Written methods of reconition?...edited

Winter

I've been here before
<SNIP> Isn't there a Mason-only forum on here, where we have to prove our Membership? Isn't that why we provide our lodge numbers, etc? Perhaps there's a way/place to better have this discussion...
No, There are no restricted sections of the Forum here. Everything is open to the public, that is why circumspection is cautioned in our conversations here.

As for my two cents on your question, anything that can be inserted into a spoken conversation can probably be converted to written correspondence without much difficulty. Although your best bet would probably be to wait till you can speak to the possible Brother without others overhearing and just ask them outright. Or try signing your name with 3 dots in a triangle between words! lol Though American Brothers are not likely to get the significance.

And my two cents concerning our Ob. and the strictures about improperly communicating our secrets through the written word, which we swear to in Emulation Rite as well.

Our Ritual Monitor is completely written out with only a few significant words removed for secrecy sake. And since My Rite is older than all of yours, I call shenanigans on your ciphers! LOL

Winter

I've been here before
America is one of the few countries that actually uses ciphers. Another kneejerk reaction because of the Morgan Affair.

Rough Ashlar

Hmm...Winter, that's why I've offered DC exchanges. I'm probably going to get a little bit eschewed here, but sneaking key words into a cover letter, public posting, etc., is kind of what I'm looking for.

Winter

I've been here before
Hmm...Winter, that's why I've offered DC exchanges. I'm probably going to get a little bit eschewed here, but sneaking key words into a cover letter, public posting, etc., is kind of what I'm looking for.
When you sign a letter or other correspondence, written or electronic, just put S.M.I.B. after your name. Most Brothers know what that means.

<example>
J. Smith
S.M.I.B.

Brothers will most likely recognize it and others may be prompted to ask which might open a dialogue about Masonry.

Rough Ashlar

Yep, this is what I mean...but, would that not be out of place in a professional document, when no "signature" is required or expected?

Winter

I've been here before
Yep, this is what I mean...but, would that not be out of place in a professional document, when no "signature" is required or expected?
Of course it would be out of place. It is not the usual practice or custom. But it's all I've got! lol

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Of course it would be out of place. It is not the usual practice or custom. But it's all I've got! lol
Some will assume it is a professional organization, others will go ummm, and a few Brothers will know they have found another Brother.

I recall the voice mail from the chairman of my investigation committee. He is someone that I work with almost daily and never knew he was a Mason and now a Brother.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Indeed it would be out of place. Indeed, it would be out of place in a professional document when a signature is required or expected.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I have a little dog,,,,

been looking for a year, no joy yet.
Me to. I even contacted the Red Skelton Archives and they heard of it but didn't know where to find it. A brother at my lodge told me he actually never did the routine on the air but used it as a "warm-up" routine before the show started.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Me to. I even contacted the Red Skelton Archives and they heard of it but didn't know where to find it. A brother at my lodge told me he actually never did the routine on the air but used it as a "warm-up" routine before the show started.
This is an odd memory to have, but I recall having seen it on his show once. It was funny like all of his routines are.

jaya

I have searched for it everywhere I could over the past year or so. I have found many references that it was a warm up routine and never recorded.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
When I finally travel to each on of your Lodges or meet you in some other manner, that is how I'm opening. No white carnation or anything.

Rough Ashlar

Some will assume it is a professional organization, others will go ummm, and a few Brothers will know they have found another Brother.

I recall the voice mail from the chairman of my investigation committee. He is someone that I work with almost daily and never knew he was a Mason and now a Brother.
Well...what was his voicemail? lol.:confused:

dajofa

When I have met a Brother in my travels very often the statement arises "I see y***** a**** a T********* M**" Said openly in public. Meaningless to all but a Brother. Would it be wrong to incorporate it in written form as a question. Its a statement with dual answers. The right one for a Brother...........and the right one for a non Brother. Relatively meaningless question for a non Brother, actually a bit nosey! There are other confirmatory statments with dual meanings ie where from, where to, Places that always seem to be dark, etc. If incorperated into a letter you would either be known as a Brother or as a flake.

Would this vioilate any revealing of ritual/secrets etc?

Rough Ashlar

See, spoken, it's much easier to identify a Brother, as you've identified. There's also the inculcation of certain relatives...but you wouldn't ask a question in, say a resume, or on a post, regardless of the dual answers. To answer your question, I'm not sure. It might depend on your jurisdiction...