FH Masonic Book Club

What book to read at this time for the FH Book Club?

• The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Building Boaz by Dr. John Nagy

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Winter

I've been here before
Based on Brother Tom's post in the "Ideas" thread I thought I would propose that we start a Masonic book club here on FH.

We take a reasonable amount of time and decide on a Masonic book and everyone who wants to take part buys said book.

Then we set a schedule and discuss it, maybe a chapter a week or so.

One of the benefits is that whoever takes part will also build a Masonic library over time. Who can't swing one book every month or two?

Keep the books simple at first, basic Masonic books and nothing too esoteric or tin-foil-hat.

I'll throw out there for our first book, The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Based on Brother Tom's post in the "Ideas" thread I thought I would propose that we start a Masonic book club here on FH.

We take a reasonable amount of time and decide on a Masonic book and everyone who wants to take part buys said book.

Then we set a schedule and discuss it, maybe a chapter a week or so.

One of the benefits is that whoever takes part will also build a Masonic library over time. Who can't swing one book every month or two?

Keep the books simple at first, basic Masonic books and nothing too esoteric or tin-foil-hat.

I'll throw out there for our first book, The Builders by Joseph Fort Newton.
I'm in. I like the idea of the E-books too.

Winter

I've been here before
Another good suggestion would be to read Building Hiram. The first book in the Builder Series by Brother Coach who is a regular here. And having the author handy would allow us to bounce questions off of him as well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I ordered a copy of the builders from Amazon but have not gotten to read it yet . I will start reading it today .

I can't afford to purchase Coach's books right now .

Duncan1574

Another good suggestion would be to read Building Hiram. The first book in the Builder Series by Brother Coach who is a regular here. And having the author handy would allow us to bounce questions off of him as well.
Building Hiram is an excellent idea, however it was written for Raised MMs, which would leave several of us out of the thread.

G

Gary

Building Hiram is an excellent idea, however it was written for Raised MMs, which would leave several of us out of the thread.
Your not forbidden to read it, you just won't get the most out of it until you are raised. Building Athens is another good one.

I'm for reading the Builder's although, I HATE reading books on my computer. I can't book mark thing's I want to go back to, etc. I'm stuck if you choose the Builder's though. If I buy another book anytime soon, the wife will KILL me.

Duncan1574

Your not forbidden to read it, you just won't get the most out of it until you are raised. Building Athens is another good one.

I'm for reading the Builder's although, I HATE reading books on my computer. I can't book mark thing's I want to go back to, etc. I'm stuck if you choose the Builder's though. If I buy another book anytime soon, the wife will KILL me.
1. Hate is a strong word, perhaps you should try The Builders on your PC as a learning experience in a different medium. Someday (soon I suspect) some books will only be on-line.:confused:
2. Killing is the sole province of the EIEIO, your wife could contract them I suppose (Fees used for the betterment of F&AM).:eek:

G

Gary

1. Hate is a strong word, perhaps you should try The Builders on your PC as a learning experience in a different medium. Someday (soon I suspect) some books will only be on-line.:confused:
2. Killing is the sole province of the EIEIO, your wife could contract them I suppose (Fees used for the betterment of F&AM).:eek:
I used a strong word for a strong feeling Brother. I have really tried to get used to reading large bits of material this way to no avail. I'd much rather have a book in my hand. If books go all digital, I've got a LARGE library of my own already. Pretty diverse in topics too.

As far as the EIEIO.... I think I'm currently in their good graces, and I wan't to keep it that way. :D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

Gary , The builders is only $8 on Amazon .

Like you , I too hate reading books from a screen , be it computer or device . I f they do make the switch and it is E-books only , I guess I will not be reading them .

G

Gary

Gary , The builders is only $8 on Amazon .

Like you , I too hate reading books from a screen , be it computer or device . I f they do make the switch and it is E-books only , I guess I will not be reading them .
Hmmm...I wonder if the wife will notice....$8 plus shipping, should be less than 20 clams. I might risk it, but If I do I may wind up in the dog house. I've bought 14 books in the last few months. LOL

CoachN

Builder Builder
Agreed. Building Boaz is for EAs and above and hence includes all Masons.

It is an excellent study guide and discourse starter -- you know - Cuss and Discuss! :D

CoachN

Builder Builder
re: BH - Not forbidden BUT encouraged not to until you are a MM.
re: BA - For FCs and above!

G

Gary

Good points Coach. So, If Dr. Nagy's books are on the list...How about we do Building Boaz? I have it, but haven't read it yet.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We will never get everyone on the same page , book wise , so what we will have to do is take a vote and the majority will win out . So if the majority of Brothers do own Building Boaz , then those of us who do not can simply bow out until a book we do own comes along .

Zack

Can't expect everyone to have every book but something can still be learned by "listening" and asking questions.

I would think Building Boaz would be acceptable as it includes the EAs & Fcs who are familiar enough with the initiation ritual that they will not be in the dark so to speak. Also, as has been mentioned, Bro. Nagy is among us.

G

Gary

Or, we could do two books at a time. Well, at least the shorter reads. Please note, that I'm not opposed to reading the Builders. I was just throwing options out there.

I'm with you. What ever the majority want's is fine with me.