worth that much! LOL

Ooh....I'm gonna remember that crack buddy! LOL :p

I can buy the dictionary definition of "Elite"....but not call Masonry Elitism.....My reason for that is "elitism" implies that we are the best of the best....without faults and errors... I personally can not consider it myself elite because I have not perfected my ashlar there for, I am not the best of the best......Masonry to me has been explain as : Taking GOOD me and making them Better...... the general connotation of elite is not "good".... in high school, I was good at sports but not an elite athlete....IF we are an "Elitist" group, I will have to say the fraternity as a whole has failed.....I know of no Brother that is to the level he can not still improve. NOW, if you want to say we "strive" to be Elite by constantly working on making ourselves better, I can get on board with a full cup of Kool-Aid.

When we describe ourselves as elitist, it implies we are already at the top of our "game"....but from my understanding of what masonry is teaching, we have not reached that goal yet.....

BUT what do I know........ I am just a single man working daily to perfect my ashlar..... one little chip at a time....

G

Gary

I can buy the dictionary definition of "Elite"....but not call Masonry Elitism.....My reason for that is "elitism" implies that we are the best of the best....without faults and errors... I personally can not consider it myself elite because I have not perfected my ashlar there for, I am not the best of the best......Masonry to me has been explain as : Taking GOOD me and making them Better...... the general connotation of elite is not "good".... in high school, I was good at sports but not an elite athlete....IF we are an "Elitist" group, I will have to say the fraternity as a whole has failed.....I know of no Brother that is to the level he can not still improve. NOW, if you want to say we "strive" to be Elite by constantly working on making ourselves better, I can get on board with a full cup of Kool-Aid.

When we describe ourselves as elitist, it implies we are already at the top of our "game"....but from my understanding of what masonry is teaching, we have not reached that goal yet.....

BUT what do I know........ I am just a single man working daily to perfect my ashlar..... one little chip at a time....
To make a point of reference... Name one "elite" group without flaw, or that has never made a mistake. They strive for perfection by honing their craft. That is exactly what our fraternity did at one time, and should be doing today. I believe that is the point that Winter was trying to make. Your statement in your last post that I've highlighted is on target IMHO. by striving for elitism, you achieve much higher standards than the norm.

To make a point of reference... Name one "elite" group without flaw, or that has never made a mistake. They strive for perfection by honing their craft. That is exactly what our fraternity did at one time, and should be doing today. I believe that is the point that Winter was trying to make. Your statement in your last post that I've highlighted is on target IMHO. by striving for elitism, you achieve much higher standards than the norm.
I cant..... neither can anyone else....that is exactly why I dont feel we should call ourselves Elitist.......it is our GOAL.... but none have made it there.... we are constantly striving for it but it is just out of our reach....I do agree we have (or should have) VERY high standards.....and each candidate should be evaluated on an individual basis..... there are some exceptions to the rule...but isnt that the rule for all rules.....

In my understanding this would be my description of Masonry:
A selective group with very high standards always striving to be more than the best......We take good men and help make them better

<standing in a corner just chipping away.....>

I must add....... that while I may not be on the same page with the good WB on elitism..... this discussion sure is just another step for me in my goal to reach elite status...

DavisB

I must add....... that while I may not be on the same page with the good WB on elitism..... this discussion sure is just another step for me in my goal to reach elite status...
I completely agree. This discussion has helped me put to words many of my opinions about Freemasonry that, until now, had remained vague and ill-defined.

G

Gary

I completely agree. This discussion has helped me put to words many of my opinions about Freemasonry that, until now, had remained vague and ill-defined.
That's what discussions like this are for my Brother. "Who can best work, and best agree" comes to mind. We may not always agree, but we can through discussion, reach common ground of understanding of different view points.

That's what discussions like this are for my Brother. "Who can best work, and best agree" comes to mind. We may not always agree, but we can through discussion, reach common ground of understanding of different view points.

pssst.....That Gary feller is pretty smart:D:p

DavisB

Absolutely. And, in the end, it's only really a preference in terminology.

G

Gary

I agree 110%... I agree in the concept with WB Winter.... its all a matter of terminology
Semantics my Brothers Semantics. The point is the same. We should all strive for "elitism". Our venerable fraternity was founded upon it. In other words, we should all be the best that we can possibly be.

Semantics my Brothers Semantics. The point is the same. We should all strive for "elitism". Our venerable fraternity was founded upon it. In other words, we should all be the best that we can possibly be.
This is the million dollar key to the puzzle..........one word can change the entire meaning of the conversation....

Conversations like this with well respected Brethren is how we can work towards accomplishing your last sentence.

Winter

I've been here before
One who works on teeth: Dentist

One who works with chemicals: Chemist

...works with horticulture: Horticulturist

...with humor: Humorist

(You see where I'm going with this, don't you)

One who works with and at being elite: Elitist

Sorry Brothers. Couldn't resist. :)