Cult or No?

kyle117

Yo i found This Ring and everyone tells me its from a huge cult and i did research on you guys to find out ... soo ?

RoughAshlar

Thats a statement that I have heard all to often. We are the worlds oldest fraternity, nothing more, nothing less. The statement that we are a cult comes from a time when the Chatholic church was persecuting any organization that they thought might challenge their authority. However, the papal ban on masonry in the Chatholic church was lifted in 1982. In my experiance people that make that statement are usually extreemly misinformed, biggots, or conspiricy nuts.
We accept everyone of all races and all religons and discussion of religon is forbidden in the lodge because it can be a very divisive subject and disturb the harmony of the lodge. I hope this helps clear things up for you.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A cult ? To say we are a cult , satanic or even out for world domination is a disgrace and a dishonor to all the great men who have come this way before us and all the great men who are members now . Such men as Ben Franklin , George Washington , Paul Revere , Marquis de Lafayette ,Mozart and many , many others .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Yo i found This Ring and everyone tells me its from a huge cult and i did research on you guys to find out ... soo ?
Kyle,
You have taken the time to investigate our illustrious and ancient fraternity, I now pose the question to you, "Have you found that freemasonry is a cult? " I ask this because as I agree with the above statements, I would implore you to talk face to face with a mason local to you. If you are not a mason and have questions, you will find that if you ask one you will be supplied with ample information to make a more informed judgement. If you are entertaining the thought of joining our fraternity, and are searching for feelings about that, I think you have already been answered, we as freemasons feel very strongly about being considered "Cults" by those less informed. Any freemason will be more than willing to discuss the fraternity at end, however to disagree with the insidieous to entertain them, makes no sense and will often just provoke those even more. I would hope that you will be, and are open minded enough to speak with those more informed about our fraternity.
I implore you to pursue more information from a local source near you, you will probably find that you know someone in the fraternity.

Please ask any other questions and if we can, we are all more than willing to answer them.

PS. My feelings about being a "cult" is that no we are not a cult, we are mearly a fraternity of men with the purpose of "Taking good men and making them better"

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I agree with BG_TRBL , find a Freemason and talk one on one . You may know a Mason and not even know it . There is much , on the internet , pertaining to Freemasonry . Some good , some bad . There is alot of anti-mason sites which you have to take with a grain of salt . They point out why Masonry is sinister by using misinterpretations of ritual , myths ,half truths and outright lies . So tread carefully on such sites .

sarah

Thats a statement that I have heard all to often. We are the worlds oldest fraternity, nothing more, nothing less. The statement that we are a cult comes from a time when the Chatholic church was persecuting any organization that they thought might challenge their authority. However, the papal ban on masonry in the Chatholic church was lifted in 1982. In my experiance people that make that statement are usually extreemly misinformed, biggots, or conspiricy nuts.
We accept everyone of all races and all religons and discussion of religon is forbidden in the lodge because it can be a very divisive subject and disturb the harmony of the lodge. I hope this helps clear things up for you.
Hey RoughAshlar. Why did they had to put a ban on masonary? It is for the good cause. Isnt it?

sarah

The encyclopedia looks intresting. And pls do post it again here. Some members would prefer reading it here :)

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
Hey RoughAshlar. Why did they had to put a ban on masonary? It is for the good cause. Isnt it?
The papal ban on Masonry has not been lifted. It was a misconception from 2000 when a California Priest said it was, at least in the US, but later, the comments were retracted. The Catholics feel that Masonry conflicts with the teachings of the church. As a Mason, and a Catholic, I know it doesn't, at least from my point of view.

martha

The papal ban on Masonry has not been lifted. It was a misconception from 2000 when a California Priest said it was, at least in the US, but later, the comments were retracted. The Catholics feel that Masonry conflicts with the teachings of the church. As a Mason, and a Catholic, I know it doesn't, at least from my point of view.
Then why to others think so? If they think that masonary conflicts with basic catholic teacing then it means they dont know their religion well? I dont mean any offense. But thats how I felt after reading the comments.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can't answer for catholics . But pertaining to other religions , it's not that they don't know their religion well , it's the other way around . They don't know what Freemasonry is about . They read the ritual and think it's against their religion . Take that back , they want it to be against their religion . Some out there need to hate against something and hating another religion is frowned upon , so they choose to hate Freemasonry , because it's an easy target . They know we will not argue back over it .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Anti-masons will go to great lengths to claim we are a cult , religion or anti-Christian . Take Rev. Jim Shaw's " The Deadly Deception" . On the cover of the book he claims to be one Masonry's top leaders , to have been a Past Master of his lodge , a 33rd degree mason , a Past Master of all the Scottish Rite bodies and claims to reveal the ritual of the 33rd degree . 4 of these statements are verifiable lies . He was never a Past Master , or a Past master of one of the Scottish Rite bodies let alone all of them . He was never a 33rd degree Mason , nor had went through the ritual of a 33rd degree , he only plagairized it .

If he tells 4 out of 6 six lies on the cover alone , how credible do you think the contents of the pages themselves are ? By using lofty titles and being a Rev. he can dupe those unknowing to take it as the truth . And when you prove them wrong with undeniable facts , they either stick to their guns and call you a liar , or just drop it and move on to somthing else to use against us .

Ex-Masons for Jesus and ephesians5-11 are two other web site that claims you can not be a Christian and a Mason , and calls us a cult . On their web forum , and cemab4y can verify it , they love to bash us by using scripture to prove us wrong . I've noticed when using scriptures , they convienetly leave out parts of the verses that doesn't work for them so it will suit their needs . They love to quote Rev. Jim Shaw's book as their proof , yet when you call them on it they claim that it doesn't matter that he lies , the ends justify the means . I find the use of lies or promoting liars to defend your stance against Freemasonry unchristian like behavior in and of itself .

To read up on all the anti-masons out there and their tactics , here a link :Anti-Masonry: Points of View

Abot

Intresting link dear. I am surprised that there are prople out there who are against good tasks? Well thinking again I shouldnt be very much surprised.The world's moving towards hatred faster and faster. Which I fear may lead to destruction

Abot

I can't answer for catholics . But pertaining to other religions , it's not that they don't know their religion well , it's the other way around . They don't know what Freemasonry is about . They read the ritual and think it's against their religion . Take that back , they want it to be against their religion . Some out there need to hate against something and hating another religion is frowned upon , so they choose to hate Freemasonry , because it's an easy target . They know we will not argue back over it .
Ashlar, Can you kindly pls list one or two rituals here which people have stated being against some religion? An example would be good to educate all members