Greetings!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
For some of the guys I've worked with knocking out the OB first was a huge relief and it flowed well after for them.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Thank you everyone, I may only be at the start of my Journey but its already great.

Any tips for the memory work?
YES, I would recommend short frequent sessions with your mentor. Those every-week-or-two 2 or 4 hour sessions are grueling and inefficient. Half and hour every day is much faster.
Practice it whenever you can. If your GL allows the little candidate books with the first letters of the catechism [Indiana did for me], keep it in your breast pocket for immediate access if you have a minute...even in the toilet.

S&F

Fireman

I do have the booklet and have been trying to take bites out of the OB every night, will start carrying it with me. Frequent visits with my mentor are not practical, each trip involves 3 hours in the car. Duncan has been helping decipher my booklet so far.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I do have the booklet and have been trying to take bites out of the OB every night, will start carrying it with me. Frequent visits with my mentor are not practical, each trip involves 3 hours in the car. Duncan has been helping decipher my booklet so far.
Can your lodge find a brother closer to you to coach you? My lodge is coaching an EA who moved here from quite some distance away. That lodge's secretary, the EA's father-in-law, knew the brother coaching him from seeing him at Grand Lodge, so he could easily vouch him.

S&F

Fireman

3 hours is round trip, 90 minutes 1 way. I did find out that I can transfer before becoming MM, but not sure if I can pre-examination.

That would be the other day light lodge I had not known about when I started looking. It is conveniently located about 30 minutes away and just a mile or so from the GL.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have a Duncan's Ritual , but it is merely for reference and entertainment purposes as my GL ritual/catechism is somewhat to completely different . I do like that little book though .

Fireman

I have a Duncan's Ritual , but it is merely for reference and entertainment purposes as my GL ritual/catechism is somewhat to completely different . I do like that little book though .
The parts I am looking at are close enough to help me figure out my booklet as far as the OB goes.

steven_tyler

http://www.***************.com/cookies/37/b/happy.gif

Greeting is an act of communication in which human beings (as well as other members of the animal kingdom) intentionally make their presence known to each other, to show attention to, and to suggest a type of relationship or social status between individuals or groups of people coming in contact with each other. While greeting customs are highly culture- and situation-specific and may change within a culture depending on social status and relationship, they exist in all known human cultures. Greetings can be expressed both audibly and physically, and often involve a combination of the two. This topic excludes military and ceremonial salutes but includes rituals other than gestures.

Greetings are often, but not always, used just prior to a conversation.

Some epochs and cultures have had very elaborate greeting rituals, e.g., greeting of a king.

Secret societies have clandestine greeting rituals that allow members to recognize common membership.

Winter

I've been here before

Greeting is an act of communication in which human beings (as well as other members of the animal kingdom) intentionally make their presence known to each other, to show attention to, and to suggest a type of relationship or social status between individuals or groups of people coming in contact with each other. While greeting customs are highly culture- and situation-specific and may change within a culture depending on social status and relationship, they exist in all known human cultures. Greetings can be expressed both audibly and physically, and often involve a combination of the two. This topic excludes military and ceremonial salutes but includes rituals other than gestures.

Some epochs and cultures have had very elaborate greeting rituals, e.g., greeting of a king.

Secret societies have clandestine greeting rituals that allow members to recognize common membership.
Uh, you might want to open your own thread in this section and maybe tell us a little about yourself. This thread was for Fireman's introduction. And I think most of us are pretty aware of what a greeting is. :)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

What is the point of this post ? I attended grade school and have been educated on the meaning of "greetings" . And to top it off , this is another cut and paste job , this time from Wikipedia .

Also , as Bro. Winter stated , this is Fireman's thread so if you want to start your own thread to educate us on the meaning of "Greetings" , then start your own thread . Friend , you are not off to a good start here .

jaya

The point of the Steven Tyler post is spam and nothing more. It is a cut and past response.

Fireman, be very careful with Duncan's ritual. There is nowhere that is used any longer. It is a very old ritual. It might give you a little help but not much. For example it might say dog when the word should be dogs. (I know dog is not in the ritual, just using an example.) There are words that might start ith the same letters and not be the same word. You might want to see if your coach can help you over the phone or meet you half way. You can learn this outside of the lodge.