Why

For me, I believe this can be one question that can make people very uncomfortable. In Lodge, when a new Brother comes in and asks this question. In a stagnant lodge, asking questions can make some uncomfortable.....

G

Gary

They should be uncomfortable only if they can't provide suitable answers. At the very least, one would think that they would know who to ask or where to find said answers. Stagnant or not, there is no excuse. That's apathy and complacency.

They should be uncomfortable only if they can't provide suitable answers. At the very least, one would think that they would know who to ask or where to find said answers. Stagnant or not, there is no excuse. That's apathy and complacency.
And that has settled into way to many Lodges.....in my short journey, I have only met a few that can explain further if asked why...I have meet plenty that can recite ritual verbatim at the drop of a hat but ask them to explain and this is the reaction ya get: :eek::eek::eek: followed up by <inset crickets here>..

G

Gary

And that has settled into way to many Lodges.....in my short journey, I have only met a few that can explain further if asked why...I have meet plenty that can recite ritual verbatim at the drop of a hat but ask them to explain and this is the reaction ya get: :eek::eek::eek: followed up by <inset crickets here>..
I guess the question is then really; Are they a parrot, ruffian, or a Mason? (They are all Freemasons BTW) You can have all three in a Lodge.

For the sake of harmony.....I believe I will not publicly answer that.....but lets just say....I have seen several boxes of cracker in the lodge....:(

G

Gary

A wise Brother once taught me a valuable lesson. If it weren't for the parrots, we'd never be able to keep the secrets alive for as long as we have. They carry them and don't even know it. We need them in the fraternity. Once in a while, a Brother comes along and actually does the work to figure out what the parrots are actually reciting. It's the exception rather than the norm my Brother. It was a jagged pill for me to swallow too.

I can see the value in that lesson......just as long as the parrot isnt setting on the shoulders of a gang of ruffians.......that is a way to keep a brother from doing his work.

Winter

I've been here before
[Post edited]

Hahahaha I was enjoying some Memorial Day libations before this post. Reread it today and realized it didn't really work. lol

Friends don't let friends post drunk! :)

Brother...I do believe you misunderstood my "WHY"...it is Why does this or that mean what it does.....Why do we do this or that....This question is a question I have found really makes people in a Lodge uneasy...because they dont know the lessons themselves...I am asking my "WHY" just like a child asks why....the new Brother asks why to the Lodge and they cant answer the questions.....what is the reason for him to return...if the Lodge cant answer, he will go somewhere else...hopefully he will not leave the fraternity but maybe find a Lodge that can answer his questions "WHY"

ALL of your questions are very good but from a different angle than where I am coming from.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I always answer to the best of my ability , and get back with them later with a more detailed answer . If I do not know the answer off hand , I tell them I will study up on it and get back to them .

Though I do not post in esoteric section here as everyone else has it covered and I do not see the need for me to be chiming in , I am the one in my lodge that all the other brothers send new Masons to answer these questions .

G

Gary

I always answer to the best of my ability , and get back with them later with a more detailed answer . If I do not know the answer off hand , I tell them I will study up on it and get back to them .
That's the way it should be. That's quality leadership.

G

Gary

I have all three in my Lodge.
And I'll bet every Lodge in the world does too. It's what creates a sort of balance believe it or not. They all provide a necessary link to the success of the fraternity. As long as there is a balance and they play nice, the machine runs smoothly.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is true , balance . I guess I could be considered "Parrot & Mason" . I try to learn all I can , but do I know everything behind the ritual , no . After all these years I am still studying and still learning , and I learn something new everyday and as I stated above if I do not know the answer I will find it and both the candidate and I learn something new . And I can also Parrot ritual for each degree . I know all three pretty much word for word . The sad thing though is that I am the only Parrot in my lodge . I would love to have more Parrots to help me out and take some of the weight off my shoulders when it comes to performing degrees . And if I had a few more Parrots , they could Parrot the degree and I could do my best to explain it all to the new Masons .

Does this make any sense ?

G

Gary

This is true , balance . I guess I could be considered "Parrot & Mason" . I try to learn all I can , but do I know everything behind the ritual , no . After all these years I am still studying and still learning , and I learn something new everyday and as I stated above if I do not know the answer I will find it and both the candidate and I learn something new . And I can also Parrot ritual for each degree . I know all three pretty much word for word . The sad thing though is that I am the only Parrot in my lodge . I would love to have more Parrots to help me out and take some of the weight off my shoulders when it comes to performing degrees . And if I had a few more Parrots , they could Parrot the degree and I could do my best to explain it all to the new Masons .

Does this make any sense ?
The difference between you and a run of the mill parrot is that you actually are interested in the whole process. Not just cramming words. What I find cool is that you are also willing to admit what you don't know, and then are willing to find out information to help another Brother.

That tells me one thing for sure. You "recite" as a ritualist, you aren't a parrot. :cool:

"Ritual is but the vehicle by which Masonic knowledge is delivered."
VERY TRUE....but if those that are delivering it can not explain and teach it...then it is nothing more than words that they have memorized...you can teach a bird to repeat stuff....that doesnt mean they know it.....If I learn some greek words and can say them well doesnt mean I know the greek language.....it simply means I can repeat things.......Dont get me wrong, I do think knowing the ritual and being able to do the degree work well is very important....but if no one can explain what has been taught taught from the degree then it is no more than a play put on by some good actors.

The difference between you and a run of the mill parrot is that you actually are interested in the whole process. Not just cramming words. What I find cool is that you are also willing to admit what you don't know, and then are willing to find out information to help another Brother.

That tells me one thing for sure. You "recite" as a ritualist, you aren't a parrot. :cool:
Ditto what Gary said...... I dont believe any one person will ever be able to answer all the questions....but I know some parrots that dont have a clue...ask them to explain a degree and this is their response::eek::confused::confused::eek::eek::mad:

And I'll bet every Lodge in the world does too. It's what creates a sort of balance believe it or not. They all provide a necessary link to the success of the fraternity. As long as there is a balance and they play nice, the machine runs smoothly.
Unless the ruffians have control of the Lodge...in which case, it is not a positive experience for eager Masons both new and old

G

Gary

Unless the ruffians have control of the Lodge...in which case, it is not a positive experience for eager Masons both new and old
Again, They have to play nice in the sand box. You aren't going to get rid of them, so you might as well strap in for the long haul Brother.