Written methods of reconition?...edited

edwmax

Have to disagree on both points here, Bro. Under our GL (I'm in ATL) EA OB specifically forbids writing because it might become unlawfully obtained.

For the record, it also forbids communicating the same secrets by speech to any person in the known world, lest he be. . .(and even then, he's got to prove it).
Our GL has 12 copies of the Ritual in cypher for each of our 12 districts & a 'Master' copy in the G Sec's safe. If the EA OB strictly forbids any & all writing then our GM & G Sec have violated their OB. ... Our GL Code (77-122) makes it a violation of Code to write the ritual or secrets.

No where in all 3 of the OBs is a 'reason' stated for requiring any part of the OB. But, there are several part that state conditions to or not to act; ie. 'I finding them worthy'; 'Murder & treason alone excepted'; 'whereby the secrets might (or may) become unlawfully obtained.'

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
First, does your GL have or use cyphers or any type of written rituals? I suspect your GL does, and as I said the GM and the G Sec took the same oath as you & I, but they are allowing the cypher.

Second, You need to complete the above statement, instead of paraphrasing part of it. It is out of context. The next part of the statement sets a condition. If there is a condition not to write, then there must be a condition to write.

Third, If you do believe what you have stated, then you have broken your own OB by writing above part of the OB in 'letters' as a cypher. It wouldn't take long for a non-Mason to figure out what those letters are. This forum is open to all that logs in.

The problem is almost all Masons when as Candidates have taken the word of their Coach as being gospel and have not studied or examined the info they what been told with what the Ritual or OB actually said.
In the GL of Wisconsin, a Master Mason, in good standing, can purchase a copy of the multi-letter cipher from their Lodge Secretary. It contains not only the rituals, but also floor work, opening/closing, a 'Rusty Nail', and few other things. We routinely use them in Lodge to follow along to help us learn the rituals. I have written some letters that may or may not be correc tot my OB.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Brother Max is correct.

If you examine the entirety of the first Obligation containing the "strung-together" clauses involving rendering aspects of Ritual under the Canopy of the Heavens, it only forbids such rendering under specific conditions.

Should you keep within the spirit and letter of these inter-connected clauses, kept together, not separated from each other, you could indeed render without violating the Obligation.

But should you not fully understand all these conditions, which most Freemasons don't, you are best not rendering anything.

My two cents,

Coach N

edwmax

Doesn't say directly that we can't type or email.....lol
' ... on anything movable or immovable, under the whole canopy of heaven ...' ... I think pixels on a computer screen would still be covered.

It is not my intention to promote a debate/argument; only to point out the OB sets a 'condition' for not writing and which implies (logic) there are conditions of which writing is permitted.

If the OB absolutely forbid writing as most Masons believe, then the stating the condition in the OB would not have need necessary. If the OB did absolutely forbid writing, then cyphers printed by any GL would also be a violation. But, since GLs do print cyphers and usually require a Mason to sign a pledge to not loan or give the cypher to anyone not a Mason; this would indicated the GL has also determined the OB does not absolutely forbid writing.

In my GL, a section was added to the Code which absolutely forbids a Mason under our jurisdiction of even possessing a cypher with the exception of Custodians and their assistants and G Secretary. Again, this Code requirement would indicated my GL has also determined the OB does not absolutely forbid writing. ... I think many other GLs may have similar sections in their Code.

Everyone is welcome to disagree, I am use to siting on this limb alone; err, almost alone. I know of others that do agree.

edwmax

Brother Max is correct.

If you examine the entirety of the first Obligation containing the "strung-together" clauses involving rendering aspects of Ritual under the Canopy of the Heavens, it only forbids such rendering under specific conditions.

Should you keep within the spirit and letter of these inter-connected clauses, kept together, not separated from each other, you could indeed render without violating the Obligation.

But should you not fully understand all these conditions, which most Freemasons don't, you are best not rendering anything.

My two cents,

Coach N

Thanks Coach, ... you sit on this limb with me!

The other day I saw this list of things you realize as you grow older. One of them was that no moment is worse than the one during an argument where you realize you are the one who is wrong.

I didn't consider this an argument, but expressing of views. I spoke. I am beginning to think I spoke incorrectly. Gives me something to think about.

edwmax

The other day I saw this list of things you realize as you grow older. One of them was that no moment is worse than the one during an argument where you realize you are the one who is wrong.

I didn't consider this an argument, but expressing of views. I spoke. I am beginning to think I spoke incorrectly. Gives me something to think about.
.... :4-clap: ... bravo Brother ... All I ever cared about, was for a Brother to look at something for himself and not just take the word of his coach or what he was told by another Mason. ... Therefore, any conclusion he comes to is HIS.

FF Sparky

The original question tho is.......

Just curious, but I've never had anyone really explain some of the best ways to recognize a Brother (or have a Brother recognize YOU) when writing.
When your walking around town and come across a guy wearing a S&C ring, tie or hat, you have a safe bet he is a Brother. But, if you communicate with someone, never meeting him personally and if you were curious if he was a Brother, How would you recognize him. I don't believe he is asking about discussing Masonic stuff.

I hope I'm understanding him correctly. Is it appropriate to ask if he is a Mason?? Is there any tale-tale signs of picking a Mason out through conversation?

Maybe the OP is asking if there is some mark or symbol a mason would make on a general document that only another mason would recognize.

edwmax

Just ask him! ... Ask him the name of his Lodge. If you are in mixed company, you cant make esoteric talk anyway. ... And later if you both are going to talk esoteric, you cant rely on questions & answers, you have to see his CARD and he yours.

FF Sparky

Just ask him! ... Ask him the name of his Lodge. If you are in mixed company, you cant make esoteric talk anyway. ... And later if you both are going to talk esoteric, you cant rely on questions & answers, you have to see his CARD and he yours.
Thats what I was thinking, Whats he gunna say....NO??? Doesn't hurt to ask.

Rough Ashlar

Maybe the OP is asking if there is some mark or symbol a mason would make on a general document that only another mason would recognize.
Hey guys! I've been out of the loop for a while, but am back. So, this (the above) is the main point I'm trying to address. I'm well aware of at least a couple of ways to discern whether a man is a Brother while engaged in actual, physical conversation with him. What I'm trying to figure out, though, is whether there's a way to send a message via document (written, typed, etc) that says "HEY! I'm a Brother! If you are, you'll see this and recognize it!" without going over the top...vague enough to be inserted into virtually any text (or most, anyway) without having to say "Hi. I'm a Mason. Are you?"

I've found that I've come across many men who I have suspected were Brethren, but have been unable, due to professional circumstance, to engage them in private enough conversation to toss some dialect their way. A follow-up e-mail, for example, without seeming weird or unprofessional...resumes, essays, even forum postings. I've encountered guys in my online classes who have said things that would cause me to wonder if they were "brought to Light", but in such a public setting, I can't just out-and-out change the subject to ask...

It seems like there would, given our history, be TONS of ways to do this... I'm just not able to recall any. And the ways I do know are all best relegated to spoken dialogue, rather than written (variations of "grandma," "travel," etc...) Kind of hard to toss those into esoteric writings.

Isn't there a Mason-only forum on here, where we have to prove our Membership? Isn't that why we provide our lodge numbers, etc? Perhaps there's a way/place to better have this discussion...

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I'm reminded of Bro. Red Skelton.... I would love to find that clip, I have thought about doing it to someone too.