What would YOU like to see changed in Masonry?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
So, to paraphrase the great Johnny Cash:

Don't take your guns to Lodge, son
Leave your guns at home, Bro.
Don't take your guns to Lodge

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I just did a search of the Wisconsin Masonic Code: there is no language in there referring to firearms, so the rule is still an edict. A Grand Master's edict remains in force until overturned. So ... if you want to bring your guns to Lodge, then all you have to do is get the GM's edict overturned. Good luck on that.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Bro. Patrick:
Good information.
I was however referring to the Tombstone Lodge and their habit of wearing old west clothing while in The Line. :eek:

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Thread-jacking! (Back on topic), I would like Lodge to open in MM, hand the business and then close in MM and reopen at FC or EA, depending on what brothers are waiting to be in Lodge.
I know the arguments about the "drive to get your MM", "its worth the wait", etc, etc, etc. However, I wanted to be in Lodge and was not afforded that opportunity, I felt slighty less than worthy.

Thread-jacking! (Back on topic), I would like Lodge to open in MM, hand the business and then close in MM and reopen at FC or EA, depending on what brothers are waiting to be in Lodge.
I know the arguments about the "drive to get your MM", "its worth the wait", etc, etc, etc. However, I wanted to be in Lodge and was not afforded that opportunity, I felt slighty less than worthy.
I agree with you Russ. I think it is more beneficial for the long term masonic "health" of a new member to be in lodge, and be around his mentors/peers. Also, the lodge education officer could probably prepare something suitable for FC's and EA's that's still interesting to MM's. I know some states, MN included, are allowed to conduct biz while open on any level. Would like to see that more widespread. Just my humble opinion.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I agree with you Russ. I think it is more beneficial for the long term masonic "health" of a new member to be in lodge, and be around his mentors/peers. Also, the lodge education officer could probably prepare something suitable for FC's and EA's that's still interesting to MM's. I know some states, MN included, are allowed to conduct biz while open on any level. Would like to see that more widespread. Just my humble opinion.
From what I read, this arose from the Baltimore Convention of 1843, in the middle of an anti-Masonry fervor following the Morgan incident. There were instances of a candidate being initiated an EA, then reporting all that he saw in lodge, so it was decreed that all business meetings would be on the MM Degree.
It doesn't seem to be a problem in England or Ireland where I've seen business on the EA Degree.

S&F

From what I read, this arose from the Baltimore Convention of 1843, in the middle of an anti-Masonry fervor following the Morgan incident. There were instances of a candidate being initiated an EA, then reporting all that he saw in lodge, so it was decreed that all business meetings would be on the MM Degree.
It doesn't seem to be a problem in England or Ireland where I've seen business on the EA Degree.

S&F
If this is true, and as anything that can be considered a "secret" can probably be found by a profane in 2 clicks of the mouse, it would seem reasonable to make the change in this day in age, if a jurisdiction is so inclined. We (my lodge) don't do it often, as we move our newbies through the degrees fairly quickly, but we will do biz at EA or FC should we have a member of that degree present at lodge. Opening and closing get's a little shaky!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In Ky , that would not be "change" , but reverting back to our original tradition of how it was done . But , performing regular business in the MM degree has became so ingrained in the minds of our members that they refuse to go back to the way it used to be .

We used to hold our stated meetings on what ever degree we wished to open on (I have the dates of when they changed it to MM degree only but will have to dig them up) , this just goes to show that CHANGE is not always a good thing .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
We used to hold our stated meetings on what ever degree we wished to open on (I have the dates of when they changed it to MM degree only but will have to dig them up) , this just goes to show that CHANGE is not always a good thing .
The changes were made at a time when our Brethren felt them necessary, for reasons they felt sufficient. But now things are swinging the other way and in due time things will change again. One of the good things about Freemasonry as an institution is that change does not happen easily or quickly, but only after much consideration. One of the difficult things about Freemasonry as an institution is that change does not happen easily or quickly, but only after much consideration. How's that for a dichotomy?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I know how things work in Freemasonry but to be honest I am really not to worried about any of it any more .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We always open our "business meetings" (regular communications) on the 1st degree. We have a second, stated communication each month for degree work and open on the degree being conferred. The only activity in the regular communications that is limited to MM is voting.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Still not concerned.
Agreed .

But using 3 year old statistics proves nothing . Kentucky has had a 6,838 (give or take) gain since 2009 . There was 54,585 Masons as of October of last year . And the number of Ky Masons has increased since then .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Freemasonry is NOT dying , it is not bleeding to death , it is not going over a cliff .

Freemasonry is getting to where it should be , a small group of like minded men . Not a huge group who use the Fraternity as a social club or are nothing but card carriers . We need to quit looking at numbers and look for Builders .

Azpir8king

Freemasonry is NOT dying , it is not bleeding to death , it is not going over a cliff .

Freemasonry is getting to where it should be , a small group of like minded men . Not a huge group who use the Fraternity as a social club or are nothing but card carriers . We need to quit looking at numbers and look for Builders .
To Quote 2nd FC...Agreed.:D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
"Builders" , my new favorite word , thanks Coach . Building Boaz has really struck a chord with me . I am re-reading it yet again . I can not wait till I can purchase the rest of your books .

cemab4y

KENTUCKY (2009)47,747 (2008)48,408 net loss -661

@Ashlar2006: What is your source for this count of KY Masons? You claim 54,585 Masons as of October (2010). That would be a net gain of 6,838 members in one year.

The data is posted is provided by the Masonic Service Association, which uses the data provided by the Grand lodges.