Alcohol Not allowed in lodges

Why is that? I think if was allowed that some guys just join just to drink our might drink to much and pass out during meetings. As for me I can go ether way I'm not big drinker, I enjoy a shot crown our crown and coke.

jaya

Most of the lodges in the US do not allow alcohol at all. Some jurisdictions allow alcohol to be served in the lodge. It depends on the state. You will find that a blanket statement like "alcohol not allowed in the lodge" is rarely true for every jurisdiction. Personally, I would love to be able to sit back after a meeting and enjoy a scotch with my brothers. I do not think drinking in excess would be an issue in the lodge. We should not doo things in excess. The other brethren there should help make sure that none get drunk. The issue keeps comming up at our Grand Lodge session but keeps getting voted down. What many want here is to be able to rent out the building for weddings and such and allow them to serve alsohol at theat function. Currently that is not even allowed here.

I need to find out if my lodge allows it. I need to ask the freemason that I been talking to my Facebook, But he's not on that much he's a very busy guy.

Winter

I've been here before
The short answer is, Alcohol was banned from Lodges when Prohibition went into effect. When it was repealed the Lodges didn't follow suit. Several jurisdictions are revisiting this idea today with mixed responses from the membership.

My Lodge has alcohol. There has never been an incident. Not One. And members do not join to drink because they are properly vetted prior to petitioning. Not to mention that there are cheaper drinking clubs.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We just had this conversation in a lodge not long ago . Many claim it was because of prohibition BUT in my jurisdiction the ban on alcohol was included in our very first , original constitution that was drafted in the 1788 . There was also a ban on those who worked in the processing or selling of spirits (bar/liquor store owners) . That was lifted , but the ban on drinking is still in affect as there is not enough interest in trying to change the rule .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Alcohol is allowed in Lodges in Massachusetts but only after the meeting. There is one exception. There is one lodge that has in it's charter, signed by Paul Revere, that every member is offered a cup of rum punch before the meeting. Most do not take advantage of it. I have learned that I do not perform well with even a single drink when delivering Ritual, so I will not even have a beer with dinner on lodge nights.

After the meeting, I've been known to bring something special to share with my brothers. Lately, it's been packaged in Mason Jars ;)

jaya

The short answer is, Alcohol was banned from Lodges when Prohibition went into effect.
Not altogether true. I have been trying to find out when and why it was banned in NC. I have seen the code abck to right before probibition went into effect and it was already banned. I have been trying to find copies of the code older than that without success. The GL is not much help in this for some reason.

jaya

I've been known to bring something special to share with my brothers. Lately, it's been packaged in Mason Jars ;)
You yankees don't know what good stuff "packaged in mason jars" really is. Come down to the mountains in NC and you can find the really good stuff. :D:p

Sad to say though, popcorn is dead.:mad:

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
You yankees don't know what good stuff "packaged in mason jars" really is. Come down to the mountains in NC and you can find the really good stuff. :D:p

You're probably right. I've been using 190 proof Everclear to mix up "Grandma's Apple Pie". A batch just went out on the back porch last night.

I considered the DIY route and beside it being illegal, having explosive gasses near open flames was something I thought my wife would frown upon in the kitchen.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

Come to my house , there is a Mason jar of Apple Pie Moonshine , some of ...he who shall not be named's .....finest . I am just waiting for some good company to share it with . Does not take much to put one on their a** so it will last a long while .

Sorry , I meant to quote you Windrider .

jaya

Got some apple pie, cherries, and straight corn whiskey right now. Popcorn Sutton made some good stuff. Since he died, his shine is made legal now. Taste close to what he made but not quite.

cemab4y

Most (but not all) USA lodges prohibit all alcoholic beverages. No wine, beer, or distilled spirits in the lodge building at all. Some lodges rent out their buildings to other non-masonic functions, like wedding receptions, or square dancing,etc. and some (but not all) permit alcohol to be served in the non-masonic functions.

Most (but not all) overseas lodges, including Canada, permit the moderate use of alcohol in the lodge buildings. The Grand National Lodge of France has a complete bar and wine cellar in the building.

Some Grand Lodges even prohibit men who are employed in the alcohol industry (like a grocery store that sells beer), to petition freemasonry.

Some lodges will close the meeting, when all business is concluded, and then adjourn to a nearby tavern, and enjoy refreshments (including alcohol).

Some lodges schedule "table lodges", in restaurants and taverns, and hold these meetings with alcohol served.

I suggest that you check with the lodge and Grand Lodge in your state of residence and determine what the policy or policies are.

dajofa

Interesting -

My Lodge has a fully stocked bar in the basement where both table lodges and fellowship meetings are held. After Communications drinks are served at cost and, I, have never seen it taken to intemperance or excess. Interestingly enough, our normal "Stand in" JW is indeed the bartender!

Regards
Dave

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This topic has been beat to death but I personally can live with or without it . If we passed legislation to allow alcohol then that would be fine , if the legislation failed that would be fine also . I have about enough interest in writing up and presenting legislation on the floor of the Grand Lodge session to allow alcohol in lodge as I am in having a colonoscopy and a prostate exam . I'm just not that interested .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
LOL , I am just trying to make a point that alcohol (in lodge) is at the very , very bottom on my list of things to get excited about and I am truly stumped as to why this is such a big deal to some .

Winter

I've been here before
Probably due to the demonizing of alcohol in much of the public and social media today.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Probably due to the demonizing of alcohol in much of the public and social media today.
Well , I was commenting on those who raise he** that we DO NOT allow alcohol in some of our lodges , not those who dislike alcohol . Like I said , it is at the very bottom of my list of things to worry about . To be honest , it is not on my list of worries at all . And I love a good scotch or imported beer .